The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Rain Over Me

harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Rain Over Me

Post by harsha on Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:58 am

Rain Over Me

Weather is easily the most deciding factor in the metagame; with this knowledge, I set out to recreate another weather team that could duplicate the success of my team "Raining on Your Parade." This team was by far my most successful, as it peaked at 37 on PokeBattleCenter, and 4 on Treehouse. While I retired it a while back, I decided that I did not want to let the concept of Rain go; in fact, I wanted to try it out again. Rain seemed to me like it was the most effective weather, so I chose to make a new Drizzle team as opposed to a Sand team. While looking at Pokemon to abuse, I saw something new: Tornadus. Though it seemed as though he was never used, (He was number 53 out of 53 in earlier OU tier usage statistics) I have found him to be most useful. The team is somewhat unconventional, so I’ll let the Pokemon speak for themselves. First, let’s look at Teambuilding!

Teambuilding:
    My first thought during teambuilding was to make a good Rain team. Naturally Politoed fell into the first slot. I also wanted some weather abusers that I had never used, so Jolteon and Vaporeon both found themselves on the team as well.

Next, I needed some walling. Ferrothorn obviously came to mind because of its impressive mixed walling stats and its 4x weakness to Fire being nullified. He and Vaporeon would form the backbone of the team, I decided. Next Tornadus came to mind, because he also was able to abuse Rain and send out 100% accurate Hurricanes that could wreak havoc.

Finally, I decided to use the unconventional Dugtrio to ease my Tyranitar problems. He would trap Tyranitar and KO it back.

I thought this team would be great, but you can guess what transpired. Chansey and Blissey walled the heck out of me, and I could not even touch them. I decided to tweak my team and give Tornadus a mixed set, while retracting Jolteon and replacing him with Electivire, a Pokemon I'd used in the past. I also made Vaporeon more of an attacker who could sponge hits.

And that's how my team was made!

At A Glance

An In-Depth Look

Politoed @ Chesto Berry
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Rest
    - Scald
    - Protect
    - Toxic
    This is my version of Rick’s ChestoRest Politoed. It reacts to the situation at hand by either Poisoning the opponent’s weather Pokemon, Scalding a Physical Pokemon, or Protecting to scout out moves. If HP gets too low, I can Rest to heal fully including statuses. My Chesto Berry cures me of the Sleep. I may decide to go with Rick’s pure set by replacing Protect with Perish Song to avoid being wrecked by Ninjasks. The EVs give Politoed max Physical Bulk which is important, as many of the Sandstorm abusers are Physically based.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP | 48 Atk | 208 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Leech Seed
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave
    - Power Whip
    This is basically the standard Ferrothorn set that I always run; predictability is not always a bad thing. I can Paralyze the opponent with Thunder Wave, which is important if they are sending out a Speed demon such as Latios, Terrakion, or Thundurus / Tornadus. Stealth Rock is important because this team appreciates all OHKOs, and Stealth Rock helps a lot. Leech Seed helps me recover either this Pokemon, or the Pokemon I switch to. Power Whip helps me avoid Taunt, and is moderately powerful because Ferrothorn has a good 94 Base Attack stat. The EV spread is standard, and gives me a lot of Special Bulk, complimenting Politoed very well.

Tornadus @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 SAtk | 4 SDef | 252 Spd
    IVs: 30 Atk | 30 Def
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Hurricane
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Dark Pulse
    - Hammer Arm
    Tornadus was the original focus of this team, and I can still tell that the idea implanted in him has not failed me. Choice Specs give him an OUTRAGEOUSLY powerful Hurricane, that 2HKOs even resists like Skarmory. Truly, I only find myself using Hurricane, while Hammer Arm covers Chansey, Blissey, and Tyranitar. The EVs are standard, and give Tornadus a lot of SAtk and Spd. The IVs allow me to win all battles against opposing Thundurus and Tornadus, as most people stick with the default 30 Spd for Hidden Power [Ice]. HP Ice and Dark Pulse are just coverage moves that are rarely needed.

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
    Trait: Arena Trap
    EVs: 252 Atk | 4 SDef | 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Sucker Punch
    - Shadow Claw
    - Stone Edge
    Dugtrio is a really cool dude—frail, but certainly cool. If my weather is set up already, I can sacrifice Politoed and win the weather war that will ensue because Dugtrio has the coveted Ability, Arena Trap. Basically, opposing Tyranitar and Ninetails cannot escape Dugtrio since he outspeeds both of them, and usually OHKOs them both as well. Choice Band maximizes my Attack, and the EVs maximize my Speed as well. Dugtrio also functions as a Revenge-Killer, who can kill with moves such as Stone Edge, Shadow Claw, and Sucker Punch. Honestly, the next time you make a team, try out Dugtrio. He may not even be UU, but he can sure pack a punch.

Electivire @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Motor Drive
    EVs: 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Ice Punch
    - Cross Chop
    - Earthquake
    - Wild Charge
    This is the Electivire set that I ran on my last Rain team, “Raining on Your Parade.” Electivire comes in on Electric attacks aimed at Tornadus, Politoed, or Vaporeon. Ice Punch, Cross Chop, Earthquake, and Wild Charge give Electivire perfect neutral coverage, and he has an Expert Belt since he hits Super Effectively on 13 of the 17 types. The EVs give him max Attack and a high Speed to work with, and once Vire is in, he will usually take out 3 Pokemon before being knocked out.

Vaporeon @ Life Orb
    Trait: Hydration
    EVs: 252 HP | 252 SAtk | 4 SDef
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Shadow Ball
    - Rest
    teh vappy!!! Vaporeon was a Pokemon that I wanted to experiment with under the Rain due to RestHydration abuse. Basically, you send super powerful attacks at the opponent, which are boosted by a Life Orb, and then Rest when HP starts getting low. The Rain heals your status, and you are ready to go again. Vaporeon is really another cool Pokemon , and I believe it should be used more with Hydration. Boosted Hydro Pump with STAB, Rain, and its own high Base Power really puts a dent in nearly everything not named Blissey or Chansey. Ice Beam is for Dragons that are looking for a sweep, and Shadow Ball is just a coverage move. The EVs shown give me decent Bulk, and a high Special Attack.

Importable

Code:
    Politoed (M) @ Chesto Berry
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Rest
    - Scald
    - Protect
    - Toxic

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 48 Atk / 208 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Leech Seed
    - Stealth Rock
    - Thunder Wave
    - Power Whip

Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Hurricane
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Dark Pulse
    - Hammer Arm

Dugtrio (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Arena Trap
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Sucker Punch
    - Shadow Claw
    - Stone Edge

Electivire (M) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Motor Drive
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Ice Punch
    - Cross Chop
    - Earthquake
    - Wild Charge

Vaporeon (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Hydration
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Shadow Ball
    - Rest

Conclusion

This team has been really fun to use because I can surprise opponents with my Dugtrio, and Sweep with Tornadus. There are so many attacking options on this team that it’s hard to get bored with it. I laddered with this team in conjunction to “Bulky Offense,” so it likewise has reached number 6 on Treehouse. That’s all! Feel free to rate and comment!

A Final Look

Last edited by Harsha on Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:33 am; edited 12 times in total

Crech

Re: Rain Over Me

Post by Crech on Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:59 pm

I think it looks great. Electivire is so fun and reminds me of when it was still OU. Now it's RU...silly 5th gen...

Anyways, I was hard-pressed to find any way to make this team better, and all I would really tweak is the Vaporeon. I think Surf, or even Scald, is a better option than Hydro Pump. Hydro Pump has 96 base power on average because of its low accuracy, but it sometimes misses against things Surf would kill (weakened pokemon and frail pokemon weak to water). The other small change I would make is the EV spread. Vaporeon already has a very high base stat for HP, so it would be better optimized with some EVs in Defense or Special Def. I would probably go for around 100 HP EVs; you can use this to balance everything out.
    Crossfire12
    Server Administrator
    Server Administrator

The world

Post by Crossfire12 on Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:31 pm

Well you old pal vol is going to get off his butt now and rate so without waiting any longer

A def poil should be a real schock to people as well this is the first time I have seen one and since it can burn as well as poison and protect you got a real nice set there Perish Song could be added if he can't get past cetain pokemon.

Not much to say about ferro as most people use him and I have used him before so the only thing you need to watch out for mangezone with HP fire.

I have seen torandus in action because I have battled Artist's rain team before anyway He can take most of the stalls in Ou as well as sweep if you feel like it not really sure about Dark pulse but then again Torna dont have much sp.att moves with it as it's bro.

Dugtrio is a rare pokemon to see and if you what said is true(yes yes it is) he will be your opp worst nightmare but still wonder if you wanna keep him because I know his def are not the best so he can get KO easy if the pokemon is faster.

Electivire works well with poil as you have said in your last rain RTM not much to say about him he is so so and can do a lot of damage if used right I can't really say another pokemon to take his spot atm maybe I will edit this later.

As said by someone else Vappy with Hydro pump can do a lot of damage if it does not miss so changing it with Scald or surf would be good also vappy has some great HP already so there not much need for so much as I have seen Vaporeons dont have the greatest def out there while it's sp.def seems to be just fine.

I think I have said everything that needed to be said about your team that I have info on so I hope this helps.
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:10 am

Crech wrote:I think it looks great. Electivire is so fun and reminds me of when it was still OU. Now it's RU...silly 5th gen...

Anyways, I was hard-pressed to find any way to make this team better, and all I would really tweak is the Vaporeon. I think Surf, or even Scald, is a better option than Hydro Pump. Hydro Pump has 96 base power on average because of its low accuracy, but it sometimes misses against things Surf would kill (weakened pokemon and frail pokemon weak to water). The other small change I would make is the EV spread. Vaporeon already has a very high base stat for HP, so it would be better optimized with some EVs in Defense or Special Def. I would probably go for around 100 HP EVs; you can use this to balance everything out.

Electivire never deserved to be OU, even in Gen. IV. Hydro Pump is needed on Vaporeon because it's serving as Harsha's wall-breaker, and Surf loses out on many key KOs. Scald is even worse. Regarding Vaporeon's EV spread, I'll do you some magic later on in this rate, alongside some minor suggestions. Gee, it's much easier to type this out from a computer than a 3DS.

Now that I've delineated my thoughts regarding Electivire and the replacement of Hydro Pump on Vaporeon, let's get down to the core of this rate, where I identify some notable weak spots concerning your team.

Gastrodon appears to be a noticeable problem for your team, especially considering that your only method of taking it out is EXTREMELY predictable and can be turned against you (e.g. Magnezone switching into Ferrothorn). Starmie will also prove to be an issue, especially considering that your only method of dealing with it outside of revenging it with Dugtrio, which your opponent can use as set-up fodder for his / her Ground immunity, is walling it with Ferrothorn. So, your main problem is that you rely on Ferrothorn to wall just about everything in OU, and as I've laid out, it's just not possible. A minor problem is sand teams and the Excadrill that usually come with it, seeing that none of your team members are going to enjoy taking a hit from it, not even Politoed, who is 2HKOed by Excadrill's Adamant LO Earthquake. Now, let's tweak your team just a little bit.

Politoed: This set. As much as I hate to say it, especially considering that I helped popularize it, I'd recommend you shift to a Scarfed Politoed so Excadrill won't have as much of a field day against your team as it does right now. I'd recommend this:

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Hidden Power Grass
    - Perish Song / Focus Blast

The moves are self-explanatory. Use it and go!

Ferrothorn: Your defensive backbone, I'm presuming. It serves so many roles in your team, that preservation of it is of your utmost priority. It's to that extent that I'd recommend Shed Shell over Leftovers. It lets you preserve Ferrothorn more effectively at the cost of its semi-automatic recovery at the end of each turn.

Tornadus: I'd recommend U-Turn over Dark Pulse to gain momentum. Since Tornadus forces plenty of switches, you can use U-turn effectively to pick up momentum and keep the battle flowing in your favor. Of course, if you do this, then you'll have to watch out for Stealth Rock.

Dugtrio: Nothing to say here. It works well, but make sure you're not letting it become set-up fodder.

Electivire: I still don't see why you insist on using this piece of garbage, but then again, there aren't many effective physical Electric-type sweepers (what Eelektross?). Just be careful with Shedinja.

Vaporeon: I said I'd work some magic on your Vaporeon, so here I go. First, swap Shadow Ball for Hidden Power Grass, so you can lure Gastrodon in and kill it more effectively. I'd also recommend that you use this EV spread: 180 Def / 252 SAtk / 76 Spd. The EVs might look weird at first glance, but they work. They let Vaporeon take hits better than your current spread and outspeed quite a few Pokemon that would normally outspeed your Vaporeon. The reason for the odd EV spread is because of the massive difference between its HP and Defense (not Chansey, but you know...).

Damage calcs comparing the spreads:

Detailed Result (your spread):
    252 Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs 252 HP/0 Def Vaporeon: 78.45% - 92.46%
    2 hits to KO

Detailed Result (my spread):
    252 Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs 252 HP/0 Def Vaporeon: 78.45% - 92.46%
    2 hits to KO

252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs 252 HP/0 Def Vaporeon: 63.58% - 75%
    2 hits to KO

252 Atk Terrakion Close Combat vs 0 HP/180 Def Vaporeon: 57.11% - 67.58%
    2 hits to KO

252 Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs 0 HP/180 Def Vaporeon: 54.86% - 65.09%
    2 hits to KO

252 Atk Choice Band Scizor U-turn vs 252 HP/0 Def Vaporeon: 61.42% - 72.41%
    2 hits to KO

As you can see, my spread is better at taking hits, letting Vaporeon allot more EVs to Speed.
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:30 am

Even though this team was partially made to test that Politoed set out, you may be right--I think ScarfToed may be necessary. U-Turn over Dark Pulse will be implemented, and I'll change vappy's spread. Though you have a point, Crech, that Vaporeon misses with Hydro Pump, I find the extra Base Power nabs a lot of KOs that wouldn't normally occur. For instance, the standard Conkeldurr with 132 SDef EVs is OHKO'd at full health by Vaporeon in the Rain. Hydro Pump will stay on the set soley due to the Base Power issue, though I wish that there was a more accurate move that could replace it. Electivire worked very well on my last team, but so far, even though there are 3 Electric weaknesses, I haven't found many opportunities to bring him out. I believe he should be UU, not RU, since he has great Mixed Stats and a helpful Ability. Anyhow, I'll change the OP later. Thanks for the rates, guys! I'm hoping this team works out well. Most of my testing was off the ladder, but I did go from 1210 points to 1277 or so with this team. I'll test it out on Smogon or another server and test the implemented changes. Thanks again!

Last edited by Harsha on Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Laddering fixes.)

Gonogo

Montreal

Post by Gonogo on Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:56 pm

I find that this team is great and effective. However, I think that my Trick Room team could cause some problems. Such as slow pokemon outspeeding Tornadus, Electivire and Dugtrio. And in a stall battle, I'd rather see Scald over Hydro Pump because it has more PP and has a 30% chance of burn. Not sure about Electivire though.
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:31 pm

I will repeat, Scald will not be used over Hydro Pump due to lack of power. I don't need a Burn, I need an OHKO. (Can you please change your signature Gonogo? It's GIANT.) Also, I've experienced no problems with Trick Room, since Vappy is fairly slow itself, and it can take hits.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:34 am