The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Fighting Recovery

Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Fighting Recovery

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:39 pm

Fighting Recovery

Argh. I personally despise re-writing RMTs that have taken me over a day to format and write.

Changes made will be in bold.

Introduction

Yes, this name of this team was supposed to be similar to Fighting Gravity's name. Now, onto the basis of this team and what it turned out to be. I developed this team initially as an off-shoot of The Twin Terrors of the Rain to further abuse Thundurus. Many members have entered and exited the team, and those changes have made my team better than it was before. I've tested many Pokemon in the varied slots of this team, and all have worked well in their time. However, their reasons for departure are evident. Now, to explain the pictures and the name choice. However, Toxicroak came along, and the funniest thing happened. It started pulling more weight, taking some pressure off of Thundurus to sweep. I eventually removed Thundurus in favor of Sharpedo, who hit harder initially and didn't discriminate in what it hit with its boosted Waterfall.

Toxicroak and Breloom are two of the most potent and unconventional Fighters in OU, despite the heavy presence of Tornadus and Psychics to hold them down. They each have access to a mighty amount of recovery and benefit from Toxic Spikes. They both benefit from rain with Toxicroak gaining massive recovery and Breloom gaining a neutrality to Fire, one of its weaknesses, from it. They both can cause grief in many teams by their unusual attributes for Pokemon residing in OU. They can work their way through the opponent's team should they be unprepared. The ironic part about this team is that I never thought that the Fighters would be the ones pulling the offensive weights.

Team at a Glance

Importable

Code:
    Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Hammer Arm

Breloom (F) @ Toxic Orb
    Trait: Poison Heal
    EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spd
    - Spore
    - Focus Punch
    - Substitute
    - Seed Bomb

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leech Seed
    - Thunder Wave
    - Power Whip

Toxicroak (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Dry Skin
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Swords Dance
    - Cross Chop
    - Sucker Punch
    - Ice Punch

Politoed (F) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Perish Song

Sharpedo (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    - Waterfall
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake
    - Protect

[spoiler="Team Building Process":5534][center:5534][b:5534][SIZE="3"]Phase One of Team Building[/SIZE]

As I mentioned earlier, The Twin Terrors of the Rain, one of my earlier teams, was my base for Fighting Recovery (which I called Into the Rain back then). However, I only kept the three I felt were the most capable. I changed some sets and items, and I realized that I need three more team members. I never tried out Toxicroak seriously, so I decided to give it a shot. However, I wanted not to use the traditional Bulk Up set or the SD set with Drain Punch. I decided to try out Mynism's Toxicroak because I liked the power and the ability to lure opposing Gliscor in and take them out.

The team at this stage needed a revenge killer that wouldn't compound too many weaknesses on my team (the Rock weakness then was covered by Ferrothorn and Toxicroak) and could turn the game around at a moment's notice. The Scarfed MoxieDos recommended by SoT for AeroMence's AeroTorrent ([URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3731946&postcount=7"]post seen here[/URL]) seemed perfect for that slot. It was fast, powerful, and could beat its own counters should enough damage be built up on them.

I felt that I didn't have enough insurance against opposing sun and sand teams, so I added Landorus, who can take a hit and deal a harder one back to my opponent. Since I already had para support from Ferrothorn and a Scarfed revenger in Gyarados, I decided to go a non-conformist route and use a completely different set than the norm. I also decided not to use Stone Edge, but a completely different move, one that would shock my opponent and (hopefully) throw him / her off their game plan.

[SIZE="3"]Conclusion of Phase One[/SIZE]

With that, I thought the team was complete and that all possible holes were filled. Landorus worked well in keeping pressure on teams that abused the other styles of weather alongside Politoed, and Toxicroak and Thundurus swept generally well enough to earn warm (and cold) spots in my competitive experience. Ferrothorn provided valuable paralysis support, but Gyarados felt the least needed on my team. Granted, it had massive sweeping potential late-game, but it had too many counters (Rotom-W, Ferrothorn) that eagerly enjoyed switching into a rain-boosted Waterfall and threatened with paralysis while threatening my only Electric immunity with a boosted Hydro Pump from the former and a Power Whip from the latter. I was winning battles, but I noticed that I was still having trouble with what vexed The Twin Terrors of the Rain (bar Lucario because of Gyara and Landorus).

I decided to revamp my team even further. I first wanted to test a few sets out, namely Speed Boost Sharpedo, Breloom, and Swords Dance Virizion. I also wanted to remove a crippling Stealth Rock weakness found in Gyarados (whose job is done better by Toxicroak) and Thundurus. However, I wanted not to remove Thundurus, because it was the team's main powerhouse and the focal point at the time.

[SIZE="3"]Phase Two of Team Building[/SIZE]

SD Virizion went over Gyarados because they both are physical attackers. However, the main difference between the two is that Virizion lacked a Stealth Rock weakness, resisted Electric-type moves, and beat Jellicent, Rotom-W, and Gastrodon one on one. What Scarfed MoxieDos had over Virizion was greater speed and the ability to revenge Tornadus and Thundurus. However, Thundurus can't touch Virizion unless it gets a +2 boost in Special Attack and has HP Ice. Tornadus risks switching in on a Stone Edge and getting OHKOed without making a contribution to the battle. My only gripe with Virizion is how quickly it would die off with its notable lack of recovery. Virizion did its job efficiently, but it lacked a means to heal itself up outside of Leech Seed assistance from Ferrothorn.

With the issue of recovery at hand, I decided to try Breloom out because of its access to Poison Heal, a STABed Focus Punch, and the 100% accurate Spore, which, thanks to 5th Gen's sleep mechanics, basically cripples one member of my opponent's team for the rest of the game. However, because of the presence of Espeon and Xatu, I have to be much more cautious with Breloom than I have been in the 4th Generation. It works well, maybe even better than it did in Gen. IV.

I decided to test Sharpedo out over Thundurus to fully remove the Stealth Rock weakness my team had at the moment. Speed Boost works well, and its STAB Waterfall in the rain hits almost as hard as Blaziken's Flare Blitz in the sun once did. Sharpedo's addition to the team also solved my slight Psychic weakness, OHKOing CM Reuniclus and leaving most Psychics in the dust with its STAB, LO-boosted Crunches. Thundurus can't touch it unless it has Prankster Thunder Wave and Tornadus doesn't stand a chance.

The Team in Detail

Male |
    Ability: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk | 4 Def | 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    ~ U-turn
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ Hammer Arm

Why this Pokemon was chosen:

Surprised yet? Well, the fact that I'm using Landorus in a Rain team should cause a good amount of surprise. I use Landorus because I wanted extra insurance against sand and sun teams. EDIT: At the recommendation of a few users, I've changed Landorus's item to Choice Scarf and set it as my revenge killer. My problem with Infernape has been resolved. Adamant allows for more power and can be used because of paralysis support from Ferrothorn. I lead with this by spamming U-turn. I'll finish this later.

Am I considering any changes to this Pokemon?

• Choice Scarf set, upon recommendation. (see next post)

Changes made:

• Scarf over Lefties.

Synergy:

: Ferrothorn, Politoed, Sharpedo
    : Toxicroak, Ferrothorn, Politoed, Breloom, Sharpedo

Female |
    Ability: Poison Heal
    EVs: 12 HP | 252 Atk | 244 Spe
    ~ Spore
    ~ Focus Punch
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Seed Bomb

Gliscor isn't the only one in OU who can abuse a Toxic Orb. In fact, Toxic Orb Breloom was a pain for most people to deal with in Generation IV. However, with the introduction of Magic Bounce and its abusers Espeon and Xatu, I have to play more carefully with Breloom to avoid crippling myself with Spore. I also have to find a way around Gliscor and its old counters, Celebi to be exact. Despite that, Breloom still does itself proud by being an eternal frustration to deal with for my opponent. Breloom is the first half of the Fighting-type core in Fighting Recovery. The EVs are standard, and Breloom hits an extremely high 394 Attack with the given EVs, making its attacks hit hard, even when resisted. Spore is one of Breloom's claims to fame, the other being the recovery granted by Poison Heal. Seed Bomb and Focus Punch hit hard, and can leave dents in Breloom's counters. Substitute aids in prediction and lets Breloom deal some damage before being forced out.

• None at the moment.

Changes made:

• None at the moment.

Synergy:

: Politoed, Sharpedo
    : Ferrothorn
    : Ferrothorn, Politoed, Sharpedo
    : Ferrothorn, Toxicroak
    : Sharpedo, Ferrothorn

Female |
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP | 60 Def | 196 SpD
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Leech Seed
    ~ Thunder Wave
    ~ Power Whip

Entry hazard support and defense against the rare Kingdra are needed for a good rain team. Ferrothorn provides all of that, paralysis support, and an Electric resistance. The rain works smoothly for Ferrothorn, reducing its Fire weakness and giving it the ability to suddenly take more hits. Ferrothorn comes in on a Dragon-type attack too strongth for the other team members to take and retaliates with paralysis, setting Stealth Rock, or . I've been debating regarding Shed Shell or Leftovers recently. Both items have their merits, with the former allowing me to switch out of Magnezone and the latter giving more healing. It's because of Ferrothorn's Thunder Wave that I don't need to run a Scarfed revenge killer. Stealth Rock transforms many would-be 2HKOs on my opposition into OHKOs while Power Whip prevents Ferrothorn from being complete Taunt bait. Leech Seed is a supplement to the recovery of most of the team.

• Shed Shell over Leftovers.
    • Gyro Ball over Power Whip.
    • CB Ferrothorn.

Changes made:

• None at the moment.

Synergy:

: Landorus, Toxicroak
    : Politoed, Sharpedo

Female |
    Ability: Dry Skin
    EVs: 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
    ~ Swords Dance
    ~ Cross Chop
    ~ Sucker Punch
    ~ Ice Punch

Mynism's Toxicroak set is pure genius. Being able to kill counters on the switch is genius. This Toxicroak set has embedded itself in my heart by being so good. Seriously. Try this set out next time you decide to make a rain offense team. Now, this Pokemon is the second half of the Fighting-type core in Fighting Recovery. Toxicroak is also the more offensive, brutal half. It generally switches into Water-type attacks aimed at Landorus or weak Fighting-type attacks, setting up on the switch and battering my opponent's team afterwards. It outspeeds the standard Gliscor and the speed creepers. I can weaken my opponent with the three moves given, and they provide nearly perfect neutral coverage. It's generally bulky enough to live through a weak attack with a good amount of HP left over. Swords Dance is the obligatory boosting move, while Sucker Punch lets me nail weakened Pokemon looking to attempt a sweep. Cross Chop is used over Drain Punch because it's more powerful and the illegalities with Drain Punch and Ice punch prevent me from using it anyways. Try this Toxicroak out next time you make a rain team. It will not disappoint.

• None at the moment.

Changes made:

• None at the moment.

Synergy:

: Ferrothorn
    : Landorus, Breloom
    : Ferrothorn, Sharpedo

Female |
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
    IVs: 2 Atk | 30 SpA
    Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
    ~ Surf
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Hidden Power Grass
    ~ Perish Song

Politoed is needed for this team to work properly. This Pokemon is the reason Toxicroak is even viable in OU (if you can say the opposite, then please do). Normally, I'd be using a defensive set, but I decided to go a more offensive route with this team, so that means I had to drag Politoed a pair of Choice Specs so its attacks hit harder. The EVs are standard, and the IVs let me maintain a base 70 Hidden Power Grass while minimizing confusion (situational) damage. Modest is used because I have paralysis support, and I like my attacks powerful. I sometimes lead with Politoed to start breaking their defensive core down with powerful moves. Should I see that my opponent has a Gastrodon or a Quagsire on their team, then I'll use Hidden Power Grass off the bat to hopefully nail them on the switch. More often than not, I'll be spamming Rain-boosted Specs Surfs, which hit hard, even with Politoed's less-than-average Special Attack. Ice Beam and Hidden Power Grass are there for coverage reasons while Perish Song is used to screw over Baton Pass abusers.

• A more defensive set.
    • Choice Scarf over Specs, for revenging purposes, at the cost of power.
    • Timid over Modest.

Changes made:

• Surf over Hydro Pump; thanks Iconic and San_Pellegrino!

Synergy:

: Landorus, Ferrothorn, Breloom
    : Breloom, Ferrothorn, Toxicroak

Female |
    Ability: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk | 4 Def | 252 Spe
    ~ Waterfall
    ~ Crunch
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Protect

Once rejected by many a competitive battler for its frail defenses and Speed not fit for the OU metagame despite its rather impressive mixed stats, Sharpedo now razes the OU metagame with Speed Boost and powerful attacks boosted by the rain. Speed Boost makes Sharpedo a rain equivalent of sun's Blaziken. I'm running Iconic's physical attacking Sharpedo because I hate Blissey and how it can wall the mixed set. Sharpedo comes in once I can pull a sweep with it. Sharpedo doesn't discriminate with its powerful Waterfall, which can 2HKO some resists should they have some prior damage placed on them. Crunch ensures that Latios doesn't have a field day against Sharpedo while Earthquake was used over Ice Fang because I can kill Gliscor with Waterfall and Dragons fall to Crunch. The only Dragon I cannot kill with my current moveset is Hydreigon, who loses to Ferrothorn in the rain and falls to the fighters in my team. The EVs maximize Attack and Speed while the remaining 4 go in Defense because there's no better place to put them. Adamant gives Sharpedo the strength of Adamant Blaziken and a Speed better than Jolly Blaziken. Protect lets me stack Speed boosts and out-speed the genies and their cohorts. It's the best rain sweeper that I've used in a long while, and it holds a good place in my team.

• Ice Fang over Earthquake.

Changes made:

• None at the moment.

Synergy:

: Landorus, Ferrothorn, Breloom
    : Breloom, Ferrothorn, Toxicroak

One Last Glance at the Team

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Re: Fighting Recovery

Post by harsha on Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:44 pm

I've personally tested, and love this team. I'll rate it sometime tomorrow, though keep in mind, my advice may not be the best.

EDIT: I probably used this team differently from what you intended, but I've often only needed Sharpedo to KO the opponents entire team. A lot of the time, Toxicroak and Breloom are left sitting there without being used. However, given a stray Chansey, Breloom can wreak havoc on the opponent. I find Toxicroak to be arguably the least useful member of the team, though you may play him differently. But I digress; on to the rate!

Landorus: He does his job, and is only stopped by Miss Hax from Stone Edge. Not much to say.

Politoed: Same as above. However, you may want to try a Scarfed variant because he can be KO'd due to his lack of Speed.

Breloom: It works. Doesn't need any changes.

Ferrothorn: That's the same set I run, but it has more Defensive investment. Truly, it works.

Toxicroak: When I took this team out for a spin, I found myself using mainly Breloom and Sharpedo for offensive purposes. I nearly never pulled this guy out. However, he does serve a purpose on the team, and can probably murder Stall. Also, I see that he can get rid of Toxic Spikes. However, you could try out a Gastrodon to stop Thundurus from rampaging if Landorus is taken out. However, since this team is old, you probably won't be making changes.

Sharpedo: I LOVE Sharpedo. He takes down entire teams. Honestly, I see no reason to change him at all. Waterfall destroys due to STAB + Life Orb + Rain. Though he's meant for late game, I often manage to use him early and pull 6-0's.

One thing to keep in mind is that you have no resists to Tornadus, who can be seen (rarely) carrying Agility. If he manages to get one up, the results can be drastic.

Anyhow, that's my rate. You're a better battler than I, so my advice may not be the best. That's basically all I have to say. Good luck!

Last edited by Harsha on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:17 am; edited 2 times in total
    Artist Smeargle
    Administrator
    Administrator

The Fanciest Man

Post by Artist Smeargle on Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:03 am

EXCUSE ME BUT I AM GOING TO HAVE TO CLOSE THIS THREAD AS THAT TOXICROAK IS FLIPPING ME OFF...

But no really, I won't.

PLACEHOLDER FOR RATE

"hiper" --()--

Rika is still dead.

Rips from http://www.pkparaiso.com/ pls give them more credit.

Credit to Mr. Sufat for this absolutely SMASHING avatar.
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:31 pm

Thanks for the rate Harsha. I use Toxicroak to lure out Gliscor, hopefully nailing it in one shot on the switch. I'll finish my retort later.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:27 pm

I assumed that. However, you really don't have many Gliscor problems due to Sharpedo's awesomeness!
    Walrus
    Server Administrator
    Server Administrator

I can shoot lightning bolts out of my mouth!
    BROMACIAAA!!!!

Post by Walrus on Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:45 pm

I don't know what I like more, the team or the pictures...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:39 am