The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

[OU] "a really cool day" (professionally written srsly)

Artist Smeargle
    Administrator
    Administrator

The Fanciest Man

[OU] "a really cool day" (professionally written srsly)

Post by Artist Smeargle on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:29 pm

The Best Team Namer of 2014 Makes an RMT

Aw ye. Not even my "hiper" team. A team that I worked on, and Rick helped with. Not really much left to say aside from that, so I guess I'll get started. IUNNO.

THE MAKING OF.
    Large Things:

It all started with this thing. This big, piggish thing. This ice/ground type that also gets, drumroll, FREEZE DRY. Gotta love that move. Destroys Gyarados, Rotom-W, Quagsire... It's just great. I guess it can also do that really cool priority ice attack thingy, that scares dragons too. Not much to base this thing off of though, it was just an idea.

Right, so I wanted something that could get rocks up, and not be Excadrill. This pretty much meant "make him defensive for once." So, I decided upon this thing that is a tiger and flies and can cause earthquakes. Better than a scorpion that can do pretty much the same exact thing. Having intimidate is a great thing in most cases, it allows him to survive physical attacks with relative ease. I'm still saving most of the talking for the sets, though.

Oooh boy, this thing. This beast of a thing. It's got everything, except protection against Will O' Wisp. Well, regardless, I was looking for something that would have a good priority move, and be able to attack specially. Aegislash was the first thing to come to mind, being able to get a priority Shadow Sneak on those weaker, faster things like Alakazam and get those slower things as well, such as Reuniclus. Though, it left a bit of a fire weakness, so with a combination of Pokemon we have...

Things that came to mind as a threat: Charizard Y, Volcarona, offensive Heatran. Manectric easily outspeeds Charizard Y, beating it, and with HP Rock, it does heavy damage to Volcarona. However, it still does not completely beat Heatran. But, it does give another great addition to what is slowly turning into a VoltTurn team. Not only is it additional Intimidate support after mega evolving, it can do quick and easy damage with Volt Switch. So a team with high defense naturally needs something to take those nasty special hits...

So, I needed a team member that could easily take on Heatran, take special hits with a fair amount of ease, and at least a ground resistance. Well, Rotom-Wash does it one better and is immune to ground attacks (from non-Mold Breaker Pokemon, but there's only about 2 that I can think of that are commonly used, both taken care of by Landorus-T). Not only can it take special hits with relative ease, it also fights off other Aegislash and Bisharp, burning them while either taking their hits with ease or outpacing them. And for an even better bonus, it too gets Volt Switch. However, looking through, I see a lot of switching happening. So, hazards are something I want to be rid of immediately, but I still need something to take on Bisharp just in case, as it gives my team trouble otherwise...

A defensive, non-mega Scizor? Absurd! Well, I say it is not absurd. The last Pokemon of my team was a tough decision, I was looking at some rather odd choices too. Skarmory, the former defense king, being overthrown by the new of 5th gen o' so long ago... Hitmontop, the fighter that had a new career in dancing as of Gen 6, and Scizor, a Pokemon who I found difficult to include in my team due to Bisharp being some form of awful trouble. However, after some help from Rick, I edited my former Rotom-W (who I did not mention due to oldsauce) into a set that could burn the darn thing, and then after a +1 Burned Sucker Punch from it, it still would not be able to 2HKO my Scizor, after SR damage and Leftovers recovery. This, I find, is a beautiful thing. A Pokemon, with Defog, that can take on Bisharp, have good priority, have healing and then proceed to have U-Turn, giving me a fantastic VoltTurn core to work with.

On with the team review itself...

Mamoswine (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Thick Fat
    EVs: 240 Atk / 16 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
    - Freeze-Dry
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Icicle Spear

Ah, Mamoswine. The thing every Dragon/Flying or Ground fears. With fantastic Ice Shards, it's no wonder. However, with Gen 6, it gets a new toy to use: Freeze Dry. Freeze Dry hits Water types for super effective damage, however, a bonus is that it also still hits Ground, Dragon and Flying types with the same effectiveness. That Kingdra you got there? Takes 4x damage from Freeze Dry. Gyarados and Quagsire? 4x damage. Not only does it do this, but it absolutely destroys Rotom-Wash on the switch in, giving a good chance to 2HKO it rather than a forced switch. As for the other moves, they are for the most part standard moves, though Icicle Spear allows Mamoswine to break through Gliscor's subs easily and Earthquake is an all-around fantastic move for Mamoswine, doing heavy damage to those who happen to be slower than it. It prevents many Pokemon from being able to reliably set up, when they would otherwise destroy my team.

Landorus (Landorus-T) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

The thing that started the team as a group of U-Turning and Volt Switching, Landorus-T. I wanted to get Stealth Rock support and a great defense on the team, and Landorus-T seemed to be the perfect fit. With the ability to force switches on numerous physically based Pokemon, it is able to get Stealth Rocks up with ease, or use U-Turn if the situation calls for it. Then with Earthquake, it has an extremely high amount of power and Stone Edge, as most of you know, compliments it fantastically. Earthquake also bypasses Aegislash's King's Shield -2 Attack drop, allowing it to beat non-Automize Aegislash with relative ease. Finally, it covers a lot of the weaknesses from Manectric, Mamoswine and Aegislash.

Aegislash (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Stance Change
    EVs: 248 HP / 248 SAtk / 12 Spd
    Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    - King's Shield
    - Shadow Ball
    - Iron Head
    - Shadow Sneak

Oh, God forbid, it's an Aegislash! Yes, I know. This thing is overused to Hell and back, but it fits well with this team. King's Shield, kinda self explanatory. May -2 the opponent's attack, gets you back to Aegislash-Shield on anything except PO. Shadow Ball, to hit slow things with an enormous amount of Sp. Att, even if neutrally effective. Iron Head is to take on most Fairies with relative ease, who could possibly give the team a little trouble otherwise and Shadow Sneak to get either that little sliver of health left off on a quick Pokemon or to do a good chunk of damage to a Pokemon. Basically takes care of Pokemon who could otherwise cause a bit of trouble to my team, especially the likes of Mega Gardevoir and Mega Alakazam, and being able to do something to both special and physical walls.

Manectric (F) @ Manectite
    Trait: Lightningrod
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Thunderbolt
    - Overheat
    - Hidden Power [Rock]

Ah, my favorite electric type, Blue Jolteon. Is it canon? Yes, it is, otherwise it wouldn't be here. On a more serious note, Manectric can mega evolve with ease and then use Volt Switch to escape whatever the heck may come in. And, Mega Manectric is able to take on 2 Pokemon that gave me concern: Mega Charizard Y and Volcarona, both otherwise being able to come in with Rapid Spin/Defog support and destroy most of my team with relative ease. I run HP Rock over HP Ice specifically for Volcarona, as Mamoswine and Landorus together give me enough anti-Dragon and Flying support, and HP Rock still hits a majority of Pokemon who HP Ice would also hit. Overheat is a great way to be rid of things like Magnezone who could come in and trap my Aegislash and Scizor, who both would not enjoy an HP Fire from that thing. And, it is reasonable coverage to go along with the set. T-Bolt is just for when I do not want to switch or I want power with my electric move. Manectric takes care of a large majority of Water Pokemon, Steel Pokemon and several Fire Pokemon, except for Heatran.

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 248 HP / 216 SDef / 44 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Pain Split

Amazing. Just amazing. Something that fits all my needs, AND washes my clothing! Are you on the ball? You better be, because Rotom-Wash is an amazing addition to this team. It takes care of a mild Bisharp problem with Will O Wisp, it is immune to ground attacks, it takes on Heatran who otherwise may give me trouble and then it goes out of its way and outspeeds Azumarill and burns that thing, making it almost useless. Then, after all that, it's got Volt Switch to keep momentum going, Hydro Pump for the standard powerful attacking move that absolutely destroys Ground and Fire types, and it has Pain Split for when it needs health. Then with its EV spread, it takes special attacks extremely well, something this team otherwise lacks much of. With accurate prediction, this thing can be a monster combined with its other teammates, and is a great partner for Scizor, as they resist each other's only weaknesses and can Volt Switch & U-Turn into each other.

Scizor (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 188 Atk / 72 Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Defog
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Roost

A fantastic addition to my team, something to also take care of Bisharp, who can gain +1 from Landorus' Intimidate otherwise. The EVs are made as so that Scizor would be able to take 3 Burned +1 Sucker Punches from Bisharp, though he wouldn't need to take 3 with a combination of Roost and U-Turn. Scizor also scares out Psychic Pokemon who do not carry HP Fire, hits Fairies with Bullet Punch, and can get that little sliver of HP off a Pokemon if needed. Defog is partially needed, not because I have a weakness to hazards, but because my team is going to be switching quite a lot of times, and I'd rather not be stuck switching into Stealth Rocks with my Manectric or Rotom-W constantly.

So there you have it, that's my team. The pictures were professionally handled and the descriptions were expertly written. Don't use this as an example for your own Rate My Team, go find a better one.

Image credits for the 3D model .gifs can be found in my signature.

For Copy & Paste Purposes

THE TEAM C&P AND NOTABLE BATTLES ARE HIDDEN UNLESS YOU LOG IN

Notable Battles Go Here:

Final Look
    ||

Last edited by Artist Smeargle on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:44 pm; edited 3 times in total

"hiper" --()--

Rika is still dead.

Rips from http://www.pkparaiso.com/ pls give them more credit.

Credit to Mr. Sufat for this absolutely SMASHING avatar.
    Artist Smeargle
    Administrator
    Administrator

The Fanciest Man

Re: [OU] "a really cool day" (professionally written srsly)

Post by Artist Smeargle on Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:18 pm

Currently testing a 248 HP / 132 SDef / 128 Spd EV spread on Rotom-Wash that Rick suggested to outspeed max speed adamant Bisharp. Will post further edits here, and update accordingly.

Last edited by Artist Smeargle on Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:12 am

blah, this is a vicious team worth its weight in salt (even though luck and tilt took its toll on the match where i used my favorite mega mawile team).

sub + 3 attacks kyurem-b screws you over, but then again, it does ruin most voltturn teams out there. rotom-w, which is important in keeping keldeo and greninja from having free reign over your team, is prime set-up bait for the cube. while you have multiple acceptable answers for the cube when it's not behind a sub, it's free to score a large amount of damage to your team once it gets behind a sub. your best option to deal with the cube is to continually apply offensive pressure so that it cannot set up a substitute.

-placeholder for rest of rate. will finish this soon-ish. it's around 1 am pst as of the time this is being posted and i'm really, really tired.-

threats to cover: bisharp, bulky volcarona

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:42 pm