The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Remaking The Treehouse Battle Frontier!

Mamoruo

Remaking The Treehouse Battle Frontier!

Post by Mamoruo on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:40 pm

Hi, I know that the Treehouse used to have a Battle Frontier already and, I was told that it died. I think we can remake it and make it better than ever! I have a group of 3 friends (me being the 4th) who I know will be willing to be Frontier Brains and there are even people in the server who want to be in it too. This can totally happen and I'm sure it won't die like it did the first couple of times you tried it. PLEASE give us the chance to remake the Treehouse Battle Frontier! We can do this!

-Slattern
    -Master of the Pseudo Legends-
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Re: Remaking The Treehouse Battle Frontier!

Post by Roxie on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:46 pm

Like I said on the server (you can hopefully make the connection with my name), people couldn't just be "put" into the Frontier. They should have to meet the requirement of a certain tier for the Frontier (like with the original). Like, let's say for an X/Y OU Brain, you've gotta get a certain rank on the Pokemon Online Beta Ladder in X/Y OU. Then there'd have to be a brain for the different tiers, as well as enough people to FILL the slots. I wouldn't mind casting Curaga (Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts spell reference) on the Frontier, but there'd need to be incentive, as well as people willing to fill out the slots.

Start of turn 1
    Gardevoir has Mega Evolved into Mega Gardevoir!
    Gardevoir used Focus Blast!
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 lost 100% of its health!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

蓝色闪光: ⊙▽⊙
    Shadow Roxas: Noooot this time buddy
    蓝色闪光 forfeited against Shadow Roxas!

The window was disabled due to one of the players closing the battle window.
    Mamoruo

Post by Mamoruo on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:51 pm

Incentive, we have. People, we have. But why can't we just make a Frontier with the people we have? I'm sure we can come up with a faster way to fill in the slots if we really thought about it.

Strikr Eureka

Post by Strikr Eureka on Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:55 pm

I would totally do this, as I had my own server & league that died due to hosting issues. As for the "requirements" I don't think the Ladder would be a good way to go about it. In my own server (and the several I have been a leader/frontier brain in) the trials usually involve battling the host or strongest players in the server effectively as a test.

But I definitely know some people who would love to join in on this too outside of Mamoruo's friends
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Post by Roxie on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:06 pm

What's the incentive? We don't have enough people, I fear, to keep the Frontier in check. There's a few of us on daily (except weekends, where there is a LOT). You can't just have on brain for one tier.

I'm going to refer to harsha's original frontier thread.
    harsha wrote:Yes, I of all people know that we do not, nor will we ever support a Pokemon league. However, I have been thinking it over, and I have decided that we may want to try a frontier out of our own. Now, before yelling about timeframes and such, this would only be open to active members of the community, and it would be within a timeframe (around 10 days - 2 weeks). The format would be something like

3 BW OU
    1 DW OU
    1 BW UU
    1 BW LC
    1 BW Ubers

That's a somewhat good format to go by, even now. Except with the exclusion of DW OU, there could be say 2 XY OU, 2 XY Uber, 1 XY UU, 1 XY LC

Now onto what Eureka said:
    Strikr Eureka wrote:As for the "requirements" I don't think the Ladder would be a good way to go about it. In my own server (and the several I have been a leader/frontier brain in) the trials usually involve battling the host or strongest players in the server effectively as a test.

The problem here is that the owner doesn't battle, and occasionally the strongest players can lose due to sheer luck. I, personally since I had to do it for the Dream World OU Brain spot, think the ladder would be effective and efficient due to you having to work hard to keep your team perfect for the tier you're attempting to try out for, as well as pushing yourself to the fullest potential you can in said tier. I'll use myself as an example. When we first started the frontier try outs, I was infatuated of sorts with the Dream World OU tier. That's all I'd battle in. When I saw the Treehouse Frontier, I became ecstatic and wanted to try out. I pushed and racked my brain so hard for the different possibilities I could use to try to become the Frontier Brain. I worked on my teams non-stop (and unfortunately wound up neglecting some work I NEEDED to do), to make sure they were perfect or near-perfection (to my liking). Eventually, with all my laddering on Smogon and Team building and working on my strategies, my hard work payed off and I became the Dream World OU Battle Frontier once I peaked a certain [high] point on the ladder of that tier. I say all this because of how I believe the laddering requirement can help push people to the point of becoming the Brain of the Frontier they wanted to be in.

Start of turn 1
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

Strikr Eureka

Post by Strikr Eureka on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:11 pm

I see where your coming from for the ladder idea, and it does make a bit more sense in that regard. Guessing it is because I am used to doing the mono-type for gyms and that is how most servers I have seen test out their potential gym leaders. I actually wonder now if my old friend and mentor, Emvee still plays. If he does, maybe I can get in touch with my old PO friends and bring some more people this way too. If what we want are the best of the best for frontier brains, we will need a lot of people on the ladder to prevent monotonous climbing (aka constantly battling the same people)
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Post by Roxie on Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:14 pm

I believe there's something via server window that stops battling the same people on the ladder constantly. Also, in regards to Emvee, I think I've seen him on the Beta ladder once or twice. Not entirely sure.

In response to actually signing up: Should I chose (or time permit me) to try out, I'll be laddering for XY Ubers, as that seems to be surprisingly well for me.

Start of turn 1
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:06 am

Mmkay. harsha was the original creator of the Treehouse Frontier, so I think it would be best if you shot him a PM about this as well. As for why it died, a lack of activity killed it. If you can get it active, then I'm all for it (in fact, I'd volunteer myself to be one of the Brains, should it be necessary). As for format, I'm liking the Brain format Roxas is giving, but I'd like there to be a slight emphasis on XY OU, since that's what most people do play, so something like the following list would be preferable (for me at least):

• 3 XY OU
    • 2 XY Uber
    • 1 XY UU
    • 1 XY LC

This list gives 7 Frontier Brain slots, which should be enough for the size of the server's populace as is. This distribution of tiers puts enough emphasis on what I feel are the most played tiers nowadays. Also, regarding quality control for Frontier, I can handle QC for XY OU and Ubers (although it would mean that I would forfeit any chance of being a Brain to do administrative work) if you plan on having the potential Brains fighting "the strongest players on the server effectively as a test", in addition to the ladder reqs.

Last edited by Trinitrotoluene on Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2
    Artist Smeargle
    Administrator
    Administrator

The Fanciest Man

Post by Artist Smeargle on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:18 pm

I guess it's an interesting idea. I could probably volunteer for something if it's brought up.

"hiper" --()--

Rika is still dead.

Rips from http://www.pkparaiso.com/ pls give them more credit.

Credit to Mr. Sufat for this absolutely SMASHING avatar.
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:20 pm

yo
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Post by Roxie on Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:51 pm

Hi Harsha!

Start of turn 1
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:45 pm