The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Super sparkle sun team~ (Standard OU)

Lati

Super sparkle sun team~ (Standard OU)

Post by Lati on Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:18 pm

Okay, so this is my first RMT here, so bear with me if it looks poor. I apologize in advance if it's boring. This, if you haven't guessed already, is a sun team. I've been using this team for awhile to great success but I feel that there is room for improvement, so let's begin.

Jolteon (F) @ Zap Plate
    Trait: Volt Absorb
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Thunder Wave
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Heal Bell

So this is generally my lead. I don't start out with Ninetails because sand and hail usually get set up over sun and rain due to the speed thing and i'd rather put a dent in or have the opposing Politoed switch out to something else. The reason this thing has Heal Bell on it is because I don't want my team to be crippled by status. It usually gets to use it once and is killed after but the support is appreciated. Thunder wave is to help benefit the slower members of my team giving them the opportunity to out speed and get a kill. The rest of the set is pretty standard stuff featuring Hidden Power Ice and Volt Switch. This Jolteon aims to aid the team by forcing pressure with Volt Switch and giving Toxic'd walls and burned physical sweepers a second chance to show their abilities. Jolteon also is used to take opposing electric type moves, most notably, other Thunder Waves.

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    - Nasty Plot
    - Flamethrower
    - SolarBeam
    - Substitute

Now onto Ninetails. Its objective is to ensure sun is set up to benefit the rest of my team. The main offensive function of this Ninetales is to successfully set up a Substitute on something it out speeds and set up a few Nasty Plots. Usually this is done after the opposing weather starter is knocked, assuming the opponent has one. Solar Beam offers decent coverage, along with Flamethrower, akin to that of the infamous BoltBeam combo. Ninetails takes fire hits for Venusaur and grass hits for Gastrodon. That's about it for this guy.

Gastrodon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def /4 SpA
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Spd)
    - Ice Beam
    - Earth Power
    - Recover
    - Clear Smog

Gastrodon might sound odd on a sun team, however it has produced fantastic results and has proven its worth.The main reason I picked Gastrodon for this team is for Storm Drain, as Gastrodon's main use is to cover the fire types and Landorus-T from water type attacks. Gastrodon is primarily used as the wall on this team. Its moveset is pretty standard except for the absence of a water type move, and the addition of Clear Smog. Clear Smog is there to ruin the hopes and dreams of Pokemon that want to set up on Gastrodon (although steel types aren't affected by it). It's more gimmicky than anything but it has saved me a few times.

Heatran (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Flamethrower
    - Overheat
    - SolarBeam
    - Dragon Pulse

Now onto the big guys. This is the premier special attacker on my team. Heatran is used for hitting hard and taking the fire, ice, and dragon attacks. It is also on the team to protect Venusaur from the sun boosted fire attacks that would kill it instantly. Flamethrower is there mostly due to reliability, but Overheat provides a way means of crushing a difficult opponent, given that drought has kicked in. Solar Beam is there to provide coverage against water types that would wall Heatran. Dragon Pulse is just for the dragon types, which it encounters frequently, as it is a great switch-in on many. Choice scarf Heatran is very reliable, and usually gets the job done.

Landorus-T (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Superpower

Landorus-T is a really reliable Pokemon, and it assists my team in many ways. Its Intimidate ability weakens physical sweepers and allows Landorus and his team to take a physical hit. Its fantastic and uncommon typing protects Heatran and Jolteon from ground type attacks. It completes the VoltTurn strategy with Jolteon, allowing them both to hit hard and leave instantly. It also offers immunity to opposing Thunder Waves as well. Not only does it offer plenty of synergy, particularly with Jolteon, but this Landorus-T is almost as reliable as Terrakion when it comes to speed and power. Superpower brutalizes the pink blobs Chansey and Blissey and steel types. Earthquake is its most reliable STAB move and it hits hard off its base 145 attack stat. Hidden Power Ice is there for Breloom, opposing Landorus, dragons, and Gliscor. Choice scarf ensures it gets its hit in, provided the opponent isn't scarfed itself. It fills the role of physical attacker quite well.

Venusaur (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Chlorophyll

- Substitute
    - Hidden Power [Ground]
    - Growth
    - Giga Drain

Now for the last team member, Venusaur. Venusaur plays the role of a speedy special sweeper. Like Ninetails, the idea is to get it behind a Substitute and then proceed to set up. Hidden Power Ground takes care of most types that resist Giga Drain. The draining move itself utilizes Venusaur's main STAB and provides a means of healing itself. It cleans up Toxic spikes nicely, supporting the rest of the team. Venusaur also takes the grass attacks for Gastrodon and blocks Toxic. Switching into either of these helps it set up its Sub, making it yet another reliable Pokemon for this team. The Lum berry clears any and all status that might get inflicted upon it, particularly paralysis, so it won't get crippled.

Well that's it for my RMT. I hope the read wasn't too boring. Like I said, I know there's some improvements to be made here, and I would like to know what you guys think they are.
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Re: Super sparkle sun team~ (Standard OU)

Post by Roxie on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:09 pm

Lati wrote:

Heatran (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Flash Fire
    - Flamethrower
    - Overheat
    - SolarBeam
    - Dragon Pulse

Now onto the big guys. This is the premier special attacker on my team. Heatran is used for hitting hard and taking the fire, ice, and dragon attacks. It is also on the team to protect Venusaur from the sun boosted fire attacks that would kill it instantly. Flamethrower is there mostly due to reliability, but Overheat provides a way means of crushing a difficult opponent, given that drought has kicked in. Solar Beam is there to provide coverage against water types that would wall Heatran. Dragon Pulse is just for the dragon types, which it encounters frequently, as it is a great switch-in on many. Choice scarf Heatran is very reliable, and usually gets the job done.

I sorta see what you're doing here, but something that Heatran is good for is getting hazards out (Stealth Rock). Using two fire moves like Flamethrower and Overheat is a bit much of an overkill, am I right? I'd recommend changing Flamethrower with Stealth Rocks, and Overheat with Fire Blast (even though it is unreliable). Solorbeam would be good for Venusaur, so I'd swap Substitute (on Venusaur) with it and replace SolarBeam with either Hidden Power [Ice] or Earth Power. Dragon Pulse is cool, but I'd swap it with HP Ice if you opt'd against it over SolarBeam. Choice Scarf cripples it with my recommendations so I'd try using an Air Balloon or Life Orb. So that's all I really got. Hope I helped.

Start of turn 1
    Gardevoir has Mega Evolved into Mega Gardevoir!
    Gardevoir used Focus Blast!
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 lost 100% of its health!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

蓝色闪光: ⊙▽⊙
    Shadow Roxas: Noooot this time buddy
    蓝色闪光 forfeited against Shadow Roxas!

The window was disabled due to one of the players closing the battle window.
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:12 pm

Quick nitpicks. First off, if you want to use SolarBeam, you should have Sunny Day over Nasty Plot on Ninetales. While the use of Sunny Day may seem redundant, given your use of Drought Ninetales, it really helps your team win the weather war against other types of weather teams. Also, for Venusaur, I'd recommend the use of a Life Orb over Lum Berry, Sludge Bomb over Substitute, and an EV spread of 72 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 180 Spe over your current EV spread. The Life Orb grants you more power, and Lum Berry doesn't seem to help much anyways, considering that you're using Venusaur as a late-game sweeper. As I mentioned before, these are just quick nitpicks that should help your team.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:07 pm

Using two Fire-type moves on Heatran is not overkill. One allows Heatran to break walls, the other allows it to sweep.
    Lati

Post by Lati on Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:03 am

Thanks for the feedback on my team. I took most all of the recommendations and they are considerably better than what i had previously on it. I'm not sure about clear smog on Gastrodon though. Its very Situational at best and theres Scizor to worry about.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:35 am