The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse, a Pokemon Online server.

Terrakion's Rampage (5th Gen. Wifi OU)

Trinitrotoluene
    (◠‿◠)
    (◠‿◠)

visionary

Terrakion's Rampage (5th Gen. Wifi OU)

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:14 pm

Terrakion's Rampage

By Cartoon Physics and Kraziub

Code:
    Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Bullet Punch
    - Pursuit
    - Superpower
    - U-turn

Slowbro (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Psychic
    - Slack Off
    - Ice Beam

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Lava Plume
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar
    - Protect

Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Surf
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Trick

Virizion @ Life Orb
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Giga Drain
    - Focus Blast
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Terrakion @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Swords Dance
    - Rock Polish
    - Stone Edge
    - Close Combat

Introductory

To be frank, I have and want to thank Kraziub first and foremost for agreeing to work with me in the development of this team. It all started when I presented a humble idea to him: the use of both Terrakion and Virizion on the same team to break similar checks and walls that bothered each of them. I asked him for suggestions, and we slowly built this team up from the ground to where it is now through a PM conversation, which was unfortunately lost due to a mishap with my laptop and my negligence. With that being said, have fun reading and reviewing this team. I'll try to stay as close to our original thoughts as possible and list out all options we could think of. Despite having two heads to work with, I truly think that this team can be improved somewhat to become a great team.

Team at a Glance

Team Building Thoughts:
    |

I came to Kraziub with the idea of using both Terrakion and Virizion to rampage through OU. He and I talked about what sets to use with Virizion, because Terrakion was set as a Double Dancer beforehand. We talked about the benefits and drawbacks of the CM and SD sets for Virizion, and we ultimately settled on using the CM set to break down what Terrakion couldn't on its own.

|| or

When looking at Pokemon that support both of the musketeers, we thought of using a specially based Dragon to help them break through OU. Eventually, we narrowed our pool of potential team members for this slot to two Pokemon, each respectively powerful in their own right: Latios and Hydreigon. Like with Virizion's set, we conversed about the benefits of either and what they brought to the table. Hydreigon brought valuable scouting ability for this team as well as better physical defense, but shared a Fighting weakness with Terrakion, something that wasn't desired. Latios brought immense speed and shared better synergy with the team as a whole. Latios was chosen. We then thought of the item Latios was to use. Kraziub suggested running a Choice Scarf to help revenge potential threats to the team. I agreed, and that's been the set item.

|||,,,, or

Many Pokemon were considered for the spot of Stealth Rocker for this team. Kraziub suggested Tyranitar and Swampert while I recommended Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Heatran. We discussed the merits of each. Tyranitar could change the weather and trap the Lati twins, who can cause a bit of damage to this team as it stood. Ferrothorn could be another bulwark against rain sweepers, of which there was plenty of. Swampert was bulky and could check Thundurus if needed be. I suggested Forretress because it existed and could give momentum to the team with Volt Switch. I also recommended Heatran because it covered an unnoticed weakness to Chlorophyll sweepers and could fire off powerful Fire-type attacks to drive them away. We discussed the synergy each brought to the team, and we eventually reasoned that Heatran was the best choice, for its ability to stop the Chlorophyll sweepers and the fact that its weaknesses were covered by the rest of the current team.

|||| or

A look at the team as it stood revealed a glaring Fighting-type weakness despite Latios's presence. To this end I talked over with Kraziub over what could stop the common Fighters in OU, namely Conkeldurr. We decided on a defensively-oriented Psychic-type. We than narrowed the pool to either Reuniclus or Slowbro. While Reuniclus has the potential to be more offensive, Slowbro brought better resistances to the table and had Regenerator, making it less reliant on its recovery move. In the end, we both agreed on the usage of Slowbro because of its superior defensive stats and access to Regenerator.

|||||

I decided that Scizor should be the last member of the team because it brought additional resistances, invaluable scouting ability, good defensive stats, and plenty of power behind its moves. It also serves as a lure for Fire-type moves for Heatran to switch into.

With that, the team building processes have been laid.

The Team in Detail

Female |
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP | 252 Atk | 8 Spe
    ~ Bullet Punch
    ~ Pursuit
    ~ Superpower
    ~ U-turn

Our scout, revenge killer, and trapper, all wrapped into one Pokemon. Scizor does it all. I placed it in the lead position in the team previewer to draw out Fire-type attackers to the lead position, where Heatran can make short work of them. More often than not, I'll lead with Scizor and use U-turn to see how my opponent will react to seeing it so early in the game, much like how Genesect is used in the Dream World. However, if I see something like Volcarona that will try to use Scizor as set-up bait, I'll lead with Latios to trick it a crippling item and play around with it from there. If a Ninetales is seen in my opponent's team, then I'll lead with Heatran to play mind-games with my opponent. Enough about how I play the lead game. Bullet Punch is Scizor's form of departing the beloved Pokemon that are weakened and cannot continue much further. Pursuit lets it fulfill its role as a trapper, but also leaves it vulnerable to Magnezone should I not play correctly. Superpower lets Scizor nail Magnezone and other Fighting-weak Pokemon on the switch-in. U-turn is for scouting my opponent's team, and it lets Scizor get a good knock on my opponent before retreating and giving Scizor momentum. The EVs are standard fare and they work.

Synergy:
    : Heatran, Slowbro, Latios

My considerations:

Quick Attack over Pursuit

A more defensive spread

Female |
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SpD
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    ~ Scald
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Slack Off
    ~ Ice Beam

While Slowbro was initially added to wall random physically based Fighting threats (Conkeldurr), it's proven itself to be a formidable physical wall that is difficult to break thanks to its excellent Defense stat and very reliable recovery methods in Slack Off and Regenerator. It comes in when Conkeldurr or other threats start setting up, and walls them until they're forced out. It can then recover itself without relying too much on Slack Off by simply switching out thanks to Regenerator. Scald was used over Surf because of the burn chance while Psychic lets it nail the ever-present Fighting-type Pokemon in OU. Slack Off, in conjunction with Regenerator, lets it live to perform its job for this team throughout the battle and helps minimize residual damage's effect on Slowbro. Ice Beam was chosen over any other coverage move because of Garchomp's relative presence in the game. The EVs are standard fare with the last 4 being placed into Special Defense rather than Special Attack.

Synergy:
    : Virizion, Latios
    : Scizor, Heatran, Latios, Virizion
    : Scizor, Heatran

My considerations:

Flamethrower over Ice Beam.

Female |
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP | 4 Def | 252 SpD
    Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
    ~ Lava Plume
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Roar
    ~ Protect

Kraziub and I considered many Pokemon for this position, and Heatran was chosen for its ability to stop Chlorophyll sweepers that lacked Earthquake or Nature Power (turns into Earthquake on PO) while being able to lay Stealth Rock down and maintain pressure on my opponent's team. She comes in when Scizor U-turns to it or I switch it in on a resisted attack. EDIT: With Slowbro taking physical hits well, I decided to make Heatran Specially Defensive to help make switching it and dealing with Volcarona, a big threat to the team before this change, easier. Lava Plume is a reliable move that has a good chance (30%) to score a burn. Stealth Rock helps the team score KOs and deal with certain bugs and sun teams more easily. Protect lets me scout for Choiced attacks while Roar lets Heatran assume the role of pHazer.

Synergy:
    : Slowbro, Latios
    : Latios, Virizion, Slowbro can take a hit, Terrakion can set up on Ground attacks

My considerations:

Hidden Power Grass to KO Gastrodon / Quagsire

A more defensive spread. IMPLEMENTED

Male |
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
    IVs: 2 Atk | 30 SpA | 30 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    ~ Draco Meteor
    ~ Surf
    ~ Hidden Power Fire
    ~ Trick

Our revenge killer and potential stall crippler. Latios is faster than most weather sweepers without a +Spe nature when Scarfed. He comes in ether when one of my Pokemon are KOed, a staller starts setting up hazards, or when something potentially dangerous starts to set up to attack. In the case of the former, one of the three attacking options are used to nail a KO on the opponent. In the latter two cases, Trick is used to cripple them and force their options. Latios is also used as Pursuit bait so I can get my team members in safely and grant them one turn to set up and attack from there. Kraziub and I debated over whether to place Psyshock or Trick as Latios's last move. While Psyshock lets Latios get a good hit on the Fighting-types of OU, Trick could could be used to cripple stall a bit. With our decision to use Slowbro, we also decided to use Trick over Psyshock on Latios. Draco Meteor lets Latios get a crippling hit on just about everything bar Chansey / Blissey / Tyranitar that doesn't resist it. Surf and Hidden Power Fire provide Latios perfect neutral coverage when paired with Draco Meteor. Trick's purpose has been outlined earlier. The EVs are standard for Latios, while the IVs help minimize confusion damage while maintaining a base 70 power Hidden Power Fire.

Synergy:
    : Scizor, Slowbro, Heatran

My considerations:

None so far.

Genderless |
    Ability: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
    IVs: 2 Atk | 30 Def
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    ~ Calm Mind
    ~ Giga Drain
    ~ Focus Blast
    ~ Hidden Power Ice

Virizion is the first of the two musketeers for this team, and is more a team player than Terrakion. It has better resistances and a better defensive typing while also playing the role of special attacker for this team. It comes in on a relatively non-threatening attack, gets one Calm Mind down, and proceeds to wreck the house with its three attacks, which are resisted only by Shedinja, who is almost never seen in OU. It's also my means of dealing with sand and rain teams, all of which are threatening in their own right. In the case of rain, it can outspeed most of their sweepers bar Tornadus (who is threatened by Scizor and Stealth Rock) and Thundurus (who loses to Virizion should it come in on a Calm Mind and also is threatened by the aforementioned Stealth Rock) and threaten them with its Grass and Fighting STAB. For sand teams, Virizion resists their oh-so-precious Ground STAB and threatens to hit hard with its STAB and Hidden Power Ice. Calm Mind is for boosting its Specially based stats while Giga Drain and Focus Miss are its obligatory STAB, which lets it hit hard and force pressure on my opponents should they lack a Latios, and even then, that can be thwarted by a predicted Hidden Power Ice on the switch and Scizor is always a reliable fall-back option. The EVs are standard, and the IVs let Virizion have a base 70 power Hidden Power Ice while minimizing confusion damage and maximizing Speed.

Synergy:
    : Heatran, Slowbro, Latios
    : Heatran, Slowbro can take a hit, Scizor can take a hit
    : Scizor, Slowbro, Heatran, Latios

My considerations:

None so far.

Genderless |
    Ability: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
    ~ Swords Dance
    ~ Rock Polish
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ Close Combat

Terrakion quite possibly is THE greatest late-game sweeper one can ask for. It's fast, powerful, and can pull the double boosting strategy quite well. If you were to ask me for a recommendation for a sweeper, I'd probably say Terrakion. It's that good. Enough of my lauding though. Terrakion comes in on choiced Ground-type attacks or a Choice-locked Pursuit and sets itself up, using the boosting move needed for that occasion. Once in a while, Terrakion will get both boosts, and when that happens, it's GG unless Stone Edge misses. Swords Dance and Rock Polish are the crux of the double boosting strategy, and it works like this: What is in your opponent's team? Are they slow, bulky walls left over and weakened from my team's assault that won't outspeed Terrakion? Use Swords Dance. Are they fast and frail? Use Rock Polish. Can you get both boosts? You're golden. Stone Edge and Close Combat are obligatory STAB and get perfect neutral coverage bar Toxicroak, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Golurk. Usually, by the time Terrakion comes in, those Pokemon are usually down and washed out, alongside priority abusers such as Scizor and Azumarill. The EVs are standard fare, but I chose Adamant over Jolly because Terrakion is faster than Sand Rush Excadrill in a sandstorm after one Rock Polish, so the increased Speed given by Jolly is less needed.

Synergy:
    : Slowbro, Latios
    : Slowbro, Latios, Virizion
    : Scizor, Heatran, Virizion
    : Scizor, Slowbro, Heatran, Latios

My considerations:

A Jolly nature over Adamant.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Have a nice day.

One Last Glance at the Team

Last edited by Cartoon Physics on Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:10 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : EV changes.)

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: nu:logic - tripping in space - what i've always waited for

harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

you're reaping what you've sown

Re: Terrakion's Rampage (5th Gen. Wifi OU)

Post by harsha on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:37 pm

Cool team to both of you. I have just one thing to say though, a lot of Fighting types you wanted to wall with Slowbro have Guts as an ability, so Scald may give them an Attack boost if they happen to get Burned. Surf also has more Base Power, so it could be a good option. Other than that, I really like the team. Also I do have one question: Why are there 2 Attack IVs on Latios?

Trinitrotoluene
    (◠‿◠)
    (◠‿◠)

visionary

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:43 pm

Cartoon Physics wrote:the IVs help minimize confusion damage while maintaining a base 70 power Hidden Power Fire.

Also, I won't be hitting Fighting-types with Scald repeatedly. That's what Psychic is for. Scald has general utility and deters Ferrothorn from switching in for free.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: nu:logic - tripping in space - what i've always waited for

harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:10 pm

Oh that's smart. And I didn't read the Psychic so Scald would be a better suggestion.

EDIT Haha, probably should have read the whole thing before asking.

Azotal

Post by Azotal on Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:20 am

Awesome team, the one problem that I've noticed is that, simply, if either Slowbro or Scizor goes down, it becomes very had to manage your defenses (still do-able, but difficult). All of your Pokemon are reliant on the two of them, and later in a battle there will be predictions that you'll switch into the Scizor, you'll be hit with HP fire, and it'll all be downhill from there. That's obviously just a hypothetical situation, but with the fall of either Scizor or Slowbro, you have to be more careful about switching in other Pokemon. This could potentially screw up any plan to set up Terrakion.

I'd use a more bulky set on Scizor, as well as make sure a few of your Pokemon have some sort of counter to their own weaknesses, it'll either throw the opponent off, or it could even save a rare situation.

Artist Smeargle
    (◠‿◠)
    (◠‿◠)

The Fanciest Man

Post by Artist Smeargle on Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:36 am

I did a quick look-see-through and it looks rather nice.
    I may add a review later, but I wanted to say this to Azotal;
    If Scizor and Slowbro do happen to go down, there is always Heatran, seeing that it is a defensive set.
    Virizon has the Sp. Def (I think, or at least with Calm Mind) to be an offensive "special wall", though it was meant for sweeping, however, at least Slowbro should stay alive with good defenses and Regenerator.
    Should it faint, physical attacks may, MAY screw you over unless great switches are made, which knowing you Rick, usually are great switches, only a few times have I predicted your switches. Of course, it was usually in a switch fest. No matter. Again, I may add a real review later. I may also edit this message later when my brain isn't hurting from school...

-Signed, Artist Smeargle

"hiper" --()--

Rika is still dead.

Rips from http://www.pkparaiso.com/ pls give them more credit.

Credit to Mr. Sufat for this absolutely SMASHING avatar.

harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:00 pm

I see no problems at all with the Defensive core. Scizor is NOT going to be a common switch into attacks, as Heatran, Virizion, and Slowbro all pack a punch Defensively. Also, the common Tyranitar helps Terrakion's case, as he boosts his Base SDef stat to higher than Blissey's own with Sand Stream. HP Fire is not common, though your coming back into the game recently may have led you to believe it. Unless you are playing a Drought Team, you'll only see 2 or so Fire moves per team. You won't see any on the common Rain team, so Scizor is fine.

Kraziub
    Super Mod Alumnus

Super Mods UNITE!
    Underneath you

Post by Kraziub on Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:58 pm

Artist Smeargle wrote:I did a quick look-see-through and it looks rather nice.
    I may add a review later, but I wanted to say this to Azotal;
    If Scizor and Slowbro do happen to go down, there is always Heatran, seeing that it is a defensive set.
    Virizon has the Sp. Def (I think, or at least with Calm Mind) to be an offensive "special wall", though it was meant for sweeping, however, at least Slowbro should stay alive with good defenses and Regenerator.
    Should it faint, physical attacks may, MAY screw you over unless great switches are made, which knowing you Rick, usually are great switches, only a few times have I predicted your switches. Of course, it was usually in a switch fest. No matter. Again, I may add a real review later. I may also edit this message later when my brain isn't hurting from school...

-Signed, Artist Smeargle
    What am I?Sliced liver?

Trinitrotoluene
    (◠‿◠)
    (◠‿◠)

visionary

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:49 pm

If you're going to address me in the use of this team, then address Kraziub as well. He helped me build this, so he knows this team just as well as I do.

Current date/time is Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:33 am