The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.


    Mamoswine (OU)

    Share

    Poll

    Mamoswine?

    [ 4 ]
    44% [44%] 
    [ 3 ]
    33% [33%] 
    [ 2 ]
    22% [22%] 
    [ 0 ]
    0% [0%] 

    Total Votes: 9
    avatar
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

    Join Date : 2011-12-12
    Posts : 533

    Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Kira Light on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:14 pm

    Hello! I had some free time, so I decided to make a competitive BW OU discussion. In this thread, we shall discuss about MAMOSWINE!





    Once placed in BW UU, Mamoswine now ends up as a rather successful Pokemon in BW OU, as it has the ability to easily check the many Dragon-types roaming freely in this metagame. It also can use STAB Earthquake for nice coverage. Its Base 130 Attack Stat, and a decent 80 Base Speed Stat lets it act as a great offensive Pokemon. It can also set up Stealth Rock, which is very useful. Since Mamoswine usually forces a switch, setting up the Rocks isn't a hard task. The Pokemon that aren't hit by a STAB Earthquake will be hammered by a STAB Ice Shard / Icicle Spear / Icicle Crash. The Twin Tusk Pokemon also possesses a huge 110 HP Stat, letting it takes hit well.

    Abilities:


    Oblivious: Grants immunity to infatuation and Captivate.

    Snow Cloak: Evasion increases 20% in hail.

    Thick Fat: Fire- and Ice-type damage is reduced by 1/2.

    Movesets for discussion:


    Physical Attacker


    Mamoswine @ Life Orb / Choice Band
    Ability: Snow Cloak
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA) / Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
    - Ice Shard
    - Icicle Crash
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

    This is the main set used in BW OU. Thanks to great Attack and Speed, Mamoswine can check a variety of threats, such as Dragonite, Salamence, Landorus, Gliscor and Heatran, amongst others. Ice Shard is a great priority move, and it does 129.38% - 151.88% to Landorus with an Adamant Nature and a Life Orb. Icicle Crash is an Ice-type move that hits harder, which is useful to take out slower opponents. Earthquake nails Heatran and Toxicroak, while Stone Edge is a coverage move that helps you deal with Volcarona and Gyarados. The EVs maximize Attack and Speed, to ease Mamoswine's job as a physical wall-breaker.
    Choice Scarf


    Mamoswine @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Snow Cloak
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA) / Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
    - Icicle Spear / Icicle Crash
    - Superpower
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge

    Stealth Rock


    Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Snow Cloak
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
    - Ice Shard
    - Endeavor
    - Earthquake
    - Stealth Rock

    Discuss!


    Last edited by Kira Light on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
    avatar
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Purple Zigzagoon
    Join Date : 2011-07-17
    Posts : 594

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Roxie on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:21 pm

    YES! Thank you for doing this Kira<3

    Onto the discussion:

    Personally, I absolutely love Mamoswine. Normally, I will always use this in some form of fasion in a hail team. Abusing its Snow Cloak ability, while expecting a hit to almost KO it (due to focus sash if chosen) then strike back with Endavor (which has become a regular set for me when I use it) then Ice Shard the next turn is almost a locked in KO, and it makes people upset whilest I laugh. Mamoswine is also good if going against a Sand storm team, since it takes no damage from the Sand Storm, and then EQ can strike back a bit harder, all while getting a boost FROM said weather.

    It's sad that it gets ruined by grass type moves, ground type moves, and water type moves, since those are it's main weaknesses, but it is still very very powerful. Being able to KO most dragon types with Ice Shard (if EVs are invested correctly) has gotta be a big bounus.

    Basically, to me, Mamoswine is an amazing pokemon, and I honestly think it deserves its current tier in BW OU.


    __________________
    GerudoDesert
    quickest battle ever:

    Start of turn 1
    Gardevoir has Mega Evolved into Mega Gardevoir!
    Gardevoir used Focus Blast!
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 lost 100% of its health!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

    蓝色闪光: ⊙▽⊙
    Shadow Roxas: Noooot this time buddy
    蓝色闪光 forfeited against Shadow Roxas!

    The window was disabled due to one of the players closing the battle window.
    avatar
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

    Join Date : 2011-12-12
    Posts : 533

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Kira Light on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:32 pm

    Zeo Abyss wrote:YES! Thank you for doing this Kira<3

    Onto the discussion:

    Personally, I absolutely love Mamoswine. Normally, I will always use this in some form of fasion in a hail team. Abusing its Snow Cloak ability, while expecting a hit to almost KO it (due to focus sash if chosen) then strike back with Endavor (which has become a regular set for me when I use it) then Ice Shard the next turn is almost a locked in KO, and it makes people upset whilest I laugh. Mamoswine is also good if going against a Sand storm team, since it takes no damage from the Sand Storm, and then EQ can strike back a bit harder, all while getting a boost FROM said weather.

    It's sad that it gets ruined by grass type moves, ground type moves, and water type moves, since those are it's main weaknesses, but it is still very very powerful. Being able to KO most dragon types with Ice Shard (if EVs are invested correctly) has gotta be a big bounus.

    Basically, to me, Mamoswine is an amazing pokemon, and I honestly think it deserves its current tier in BW OU.

    Nice observations, Roxas! Actually, only Pokemon having Sand Force as ability get their Ground and Rock-type moves boosted (Landorus). Sandstorm increases everyone's Special Defense, but not Ground-type moves, unless your ability is Sand Force. Just a nitpick. As for Hail, Blizzard abuse could work to some extent, but 70 Base Special Attack isn't very interesting, not to mention Mamoswine's horrible special movepool.
    avatar
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Purple Zigzagoon
    Join Date : 2011-07-17
    Posts : 594

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Roxie on Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:57 pm

    Kira Light wrote:
    Zeo Abyss wrote:YES! Thank you for doing this Kira<3

    Onto the discussion:

    Personally, I absolutely love Mamoswine. Normally, I will always use this in some form of fasion in a hail team. Abusing its Snow Cloak ability, while expecting a hit to almost KO it (due to focus sash if chosen) then strike back with Endavor (which has become a regular set for me when I use it) then Ice Shard the next turn is almost a locked in KO, and it makes people upset whilest I laugh. Mamoswine is also good if going against a Sand storm team, since it takes no damage from the Sand Storm, and then EQ can strike back a bit harder, all while getting a boost FROM said weather.

    It's sad that it gets ruined by grass type moves, ground type moves, and water type moves, since those are it's main weaknesses, but it is still very very powerful. Being able to KO most dragon types with Ice Shard (if EVs are invested correctly) has gotta be a big bounus.

    Basically, to me, Mamoswine is an amazing pokemon, and I honestly think it deserves its current tier in BW OU.

    Nice observations, Roxas! Actually, only Pokemon having Sand Force as ability get their Ground and Rock-type moves boosted (Landorus). Sandstorm increases everyone's Special Defense, but not Ground-type moves, unless your ability is Sand Force. Just a nitpick. As for Hail, Blizzard abuse could work to some extent, but 70 Base Special Attack isn't very interesting, not to mention Mamoswine's horrible special movepool.

    Thank you for pointing that out. I was thinking all ground moves in general got boosted from Sand Storm. And yeah, Blizzard abuse could work, but remember, if another weather (Sand Storm) gets used after hail is completely gone, it is horrible. And Mamoswine is normally a Physical pokemon, right? That's probably why it has little special moves in the special movepool.


    __________________
    GerudoDesert
    quickest battle ever:

    Start of turn 1
    Gardevoir has Mega Evolved into Mega Gardevoir!
    Gardevoir used Focus Blast!
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 lost 100% of its health!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

    蓝色闪光: ⊙▽⊙
    Shadow Roxas: Noooot this time buddy
    蓝色闪光 forfeited against Shadow Roxas!

    The window was disabled due to one of the players closing the battle window.
    avatar
    Sufat Sheleg

    Treehouse's resident spriter.
    Join Date : 2011-06-27
    Posts : 28
    In your fridge, eating all your ice cream.

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Sufat Sheleg on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:56 pm

    Yay Mamoswine!

    Coming from someone who uses Mamoswine regularly on an Ice Team, I have to say that it really works best while scarfed. It's too slow and surprisingly fragile to not hit first. I run Ice Fang instead of Icicle Crash, for accuracy purposes, too.
    avatar
    Walrus
    Server Administrator
    Server Administrator

    I can shoot lightning bolts out of my mouth!
    Join Date : 2011-04-09
    Posts : 56
    BROMACIAAA!!!!

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Walrus on Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:49 am

    Mamoswine is my favorite Pokemon. Yay.

    Onto his flaws, Mamoswine can't touch floating Steels and Ferrothorn. That's kinda a problem as a wall breaker because they are walls. Therefore, I feel that Mamo+Magnezone is an insane combo. They compliment each other well offensively and can take out many Pokemon that would otherwise defeat the other.
    avatar
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

    Join Date : 2011-12-12
    Posts : 533

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Kira Light on Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:07 am

    Yeah, Magnezone helps taking out Scizor and Skarmory. Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch does 72.1% - 85.36%, which is an easy 2HKO. Skarmory pretty much walls Mamoswine because of its typing. Mamoswine can't do much to Forretress either, so having Magnezone as partner is incredibly useful. Gyarados is also a good Mamoswine partner, because Gyarados can take Fighting / Steel-type hits easily, and Mamoswine is immune to Electric-type moves Gyarados loathes. Gyarados is also a solid Scizor counter, as it resists Bullet Punch, U-Turn and Superpower, and has Intimidate to shut it down. It also counters Bulk Up Conkeldurr, who can easily beat Mamoswine one-on-one.
    avatar
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

    Join Date : 2011-07-13
    Posts : 634

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by harsha on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:21 am

    Mamoswine is a great Dragon killer and hard-hitter, but that's all I'd use it for. Also, I would never use anything that frail with a Choice Band. Switching in and out will really take its toll, and the only set I would run is Life Orb. Admittedly it has worked very well for me, but I tend to make bulky offensive or stall teams (and I've been using solely stall lately), so I don't use it as much as I would like to.
    avatar
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

    smile ◠‿◠
    Join Date : 2011-04-09
    Posts : 717
    「st☆rlight」

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:28 pm

    I don't know if you've mentioned this recently, but Mamoswine works incredibly well with entry hazards and users of Gravity, such as Deoxys-D and Metagross. Having Gravity active ensures that nothing is safe from its STAB Earthquake, which is the 5th strongest overall, and, in OU, the second strongest after Sand Force Landorus's. While it won't be getting past Ferrothorn anytime soon, it can 2HKO it with a LO / Choice Band-boosted Earthquake.

    Also, what's your opinion on the use of Icicle Spear over Icicle Crash as a STAB move of choice?


    __________________

    3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2
    avatar
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Purple Zigzagoon
    Join Date : 2011-07-17
    Posts : 594

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Roxie on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:45 pm

    Rick wrote:Also, what's your opinion on the use of Icicle Spear over Icicle Crash as a STAB move of choice?

    Icicle Spear is a betrer choice if you want to get more out of the strength it has, while Icicle Crash has a higher natural power, with little accuracy. Personally, I'd choose Icicle Spear to hit the pokemon against it a bit more. It all depends on what you perfer, I guess.


    __________________
    GerudoDesert
    quickest battle ever:

    Start of turn 1
    Gardevoir has Mega Evolved into Mega Gardevoir!
    Gardevoir used Focus Blast!
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 lost 100% of its health!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

    蓝色闪光: ⊙▽⊙
    Shadow Roxas: Noooot this time buddy
    蓝色闪光 forfeited against Shadow Roxas!

    The window was disabled due to one of the players closing the battle window.
    avatar
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

    Join Date : 2011-07-13
    Posts : 634

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by harsha on Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:59 pm

    I generally go with Icicle Spear and hope that it OHKOes. If I can't OHKO with my Ice STAB move, I probably wouldn't use Mamoswine in the situation anyways.
    avatar
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

    Join Date : 2011-12-12
    Posts : 533

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Kira Light on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:37 pm

    I would prefer using Icicle Crash over Icicle Spear if I'm not using Superpower. If I am using the latter, I'd use Icicle Spear because Icicle Crash and Superpower on the same set is illegal, unfortunately. Superpower helps a lot against Ferrothorn.

    252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine (+Atk) Superpower vs 252 HP/88 Def Ferrothorn: 78.98% - 92.61% (2 hits to KO)

    252 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine (+Atk) Earthquake vs 252 HP/88 Def Ferrothorn: 49.43% - 57.95% (2 hits to KO if Stealth Rock is up)

    252 Atk Choice Band Mamoswine (+Atk) Superpower vs 252 HP/88 Def Ferrothorn: 90.34% - 106.82% (43.75% chance to OHKO)

    252 Atk Choice Band Mamoswine (+Atk) Earthquake vs 252 HP/88 Def Ferrothorn: 56.53% - 66.76% (2 hits to KO)
    avatar
    Nasira
    Server Moderator
    Server Moderator

    Join Date : 2012-04-08
    Posts : 155
    England

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Nasira on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:05 pm

    Mamoswine can be a beastly Pokemon, when used correctly, but it's rather difficult to use at the moment due to Pokemon like Terrakion.

    Kira, you haven't taken the Attack drop into consideration in those calculations.
    avatar
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Purple Zigzagoon
    Join Date : 2011-07-17
    Posts : 594

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Roxie on Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:53 pm

    Nasira wrote:Mamoswine can be a beastly Pokemon, when used correctly, but it's rather difficult to use at the moment due to Pokemon like Terrakion.
    Place mamoswine under hail with snow cloak with the Endeavor set (ice shard, sr, endeavor, eq, item as focus sash, cant remember evs) and either eq when its on, or endeavor if wanting to be risky then ice shard the next turn normally would get rid of Terrakion, no?


    Last edited by Prometheus on Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total


    __________________
    GerudoDesert
    quickest battle ever:

    Start of turn 1
    Gardevoir has Mega Evolved into Mega Gardevoir!
    Gardevoir used Focus Blast!
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 lost 100% of its health!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

    蓝色闪光: ⊙▽⊙
    Shadow Roxas: Noooot this time buddy
    蓝色闪光 forfeited against Shadow Roxas!

    The window was disabled due to one of the players closing the battle window.
    avatar
    Nasira
    Server Moderator
    Server Moderator

    Join Date : 2012-04-08
    Posts : 155
    England

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Nasira on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:01 pm

    While it would work if it were a one on one situation, you need to factor in the likeliness that Mamoswine's Sash would still be in tact. Even if Mamoswine was the first Pokemon out, Terrakion is normally used later in the match.
    avatar
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

    Purple Zigzagoon
    Join Date : 2011-07-17
    Posts : 594

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Roxie on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:28 pm

    Fair enough. Besides, you could probably figure the calcs of mamo vs terra in that situation anyway.


    __________________
    GerudoDesert
    quickest battle ever:

    Start of turn 1
    Gardevoir has Mega Evolved into Mega Gardevoir!
    Gardevoir used Focus Blast!
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 lost 100% of its health!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

    蓝色闪光: ⊙▽⊙
    Shadow Roxas: Noooot this time buddy
    蓝色闪光 forfeited against Shadow Roxas!

    The window was disabled due to one of the players closing the battle window.
    avatar
    Nasira
    Server Moderator
    Server Moderator

    Join Date : 2012-04-08
    Posts : 155
    England

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Nasira on Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:47 pm

    Terrakion could OHKO with either of its STABs, and while Mamoswine would OHKO back with Earthquake it really hasn't got the Speed to hit first..

    (I'll get 'round to resizing my avatar tomorrow or something. I can't be arsed at the moment.)
    avatar
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

    Join Date : 2011-12-12
    Posts : 533

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Kira Light on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:05 pm

    A non-Scarfed Terrakion loses to Scarf Mamoswine, though. If both are Scarfed, Terrakion wins.
    avatar
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

    smile ◠‿◠
    Join Date : 2011-04-09
    Posts : 717
    「st☆rlight」

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:59 pm

    I'm going to revive Mamoswine discussion by bringing up the topic of Thick Fat. With Thick Fat, Mamoswine loses a weakness to Fire-type moves, and gains a resistance to Ice-type moves. In the rain, that neutrality to Fire-type moves ends up acting as a resistance, at the cost of having its Water-type weakness exacerbated. With the move tutors in B2W2, Mamoswine gets access to moves such as Stealth Rock and Superpower, and due to the release of Swinub of both genders in the Dream World, it also gets access to its pre-evolution's moves. Among them, the most notable addition it got was Ice Shard, giving it a means to check every dragon roaming OU, with the exception of Kyurem and Kingdra. All in all, I'd say that it's been improved significantly.


    __________________

    3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2

    Sponsored content

    Re: Mamoswine (OU)

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:44 pm