The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Speedy Assault (BW OU)

Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Speedy Assault (BW OU)

Post by Kira Light on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:43 am

Speedy Assault

Introduction

Hey, fellow readers. I originally built this team during my free time at school (during lunchtime). I was thinking of creating a new team based around Sharpedo, one of my favorite sweepers in OU. Using it as my core, I added teammates to support it, and it eventually became a fast-paced team that is based around damaging my opponent a lot, to the point when Sharpedo could come in and finish the job. I also needed a way to get rid of threats to the sweep (Gyarados, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, etc.) which leads me to the teambuilding phase.

I chose Speedy Assault as the team's name, since its composed of fast Pokemon that like to attack using Speed to their advantage. Sharpedo, the main star of the team, can outspeed pretty much the whole metagame after a couple of Speed boosts provided by its useful ability that complements it extremely well. Regarding the formatting, I'd like to give Wario is OSSIM a shout-out, since it greatly resembles the one he used for one of his excellent teams: Fighting Recovery. I used it as an example and started the creation of the RMT.

Importable

Code:
    Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Earthquake
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Heatran @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP / 100 SpD / 160 Spe
    Calm Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Lava Plume
    - Toxic
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar

Slowbro (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Thunder Wave
    - Scald
    - Ice Beam
    - Slack Off

Magnezone @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 36 HP / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Thunderbolt
    - Charge Beam
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Virizion @ Life Orb
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 104 Atk / 152 SpA / 252 Spe
    Hasty Nature (+Spe, -Def)
    - Work Up
    - Close Combat
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Sharpedo (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Protect
    - Crunch
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Fang

The Team at a Glance

The Team in Detail

Male |
    Ability: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA
    Naive Nature
    ~ U-Turn
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ Hidden Power [Ice]

Why this Pokemon was chosen:

Landorus is a huge help on this team, seeing as it can properly revenge-kill several threats with a Choice Scarf. Aside from being the fastest member of the team (without boosts), Landbro lets me spam U-Turns to scout, and maintain offensive pressure on my opponent. Its presence gives me extra insurance against Sun and Sand teams, who could have been problematic otherwise. Earthquake is its primary STAB choice, and it lets me hit decently hard to revenge-kill. Terrakion, Infernape and Tyranitar often flee at the sight of Landorus, which allows me to keep the U-Turn spamming alive. Stone Edge lets me revenge-kill Volcarona after it has used a Quiver Dance. That move is also boosted in Sandstorm thanks to Sand Force. Hidden Power [Ice] is anathema to Gliscor, who would wall Landbro otherwise. It can also hold its own on the defensive side. Paired with a great defensive typing, the Abundance Pokemon can often switch into moves it resists. It is also immune to Toxic Spikes and Spikes, two factors that would be a huge nuisance. Its weakness to Water and Ice type moves is covered by other team members like Slowbro. The latter can also switch into Landorus if targeted by Electric moves. Their synergy together is nice. The EVs for this set max out Attack and Speed, to ease Landorus' role as a revenge-killer and scout.

Am I considering any changes to this Pokemon?

• None, at the moment.

Changes made:

• None.

Synergy:

Sharpedo, Magnezone, Heatran, Slowbro
    Sharpedo, Slowbro, Virizion

Female |
    Ability: Speed Boost
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    ~ Protect
    ~ Waterfall
    ~ Crunch
    ~ Ice Fang

Sharpedo does amazingly well in OU, thanks to the ability it gained in 5th Gen: Speed Boost. Being the main star of the team, this shark is often a formidable late-game sweeper. Having a great Attack Stat, it can easily rip apart the opponent, when it is weakened by hazards. Protect allows me to scout, as well as giving myself a turn for Speed Boost to start activating. Waterfall is the main STAB option that allows me to take care of many threats in OU, such as Terrakion, Landorus and Volcarona. Its power is amazing, especially with the Life Orb boost granted to Sharpedo. Crunch lets me beat several Psychic and Ghost types, like Reuniclus, Latias, Latios and Gengar, whom Sharpedo outspeeds at +1. Ice Fang is a coverage moves that allows me to beat Dragons like Dragonite and Hydreigon, as well as the popular Tornadus in Rain. Hazard support really helps this guy out, as it allows it to grab KOs that would normally be 2HKOs. I'll usually bring her in once its counters are removed from the game. She will always be a huge threat, especially to rain teams. The EVs max out Attack and Speed, which is only normal for a totally offensively-oriented Pokemon. The Adamant nature lets me hit even harder.

• None, at the moment.

Changes made:

• None.

Synergy:

Slowbro, Landorus
    Magnezone, Landorus, Virizion
    Magnezone, Heatran, Virizion

Female |
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP / 100 SpD / 160 Spe
    Calm Nature
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Lava Plume
    ~ Toxic
    ~ Roar

Heatran is the solid defensive backbone of my team. Its presence is important, since I needed hazards in order to help Sharpedo sweep. It could also absorb Fire-type attacks directed towards Magnezone. Following New World Order's suggestion of using a Specially Defensive Heatran, I tested out and got magnificent results. It allowed me to take hits longer throughout the match. Stealth Rock is the mandatory hazard that allows extra insurance against the powerful threats Dragonite and Volcarona, who each come in at 75% and 50% health respectively after Stealth Rock damage. Lava Plume allows me to hit Scizor and Ferrothorn, as well as having a 30% chance of burn. That secondary effect often allowed me to win important matches. Toxic lets me beat Stall, and with Heatran's nice bulk and typing, stalling is viable. Roar allows me to phaze away threats that try to use Heatran as a set up bait, as well as forcing the incoming Pokemon to get hit by Stealth Rock damage. Leftovers allows recovery each turn, which enhances survivability.

• None, at the moment.

Changes made:

• None.

Synergy:

Landorus, Virizion
    Slowbro, Virizion
    Slowbro, Landorus

Genderless |
    Ability: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe | 2 Atk / 30 Def
    Modest Nature
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Charge Beam
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Hidden Power [Ice]

I needed to eliminate Forretress and Ferrothorn, two threats that would be a nuisance to Sharpedo's sweep. I also didn't want Scizor to revenge-kill it with Bullet Punch, so I brought in Magnezone to trap it and take it out. In that case, I usually leave out with a Substitute and a couple of Charge Beam boosts. It means I pretty much guarantee to hit the incoming Pokemon really hard, whilst it attempts to break my Substitute. Oftentimes, Magnezone actually does the sweeping. The Modest Nature is used to maximize power. Thunderbolt allows me to hit very hard after some Charge Beam boosts. Hidden Power is a coverage move that allows me to beat Landorus and Gliscor, after they break the Substitute with Earthquake. The IVs minimize confusion damage, which is situational, but helpful. Losing an IV point in Defense is preferred over losing an IV point in Speed, because of the Speed ties I would immediately lost out on. Magnezone also allows me to trap Skarmory and eliminate it, which allows Sharpedo to come in later in the game and start sweeping.

• None, at the moment.

Changes made:

• None.

Synergy:

Landorus, Virizion, Heatran (Air Balloon)
    Heatran, Slowbro
    Slowbro, Landorus

Male |
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
    Bold Nature
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Scald
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Slack Off

Slowbro is an important piece of the team. It allows me insurance against important physical threats in OU, who would be able to decimate my team without Slowbro's presence. Terrakion would be one of them. The Hermit Crab Pokemon also has access to Regenerator, which enhances its survivability and guarantees its capability of taking numerous hits without having its health too much affected after each switch in. This EV spread allows it to take hits on the physical side very well, thanks to its 95 base HP and 110 base Defense. Its typing allows it to shut down the many Fighting types in OU, like Lucario, Virizion and the aforementioned Terrakion. The Bold nature increases Defense, obviously, at the cost of the irrelevant Attack it doesn't need at all. Leftovers allows it to increase its survivability as well, as 6% health increase per turn will make a difference between a 2HKO and a 3HKO. Psychic is important, as it lets me beat Bulk Up Conkeldurr, who would be a threat otherwise. I implemented Psychic after a couple of users' recommendation. Scald is the main STAB, and it will do a decent amount to anything that will not resist it. The 30% chance of burn it occasionally provides has been extremely helpful to beat late-game physical sweepers who were starting to set up. Ice Beam hits Dragon types like Dragonite, and allows Slowbro to avoid being set-up bait. Slack Off is a reliable recovery move that is often used to stall an opponent, or just enjoy getting 50% of health back.

• Fire Blast over Ice Beam / Thunder Wave in order to hit Ferrothorn and Scizor.

Changes made:

• None.

Synergy:

Magnezone, Landorus
    Magnezone, Heatran
    Magnezone, Heatran, Terrakion, Sharpedo
    Magnezone, Heatran, Sharpedo
    Magnezone, Heatran, Terrakion, Landorus

Female |
    Ability: Justified
    EVs: 104 Atk / 152 SpA / 252 Spe
    Hasty Nature
    ~ Work Up
    ~ Giga Drain
    ~ Close Combat
    ~ Hidden Power [Ice]

Up to this point, Rotom-W was a huge problem to deal with. I needed something that could switch into its STAB moves. New World Order suggested Work Up Virizion. After some testing, its usefulness was already felt. The Work Up set works well for my team, as it can set itself up in both Attack and Special Attack, letting it counter Pokemon that are both physically defensive and specially defensive. For instance, it can beat Blissey and Chansey with Close Combat, whilst the Calm Mind set would not allow. Virizion's base 129 Special Defense is amazing. Giga Drain lets me hit modestly hard after a couple of boosts, and it allows HP recovery to increase survivability. Hidden Power [Ice] is for Gliscor and Dragons. Dragonite resists both of Virizion's STAB, so HP Ice comes often in handy when facing it. The EVs max Speed, whilst investing in both Attack and Special Attack, seeing as this is a Mixed Attacker set. Life Orb was chosen as item, since it allowed Virizion to hit a tad harder, which often made the difference in some matches. Giga Drain will be recovering most of the Life Orb recoil anyways.

• None, at the moment.

Changes made:

• None.

Synergy:

Slowbro, Magnezone, Sharpedo
    Sharpedo, Slowbro, Heatran
    Slowbro, Sharpedo
    Magnezone

Closing Comments

I'd like to thank Rick and Harsha for helping me test this team. A special mention to Rick for this amazing formatting. This man is brilliant. Thanks for reading, everyone!

Last edited by Kira Light on Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Re: Speedy Assault (BW OU)

Post by harsha on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:42 am

The only thing I would consider changing is using an offensive Heatran over your current variant, but you rely on this to sponge some hits, so I would take this with a grain of salt. Good team, I hope you continue using it in a metagame filled with only VoltTurn.
    Nasira
    Server Moderator
    Server Moderator

England

Post by Nasira on Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:02 pm

The team's brilliant and everything. However, I have a complaint. The name is misleading since only 3 of your Pokemon are actually 'Speedy', and two are completely defensively orientated. Razz
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:11 pm

Moving to the archive. Excellent team, Kira.
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:03 pm

Yay, I was praised. Yea, this team definitely is Archive-worthy.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:37 am