The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

ZeroBanshee's First Team (Wifi NU)

ZeroBanshee

ZeroBanshee's First Team (Wifi NU)

Post by ZeroBanshee on Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:22 pm

Introduction

I've been debating about getting into competitive battling for a while, and after looking through Tier Lists, Pokemon, and YouTube videos I decided to go with NU as my Tier of choice. The largest reason I chose NU, is that most of my favorite Pokemon fall into that Tier. I'd much rather use a Pokemon I'm familiar with and really like, rather than a Pokemon that falls on a higher Tier. Because that's what it alls down to, enjoying the game.
    Anywho, let's begin.

The Team At A Glance

The Team In Detail

Fluttershy

Female | Choice Scarf | Compoundeyes
    4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    ~ Sleep Powder
    ~ Stun Spore
    ~ Bug Buzz
    ~ Shadow Ball

First, my lead Fluttershy. I chose it as my lead because along with the Choice Scarf, it's usually faster than most Pokemon. There's only a few Pokemon (Electrode, Jolteon, etc) that are faster, and I've got Pokemon to deal with those accordingly. Anyways, I send out Butterfree as a scout, and see what I'm up against. I almost always lead with Sleep Powder, stopping any attempts to Spike, Sub, Swords Dance, etc. With Compoundeyes, I have a 97.5% accuracy rate with Sleep Powder.
    Anyways, since I'm Choice Scarfed, and due to the Sleep Clause I am forced to switch out. Normally my opponent switches out here too, so I've effectively stopped one of their Pokemon.
    For mid and Late game strategy, I can't really switch out to Fluttershy. She's really fragile, and most attacks will OHKO her. If I can get the free switch in, I usually do. I can either Sleep Powder if the Sleeping Pokemon had fainted or woke, or Stun Spore. I also have Bug Buzz for annoying Psychic Types, and Shadow Ball for Ghost Types & Dark Types.

Dill Pickle

Male | Leftovers | Suction Cup
    252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    ~ Curse
    ~ Recover
    ~ Toxic
    ~ Seed Bomb

This was one of the first Pokemon I tested in NU, and I absolutely love Cradily. To explain my EV's, I maximized SDef and HP fr Special Bulk, and with Curse I can build my Physical Defences as well. Cradily is my staller in my group, but I've ended up sweeping with him for the lawlz. With Recover I can guarantee he can stay out for a while, and with Toxic I can guarantee the Opponent won't. Suction Cups was my preferred ability, because I hate being forced to switch out after Cursing a few times. Also, the strategy remains the same for Early, Mid or Late game. Cradily is a very dependable Pokemon to send out, it's my Emergency Pokemon. If I'm in trouble and need to think on a tactic, I can rely on my Dill Pickle.

Teddy Grams

Male | Toxic Orb | Guts
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    ~ Swords Dance
    ~ Facade
    ~ Crunch
    ~ Close Combat

Obviously my Physical Sweeper. This is usually who I switch too after Sleep Powder, because after I switch the Toxic Orb activates immediately. If I don't switch immediately, I do a Swords Dance as filler until the Toxic Orb activates.
    Facade is definitely my main move. With STAB, Guts, EV's and Poisoned, Facade can have up to 210 Base Power. It's almost always a guaranteed OHKO unless I'm up against a Phys Wall or a Focus Sash. Close Combat is for Rock Types and Ice types, and Crunch is for pesky Ghost types. Overall, a very dependable Phys Sweeper. I was using a Raticate for this technique, but soon found out that Ursaring was a much better fit for my team overall.

Sneezing

Male | Leftovers | Levitate
    252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    ~ Clear Smog
    ~ Toxic
    ~ Protect
    ~ Explosion

Lately I've been considering changing Weezing out of my team. He's a good, dependable Pokemon, but lately it seems like I'm not getting much done with him. I had Clear Smog to reset the stat changes, which works great. Other than that though, it seems like he just stalls. And Cradily does that VERY well. I made Sneezing as a means to basically reset stat changes, toxic anything that comes out, then WTF BOOM as a last resort. Protect's there to Scout to see what the opponent has planned.

Gay Tree

Male | Leftovers | Chlorophyll
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    ~ Sunny Day
    ~ SolarBeam
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Synthesis

My Special Sweeper. I always lead with Sunny Day, to both boost Gay Tree's speed, and to spam SolarBeam if necessary. Psychic is there for STAB, and for types that are resistant against Grass Type moves. Synthesis is another move I chose to go along with the Sunny Day theme, as it works wonderfully. It usually keeps my Gay Tree alive for quite some time, unless if I get swept by a Phys Attacker or get STAB'ed.

Peekaboo

Male | Lightball | Static
    Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
    ~ Grass Knot
    ~ Nasty Plot
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Magnet Rise

And finally, Peekaboo. This is a backup for my Gay Tree, as well as a followup for what the other's can't control. It helps out with type coverage, and when played right can decimate. If I can get off a Nasty Plot without getting KO'ed, I have the option of Tbolting everything within sight. Grass Knot was my main choice against Rock and Ground type users. Overall, Peekaboo is another Pokemon I might get rid of, since it's very frail and I end up not using it as often as what I should be.

One Last Glance At The Team

Nasira
    Server Moderator
    Server Moderator

England

Re: ZeroBanshee's First Team (Wifi NU)

Post by Nasira on Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:40 am

Since you're using Pokemon which are familiar to you, I will not suggest replacement Pokemon, but instead tell you how some sets could be improved.

Your Butterfree's set is interesting, but a Quiver Dance set could work better using the same EVs and Nature alongside Bug Buzz, Sleep Powder and Hidden Power Ground. Alternatively, changing Shadow Ball to U-turn could allow Butterfree to gain a little momentum as it switches out since you have referred to it as a scout, and Shadow Ball doesn't offer much coverage with Bug Buzz. (You also mention about Shadow Ball helping against Dark types, when Dark resists Ghost. However, Bug moves are Super Effective against Dark types.)

The Cradily set is very effective, but it may be more beneficial to your team to change it's role to a Supporter, laying down Stealth Rocks to weaken your opponents Pokemon and help your sweepers.

Personally, the Ursaring I use is Flame Orb alongside its Quick Feet Ability as I find it more useful to outspeed a lot of Pokemon. Jolly Ursaring with Quick Feet can reach close to 350 speed, with Adamant reaching about 310. However, this would mean a drastic drop in power which could be amended by running a Swords Dance Set with the same moves you're running now. These two sets play very differently, but I think it's definitely worth testing. Also the Burn Orb is likely to be more efficient for a sweep as it will do less damage to Ursaring overall.

For any Pokemon Explosion is pointless now, as it got nerfed this Generation and Weezing is no different. Changing Explosion to Pain Split will definitely help you out, and changing Protect to another attacking move such as Sludge Bomb or Fire Blast may also help. You should also consider switching Toxic for Will-O-Wisp to hinder Physical Attackers, but you may find that Toxic allows you to stall Pokemon out with more ease. Protect could also be replaced by Will-O-Wisp to create a Double Status set, but I do not think it would be that effective.

Exeggutor should be more focused on attacking, by replacing Synthesis with either Hidden Power Ice or Hidden Power Fire to provide more type coverage. Replacing the Leftovers with a Life Orb would help to power up Exeggutors attacks and do as much damage as possible in the 5 turns of Sun you will get, even though it will decrease Exeggutor's longevity.

I know at the beginning of the post I said I would not replace Pokemon, but Pikachu is simply awful, and I cannot see how it helps your team. In its place I would recommend an Offensive Cryogonal with the set of Ice Beam/Rapid Spin/Hidden Power Ground/Recover. Not only is Ice a fantastic attacking type, but Rapid Spin will allow your team to switch in more (most drastically Butterfree, who takes 50%). Cryogonal is however extremely frail to Physical Attacks, but Weezing and Cryogonal may be able to function as a Defensive Core due to Cryogonal's excellent Special Bulk. The EVs listed on Smogon for this set seem most effective, so use the spread of 88 HP, 252 Special Attack and 168 Speed with a Timid nature should be used along with Leftovers or a Life Orb depending on your preference.
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by Kira Light on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:34 pm

Hey, ZeroBanshee! Very-well presented RMT! On to the rate.

ShellSmash Gorebyss seems to cause your team problems. If it has a chance to set up, it can sweep your entire team. I would replace Pikachu by a Substitute + Nasty Plot Jynx. Thanks to her wonderful ability, Dry Skin, Jynx is immune to Water-type attacks, which prevents a Surf sweep from Gorebyss. It also resists Ice Beam. Jynx usually forces out switches, which gives her the opportunity to set up a Substitute. After that, you can either set up a Nasty Plot, or attack using Ice Beam. Psychic is a secondary STAB move that lets you beat Sawk, behind a Substitute.

Jynx @ Leftovers | Dry Skin
    8 HP | 248 SpA | 252 Spe
    Substitute | Nasty Plot | Ice Beam | Psychic

The EVs maximize Special Attack and Speed, which allows it to sweep effeciently. For Butterfree, I'd recommend you use a Quiver Dance set, since the Choice Scarf is rather redundant, since Butterfree is naturally slow and won't be able to switch moves. Sleep Powder puts something to sleep, which allows Butterfree to set up a Quiver Dance. Bug Buzz hits hard, and if the opponent resists it, Bug Buzz has its power doubled because of its ability, Tinted Lens. Hidden Power [Ground] nails Probopass.

Butterfree @ Life Orb | Tinted Lens
    252 SpA | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
    Sleep Powder | Quiver Dance | Bug Buzz | Hidden Power Ground

Nice team, and good luck!
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:33 pm

Just gonna hop in and say that Explosion's nerf is nowhere near as bad as people say it is. Seriously. When a move is 250 Base Power, that is not nerfed. Sure it's not 500, but what other move in the game has 250 Base Power?

Also, how does SS Gorrebyss get past Cradily? (Replace the ability with Storm Drain though.)
    Nasira
    Server Moderator
    Server Moderator

England

Post by Nasira on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:00 pm

Even though Explosion is still has 250 base power, it's not going to do much damage off of 216 Attack, so it's really not worth sacrificing such a bulky Pokemon.

Ice Beam is Super Effective against Cradily, so even if it was at Full HP it would be a OHKO after any entry hazard damage 100% of the time (Providing Gorebyss was Modest). If Gorebyss was Timid it would still do at least 89.4%, but could still be a OHKO. (The calculations were ran on a Positive natured Cradily with may EVs)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the calculations were for a +2 Gorebyss.
    ZeroBanshee

Post by ZeroBanshee on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:23 pm

First thing, I really don't mind you guys suggesting new Pokemon. It's why I posted here in RMT, I love feedback. Anything to suggest, whether it's sets, Pokemon or just techniques, I'm always willing to give it a shot.

Your Butterfree's set is interesting, but a Quiver Dance set could work better using the same EVs and Nature alongside Bug Buzz, Sleep Powder and Hidden Power Ground. Alternatively, changing Shadow Ball to U-turn could allow Butterfree to gain a little momentum as it switches out since you have referred to it as a scout, and Shadow Ball doesn't offer much coverage with Bug Buzz.

I really like the idea with U-Turn actually. I never thought about that! XD With the choice scarf I could almost guarantee going first, so it makes perfect sense to try out. It's definitely something I'd have to try doing.

The Cradily set is very effective, but it may be more beneficial to your team to change it's role to a Supporter, laying down Stealth Rocks to weaken your opponents Pokemon and help your sweepers.
    This is actually something I've been highly considering. Changing Weezing's role to a Def. Tank, and my Cradily to a supporter. If I remove Toxic, and add in Stealth Cocks, it'd be a lot more beneficial, and add more strategy to my team. (Especially against Baton teams, and U-Turn teams.)

The EVs maximize Special Attack and Speed, which allows it to sweep effeciently. For Butterfree, I'd recommend you use a Quiver Dance set, since the Choice Scarf is rather redundant, since Butterfree is naturally slow and won't be able to switch moves. Sleep Powder puts something to sleep, which allows Butterfree to set up a Quiver Dance. Bug Buzz hits hard, and if the opponent resists it, Bug Buzz has its power doubled because of its ability, Tinted Lens. Hidden Power [Ground] nails Probopass.
    I'm tempted to try this idea, but I'm not really interested in sweeping with Butterfree. Butterfree's my Setup/Stall Pokemon. It's designed to give me a free turn to switch into another Pokemon, Scout to see what the Opponent's got planned, as well as put one of his Pokes to sleep.

I would replace Pikachu by a Substitute + Nasty Plot Jynx. Thanks to her wonderful ability, Dry Skin, Jynx is immune to Water-type attacks, which prevents a Surf sweep from Gorebyss. It also resists Ice Beam. Jynx usually forces out switches, which gives her the opportunity to set up a Substitute. After that, you can either set up a Nasty Plot, or attack using Ice Beam. Psychic is a secondary STAB move that lets you beat Sawk, behind a Substitute.
    HOWEVER, I definitely will try this Set out. It just sounds awesome, and it sounds like it could mesh well with my team. So, I'll give it a shot!

(OOC: You guys sure work fast with Spammers!)
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:25 pm

With a Modest nature, Gorrebyss does at most 89%, and Cradily resists SR and Spikes are near nonexistent in the NU metagame. All you do is sac something and kill Gorrebyss with Seed Bomb.
    ZeroBanshee

Post by ZeroBanshee on Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:27 pm

I'm not only worried about Gorebyss though. I'm thinking as a well rounded strategy. I'm not trying to block just one Pokemon, I'm concerned about the Metagaame as a whole. I may use the team against other tiers or randoms, it's all for fun. I'm not really worried about Ladder just yet. xD
    Nasira
    Server Moderator
    Server Moderator

England

Post by Nasira on Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Harsha, either my calculator is wrong (It is just an android app Razz) or it does 98%+ .-.
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by Kira Light on Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:03 pm

Well, most Gorebyss will be using a White Herb, which means Defense won't be lowered. With a 105 Base Defense Stat, Gorebyss can still live a Seeb Bomb, and OHKO / 2HKO the Cradily. Aside from Cradily, all team members are swept, though.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:34 am