The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Pokemon Online, 5th generation review~!

Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Pokemon Online, 5th generation review~!

Post by Roxie on Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:56 pm

Pokemon Online, the 5th generation Simulator!
    A PO Review by Michael Abyss

Okay, I am a nerd. I love Pokemon, Beyblades, and similar interests. I had the idea to do this once before, but I was unsuccessful and gave up (since I was using three different simulators instead of one). This simulator is currently in version 1.0.53 (unless you decide to go with Smogon University's version, which is 1.0.53S). Now, when I say 5th generation, I mean that as in Pokemon Black and White versions. In the following paragraphs, I will tell you how to make a team, trainer information, connecting to a server (which in this article will be the server called "The Treehouse"), the rules of a server (again this will be The Treehouse's rules), and how to battle with the team.

In this paragraph, you will see quotes from me (under the username Zeo Abyss) and an administrator named Harsha (who is an amazing battler that I kindly asked to give comments for team building) and Fluttershy (Treehouse's self-proclaimed resident Pony). Now, to begin with, you need to think of a name. Here is what Harsha replied when I asked him about what a good starting point for names would be:
    (17:38) Zeo Abyss: What do you think would be a good starting point for names when first starting out with PO?
    (17:38) HARSHA: hmm
    (17:38) HARSHA: I used my first name, to be honest
    (17:39) HARSHA: But some people go with things from animes, video games, etc.
    Which is very true, since the majority of names are made up from different animes and video games and television shows. Even my own PO name, Zeo Abyss, is from a tv show (Beyblade Metal Masters). So, once you've thought of a name, you can move on to Trainer information (or just skip it entirely), which is whatever you want others to see about you (also, most HTMl tags work in the trainer information box.) So, let's see what Fluttershy has to say on TI (Trainer Information).
    (18:13) Zeo Abyss: So, what do you think would be good for a newbie's trainer information?
    (18:13) Fluttershy: For a first thing, for a noob, maybe you should say your a newbie.
    (18:14) Fluttershy: If you dont people will think that your just coming to the server for the first time, not the game.
    (18:14) Fluttershy: And for the most part I put tidbits about myself and maybe taunts depends on what person you are.
    Now, don't be insulted by the word noob. It's just basically what newbies are to Pokemon Online. Those are basic ideas for a trainer information itself, now you need a winning phrase and a losing phrase (of course, you don't really NEED one, it's just better to have one).
    (18:18) Fluttershy: For winning, don't put something thats like "OH YHEAH IM BETTER THEN YOU" or "YOU SUCK!"
    (18:18) Fluttershy: This will lead people to see you as a showoff
    (18:18) Fluttershy: and for losing don't put something rude. You can put "good game" or "Nice job!"
    (18:19) Fluttershy: I use Good game just cause I'm to lazy to type it.
    (18:20) Fluttershy: Once you have more experiance and battling skills you can start to put other stuff.
    All of that is true. When I first started, I was very polite when I created my trainer information and stuff. Now that I've gotten better, I've put stuff I find intresting, like quotes I here, or stuff that is funny. Now, for the last part, creating the actual Pokemon team. In this section of the paragraph, there are some things that get very mathematical and confusing, but I'll clear it up when we get there. For now, let's see what someone on the server has to say about actually making a team.
    (18:35) Zeo Abyss: So, how would you recommend making a team for new players to Pokemon online?
    (18:37) Crossfire12: First if your new check smogon for some tips and the tiers
    That is a good idea. People use smogon all the time for new team ideas, and they have a pretty good description on different sets. EVs are the numbers behind the Carbos, Calcium, and similar in-game items used to raise a Pokemon to its maximum potential. For every Pokemon, there is a maximum of 510 EVs (however, saying 508 would be technically correct, since it only takes 4 EVs to raise a stat by one point), and each stat can only hold 255 EVs at max (but it is more efficient to cap off at 252, for each EV used beyond 252 won't affect the given stat at all). Each EV spread should depend on what Pokemon you use and their purpose on the team. If you use a sweeper, such as Dragonite or Volcarona, then make sure to keep the EV spread simple (e.g. Volcarona [Bug / Fire] would have 252 Speed, 252 Special Attack, and 4 Defense EVs.) If you're going to use a Pokemon with a large amount of defensive bulk (e.g. Chansey, Ferrothorn) then make sure to maximize HP, and then focus on one defensive stat. If you want to use a Pokemon that possesses the potential to work in both the offensive and defensive departments (e.g. Dragonite, Heatran) make sure to arrange the EVs based on what you want said Pokemon to do. On to the server selection screen!

Now, this part there isn't that much to be said about it. Once you saved a team, you load it by clicking File>Load Team, then you click "Connect". There will be a large amount of servers to choose from, and at that screen, there is only one I recommend: The Treehouse. That is where the users whom I've obtained quotes from reside in Pokemon Online, and it is one of the funniest servers out there. There is an advanced connection setting to where if you have an IP for a server (for those interested that already have Pokemon Online installed on their computers, Treehouse's advanced connect is 99.107.196.132:5080), you can go straight to it from there without having to look for it. There is also an option labeled Connect to Own Server, which is basically a one way ticket to a server that you yourself must be hosting. So yeah, not much to say about this paragraph. To the server rules!

Now, for the server rules. Everyone single server has rules (except for the Freedom server). Treehouse has 16 rules, but don't let that scare you, because the majority of them are just common sense (except for rule 5, which is: (20:02:44) Rule #5 - The fifth rule: (20:02:44) - I LIKE CHOCOLATE MILK!!). Now, some major rules at Treehouse are: (20:02:44) Rule #3 - Do not Challenge Spam: (20:02:44) - If a player refuses your challenge, this means they do not want to battle you. Find someone else to battle with. (20:02:44) Rule #7 - No Advertising: (20:02:44) - There will be absolutely no advertising on the server. Those are only two, if you want to see the full list, just type /rules or !rules. If someone breaks those rules, the auth will have to do what is deemed to be the most appropriate punishment for the rule broken.

Now, this last paragraph is all about battling on the server. There are different tiers which you can choose to battle in. The main tier is labeled Wifi OU. OU, an acronym for OverUsed, which are Pokemon that are used the most in the metagame (such as Scizor, Dragonite, Tyranitar, Terrakion, and Volcarona, amongst others). The second tier mainly used is Dream World OU, often shortened to DW OU, which consists of unreleased pokemon and released Pokemon with unreleased abilities (e.g. Keldeo is a Dream World-exclusive pokemon for not being released in-game, and Serperior with Contrary, which is locked in Dream World due to Contrary Serperior being unreleased). There are more tiers than those two, but I don't feel like going into detail about every single one of them. Now, in order to battle, you must either A) Challenge someone who is not idled, or B) Be challenged by someone. There are clauses there to help keep the game fair (e.g. Sleep Clause which allows only one Pokemon to be asleep during the game, and Freeze Clause, which acts the same way that Sleep Clause does, but onyl for freezing moves). Here is something about battling from a very excellent battler on Treehouse. Note: at this point in time I had changed my name from Zeo Abyss to Sheer Cold Absol.
    (20:29) Sheer Cold Absol: So, thoughts on battling on PO (Wifi OU tier and Dream World OU tier only please).
    (20:29) KIRA LIGHT: The Wifi OU tier is a very balanced tier.
    (20:31) KIRA LIGHT: It is a tier that is easy for beginners, as adapting to this metagame is fairly easy.
    (20:33) KIRA LIGHT: Identify threats to your team and add teammates that can counter said threats.
    Everything KIRA LIGHT said was absolutly true. Not knowing your teams strengths and weaknesses can mean your utter downfall in a battle. You will see some people complain about "hax" so to talk about it, I've asked a person who despises "hax" more than most people to say something about it. Sōsuke Aizen, referred to as Rick by mostly everyone on the server (except for Kun, who calls him Vesp [which is short for Vespasian]), is the head admin on Treehouse, as well as the former user ranked #1 and #2 on the OU ladder.
    (20:42) Sheer Cold Absol: May I have your thoughts about hax in a battle?
    (20:44) Sōsuke Aizen: Luck is a massive part of Pokemon. While we may deprecate it when it acts contrary to our interests and appreciate it when it acts in our interests, it's there to stay, and we can't do anything about it.
    Now, Rick likes to use words that most people don't understand, so I'll condense the message for everyone (even me, because he confuses me a lot). Luck is a part of Pokemon that many have mixed feelings about that we can never do away with. It's an element of Pokemon battling that many have mixed feelings about, and rightly so.

That's all there is to Pokemon Online and everything to do with it. In order to actually get Pokemon Online, you'll need to have access to a computer and download it from pokemon-online.eu. So, I'm glad to have taken the time to explain this. Also, thank you those on the Pokemon Online server Treehouse for your cooperation with this article and everything in it. I hope to see all of you on the server, and I look forward to battling you all real soon.

Last edited by Zeo Abyss on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:52 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Thank you Rick for the revised edition~ And removing Color from the 1st paragraph)

Start of turn 1
    Gardevoir has Mega Evolved into Mega Gardevoir!
    Gardevoir used Focus Blast!
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 lost 100% of its health!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

蓝色闪光: ⊙▽⊙
    Shadow Roxas: Noooot this time buddy
    蓝色闪光 forfeited against Shadow Roxas!

The window was disabled due to one of the players closing the battle window.
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Re: Pokemon Online, 5th generation review~!

Post by Kira Light on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:11 pm

Wow, this is pretty detailed! Great work, Michael!
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Post by Roxie on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Well, I spared no expense when it comes to PO~ Thanks Kira~

Start of turn 1
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:39 pm

This was a pleasure to read, and I am glad I took a break from studying to do so. Good work, buddy. n_n
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Post by Roxie on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:09 pm

Aww, thanks Harsha<3~

Start of turn 1
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

Skyleon
    Server Administrator
    Server Administrator

You don't want to know.

Post by Skyleon on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:57 pm

This is awesome, Rox!

Very nice job. : D

Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:50 pm

No problems.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:55 am

You should have putted rules in diferent lines but really nice work typing this stuf, Roxas. Smile
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Post by Roxie on Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:46 am

PhoenixSeriousStone wrote:You should have putted rules in diferent lines but really nice work typing this stuf, Roxas. Smile
    That's a good idea, however, if I did that, then everything would look off balance since the ":" is right before said rule. Good idea though.

Start of turn 1
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:04 pm

Zeo Abyss wrote:
    PhoenixSeriousStone wrote:You should have putted rules in diferent lines but really nice work typing this stuf, Roxas. Smile
    That's a good idea, however, if I did that, then everything would look off balance since the ":" is right before said rule. Good idea though.

Also take out the timers frmo the rules to look more original. c:
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Post by Roxie on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:07 pm

D: But I liek teh timestamps. It shows how long it took to do this and all my hard work.

Start of turn 1
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

Kun
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Argentina, South América

Post by Kun on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:18 pm

This is good, ya coulda corrected Flutters' orthography, but that's a literal quote right there. Good job! (Also if you read this, please don't kick my butt Futters)
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Post by Roxie on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks guys, it makes me feel good knowing you liked it.

Start of turn 1
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Post by Roxie on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:17 pm

This is gonna be a double post but it's needed. Just checking my grades, saw that this article got graded. I GOT A FREAKING 95 ON THE ARTICLE!!!!! I'm now in an epicily good mood.

Last edited by Prometheus on Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Start of turn 1
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:33 pm

Good job! Glad to see it worked out, haha
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Post by Roxie on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:36 am

Now I should be dang near, or passing, my Journalism class Very Happy Thank you (those of you who responded to the questions) in helping with this article. <3

Start of turn 1
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:52 pm