The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Ad Infinitum

Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Ad Infinitum

Post by Kira Light on Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:25 pm

Ad Infinitum

A 5th Gen. OU RMT by Kira Light

Introduction

Hey, Treehouse. I built this team a couple of days ago. I wanted to build one based around Landorus in Sandstorm. The team was able to get to the 1250-ish rating on Smogon, before I started losing because of unplanned hax, unfortunately. Anyways, here's the team. I hope you'll enjoy reading it! As for the team name, I chose it because it seemed cool. It's the latin for "to infinity". I apologize for not putting too much effort in the presentation. There's nothing special about the team, but I do believe it can be improved.

The Team at a Glance

The Team in Detail

TYRANITAR

Female | | Sand Stream
    252 HP / 64 SAtk / 192 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)

~ Stone Edge
    ~ Crunch
    ~ Fire Blast
    ~ Ice Beam

[center]Since this is a Sandstorm team after all, I needed to determine whether I wanted to use Tyranitar or Hippowdon. After some thinking, I concluded that Tyranitar was the best suited-one for this team, since it was able to tank special hits really well, and it also had access to amazing coverage. It also helped me against Latios, who would have been a huge threat otherwise. The EV spread used lets Tyranitar use both physical and special moves, while retaining an incredible amount of bulk. Stone Edge is Tyranitar's main STAB, and it hits Volcarona, and Tornadus really hard. Crunch is a secondary STAB move that lets me deal with Gengar, the Lati-twins and Reuniclus with much more ease. Fire Blast lets me take out Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Having them removed from the game greatly helps Tyranitar's teammates. Ice Beam, finally, lets me beat Gliscor and Dragonite. Dragonite is OHKO'd once its Multiscale is broken by the Sandstorm. The Sassy Nature doesn't lower Special Attack nor Attack, but rather Tyranitar's Speed, since it is slow already. In return, its great Special Defense stat gets a boost. The presence of Sandstorm also breaks the opposing teams' Focus Sashes, if they are buffeted by the Sand.

LANDORUS

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
    Naive Nature (+Spe, -SpD)
    ~ U-Turn
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Hidden Power [Ice]
    ~ Stone Edge

Landorus is my main revenge-killer. It also serves as a scout. I often lead with him to start spamming U-Turns. Thanks to its Sand Force ability, it gets a significant boost in the power of its Earthquakes and Stone Edges in Sandstorm. Defensively, it benefits from a solid typing, as it is immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes. It can also come in Close Combats and Flare Blitzes. With a Choice Scarf, Landorus reaches a Speed stat of 496, letting it outspeed numerous threats in the Over-Used metagame, such as non-Scarfed Infernapes, Terrakions and Jolteons. U-Turn lets me scout, whilst maintaining offensive pressure on my opponent. Earthquake lets me hit anything that doesn't resist it hard, and lets me sweep in late-game situations. Hidden Power [Ice] lets me nail opposing Gliscors and Landorus who would be walling Landorus otherwise. Stone Edge is a coverage move that gets a Sand Force boost, and that allows me to outspeed +1 Dragonite and +Volcarona, and take them out.

SCIZOR

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP | 252 Atk | 8 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    ~ U-Turn
    ~ Bullet Punch
    ~ Superpower
    ~ Pursuit

Scizor is the most-used Pokemon in the OU tier, and it fits pretty well in any kind of team. This one wasn't an exception. Besides, Scizor is in pretty much every team I build. It brings a solid offensive presence, and priority, which is extremely helpful to take out fast sweepers who would be threatening. It lets me take out Terrakion with much more ease. The EV spread lets Scizor hit hard, and with good bulk. U-Turn lets me scout, and it hits anything that doesn't resist it hard. Since Scizor scares off many Pokemon, U-Turn will frequently be used to place myself in an advantageous position. Superpower lets me nail Heatrans and Ferrothorns that try to switch in. Pursuit is helpful for trapping the Lati-twins and Gengar, who tend to flee when they see Scizor come in. Technician gives a boost to both Bullet Punch and Pursuit, which is handy.

HEATRAN

Heatran (F) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Fire Blast
    ~ Hidden Power [Ice]
    ~ Earth Power

I decided to include Heatran in the team because it had great synergy with the other members of the team. Thanks to its Fire / Steel typing, Heatran doesn't lose HP in Sand, and it also provided Stealth Rock support. Since Scizor was weak to fire type moves, switching into Heatran was very useful, as the latter can absorb any Fire-type move because of its Flash Fire ability. Stealth Rock is the obligatory hazard that almost every team carries. It lets the team deal with Dragonite and Volcarona with much more ease, since their offensive potential is limited. Fire Blast hits really hard, and lets Heatran beat Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Forretress and Scizor. Hidden Power [Ice] nails Gliscor, Dragonite and Salamence, who all fall in one hit(that's because Dragonite's Multiscale is broken in Sand). Earth Power is a coverage move that allows Heatran to hit opposing Heatrans to take them out. It also helps against Terrakion, who is nailed on the switch-in. The EVs max out Special Attack and Speed, to aid Heatran in its offensive role.

CELEBI

Celebi @ Life Orb
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 36 Spe
    Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
    ~ Thunder Wave
    ~ Leaf Storm
    ~ Hidden Power [Fire]
    ~ Recover

Celebi is my main counter to Rain teams. It can also take hits from Terrakion thanks to its decent bulk. This Tinkerbell set lets it hit hard, while retaining a sufficient amount of bulk to take hits with more ease. STAB max attack, Modest, Life Orb boosted Leaf Storm hits like a truck, and it can nail an opposing Politoed. Thunder Wave lets me cripple Choice Scarf users, and set-up sweepers like Dragonite. Hidden Power [Fire] lets it beat Scizor, Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Forretress, who can all take Leaf Storms with ease. Finally, Recover lets Celebi gain back 50% of its health. It's often used on a fleeing opponent, to insure a better survivability. Thanks to its ability, Natural Cure, Celebi isn't afraid of status effects such as paralysis, burn, sleep and poison, since those are cured upon switching out. Its useful typing also renders it immune to Leech Seed.

REUNICLUS

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    ~ Calm Mind
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Focus Blast
    ~ Recover

Reuniclus is my secondary check to fighting threats like Terrakion. Thanks to its massive bulk, it can often take hits and use Recover to get its HP back. It has access to Magic Guard, a wonderful ability that prevents it from losing health because of residual damage in the form of Burn or Poison, for example. It is also immune to entry hazards, which is great. It is used as a stallbreaker, as it can beat stall. It uses Calm Mind to set up, and if the HP is low, use Recover to get it back. Once many Calm Minds are up, it is hard for a special sweeper to hit Reuniclus hard, whilst the latter can hit hard and retaliate. Psychic is its main STAB, which hits hard once the boosts are obtained. It lets it beat Terrakion and Gengar, amongst others. Focus Blast hits dark-types that are immune to Psychic, notably Hydreigon and Scrafty. It also hits Heatran for super-effective damage, which makes Reuniclus a useful teammate. The EV spread lets it take physical hits really well, while boosting its Special Defense with Calm Mind. Reuniclus has a fantastic HP stat, which lets it take hits with even more ease. Yeah, I'm just ranting; sorry.

One last Glance at the Team

Last edited by Kira Light on Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Re: Ad Infinitum

Post by Kira Light on Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:51 pm

Bumping this because I received no rates in 4 days.
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:48 pm

Hey,

So right now, this is already a pretty good team. One of the weakest links of it is that if Celebi goes down, your team is ruined by rain teams. It's even worse if there is a Scizor on the rain team, so one of the easiest fixes to that is replacing what I see as your weakest link, Reuniclus. While you probably often can sweep with Reuniclus, it's really not the focus of your team, and if a 3 attacks or Choice Specs Toed comes along, it will ruin your team when Celebi is finally down. The easiest fix I would see is changing Celebi to a Nasty Plot variant, and then changing your Reuniclus to a specially defensive Jirachi who has Wish so that your team can heal, as it is a VoltTurn team after all. A smaller change I would suggest is Pursuit > Crunch on Tyranitar so that you can make Latios pay every time it switches in. Other than these changes, I don't have much to say. Cool team, and good luck!
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by Kira Light on Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks for the rate, Harsha! I'll test those changes out on the server later on during the day.
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Post by Roxie on Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:34 am

I'm not that good with EVs and stuff like that, so I'll give it my best. Basically, to me, the entire team was built with some true blue deep thought into making sure each pokemon can take hits, and deal out harder hits. My only thing is Reunclius. Granted it has great bulk, and special attack, but it's super slow, which sucks. I've seen people use a TR Reun only in SS teams (meaning the only pokemon the benefits from TR wad the one who carried it, Reunclius). I suggest balancing the EVs to give it a equal (or close to it) defense and special defense. Also, try swapping Psychic for Psyshock (even if Psychic is its STAB move, Psyshock is a better idea to me) if you decide to switch Calm mind with Trick Room. If you keep CM, then I suggest swapping Psychic for Stored Power (although I'm not sure if it can know SP, I'm doing this from my 3DS right now). However, I do agree with Harsha a bit about chaging Reunclius for Jirachi. Other then that, pretty good team.

Start of turn 1
    Gardevoir has Mega Evolved into Mega Gardevoir!
    Gardevoir used Focus Blast!
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 lost 100% of its health!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

蓝色闪光: ⊙▽⊙
    Shadow Roxas: Noooot this time buddy
    蓝色闪光 forfeited against Shadow Roxas!

The window was disabled due to one of the players closing the battle window.
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:03 am

Giving Reuniclus equal EVs in Defense and Special Defense is an awful idea, simply because you're already boosting your Special Defense. He used Psychic because it hits everything harder other than Blissey and Chansey whom he already deals with well. Trick Room wouldn't work well for this team because everything is so fast... If you use Trick Room, you can't have only one Pokemon benefit.
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Post by Roxie on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:10 am

Didn't say it was a perfect plan. I was just statin my ideas, since I thought it was a really good idea. Like I said, I'm not all that great with EVs and stuff like this.

Start of turn 1
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by Kira Light on Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:59 am

I'd rather invest in HP and Defense than in Special Defense, a stat which is already boosted by Calm Mind. Also, Reuniclus has rather weak Defense, so I'd rather max that out in order to take hits better on the physical side. Equal Defense and Special Defense sucks. Here are some calcs.

Detailed Result:
    0 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs 0 HP/126 Def Reuniclus: 67.31% - 79.78%
    2 hits to KO

Detailed Result:
    0 Atk Tyranitar Crunch vs 252 HP/252 Def Reuniclus: 50.24% - 59.43%
    2 hits to KO

Detailed Result:
    Modest 252 SpAtk Volcarona Bug Buzz vs 0 HP/126 SpDef Reuniclus: 92.24% - 108.86%
    50% chance to OHKO

Modest 252 SpAtk Volcarona Bug Buzz vs 252 HP/0 SpDef Reuniclus: 89.86% - 106.13%
    37.5% chance to OHKO

As you can see, 252 HP lets you take hits better than 126 Special Defense. More HP lets you take hits better on both Defense and Special Defense. Besides, Reuniclus' Special Defense gets boosted by Calm Mind. So, to be more concise, 252 HP is better than 126 Def / 126 SDef. Also, having Jirachi instead of Reuniclus increases my team's weakness to Terrakion, unfortunately.

Last edited by Kira Light on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Post by Roxie on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Ahhhhh, much clear now that I see the math (I dunno why though. Math just makes it more simple to me, I guess o.o).

Start of turn 1
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:37 pm