The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Old Turn (5th Gen OU)

Tõx
    Server Administrator
    Server Administrator

So did I. <3
    Looking for my Tv.

Old Turn (5th Gen OU)

Post by Tõx on Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:16 pm

Boing.
    Welcome to my first RMT here on Treehouse Forums.

VoltTurn,hands down,is one of the most offensive and successful strategies in the current metagame.Keeping the offensive momentum,while damaging the opponent,allow me to keep the oppontent wondering if to switch or not.If I liked mind games in the 4th Gen,now I can really make abuse of that.

Old Turn is the name of the team.That's because,while I was choosing the name,I realized that I didn't use any 5th gen pokèmon.[No longer so,but I'm keeping the name.]

The first version of this team had just 2 U turners,as I focused on setting spikes and rocks and pseudostalling the opponent,and then start bouncing with Scizor and Flygon.
    But,the mix of Stall and U turn didn't suited me well.That's why I dropped 4/6 of my team,and went straight to build a more offensive variant.
    Team Building process.

Spoiler:

Since the "Art of U-Turn" I had always been fascinated by the sinergy that Flygon and Scizor had,Covering each other weakness perfectely.That was the starting point of my team.

Volt turn can't be called so without a Volt switcher,huh?That's why I picked Rotom-W,who sinergieses well with Flygon and Scizor,taking Ice moves aimed to the Dragonfly and covering Scizor lone weakness well.

Another thing that impressed me was the ToF's 4 attack Landorus set,that had a mix of surprize and sheer power,and the genie learned U turn,fitting the team's theme well.

Now I focused on the support.My pokèmon had their weakness well covered,and the tons of immunities they have gives them a lot of opporunities to get in.I don't now why,but I REALLY fear volcarona,and killing a non-broken Multiscale Dragonite can be really difficoult.I need a Sr'er,and a Ice/dragon resist.I welcomed Jirachi,that provided Sr,paralysis ad wish support to my team.

Now the last slot was still empty.I remebered an advice Harsha gave me about my last team.Spinning support is alway welcome in a Volturn team.Starmie found his place in my team.

After some testing I realized that I had troubles with Bulky waters,so I swapped Ladorous with LOZapdos.

Although the team was workig well,Flygon hadn't enough power to break trought walls.That's why I reintroduced Landorus

In depth look.

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    Comments.
    Landorus does the same job flygon did,only better,being able to pass even trough Gliscor,will still be able to kill Dragon tipes.I usually lead with it to gain immediately the momentum and see what my opponent will bring in when he sees Landorus.
    Moves.
    Moves are self explanatory.
    EQ is stab of choice,having a great base power and hitting many things,and it is powered up by Sand force.
    U turn is ther for scouting purpose and keeping the momentum.
    Stone Edge takes care of flying dragons(and Gyarados)and is the second part of the QuakEdge combo
    Hidden Power [Ice] kills dragons and leaves gliscor with little hp.
    Evs,Nature and Item.
    Maximized speed and attack,and naive nature+Scarf to act as a revenge killer and scout,without losing any SAttk point.
    Sinergy.
    [Ice]Scizor,Rotom,Jirachi,Starmie
    [Water]Rotom,Starmie

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 244 HP / 128 Atk / 136 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower
    - U-turn
    - Pursuit
    Comments.
    Mister N°1 in usage fits well in this team,too.
    Scizor,choice band equipped,leaves holes in every pokèmon it he hits,bar dedicated physical walls.I don't really think that there is something else to say,other than that Scizor is a great scout and trapper,and he alone forces lost of mind games,due to the presence of both Bullet Punch and Pursuit.
    Moves.
    This is the starndard set,not much that you already know is to be said.
    U turn is my primary move,and read Flygon,I don't want to rewrite that.
    Bullet Punch,boosted by technician,has a great power and hit pretty everything for a good amount of damage.
    Superpower and Pursuit complete each other in term of coverage.The former nails Blissey and Tyranitar,while Technician boosted Pursuit takes down the Lati Twins,and some other pokèmon tring to get out.
    Evs,Nature and Item.
    I didn't wanted the standard Scizor,I wanted a version more able to take dragometeors and to handle better dragons,that's why I invested more in S-Def,leaving 128 Evs in Attk to be sure to OHKO standard Terrakion.Choice band and adamant nature are there to give me more attackig power.
    Sinergy.
    [Fire]Rotom,Starmie,Flygon

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 112 HP / 252 SAtk / 144 SAtk
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    Comments.
    Rotom is my bulky attacker,ruining the day of the many physical sweeper with Will-O-Wisp.Gastrodon is one of the worst enemy of VolTurn,so I will keep Tom alive as long asthe nail isn't gone.
    Moves.
    Hydro pump has an high base power and is the only Tom water move,so it is kind of obligatory.
    Volt switch is the core of the team,and Hp[Grass] rounds off the coverage,while 2HOKOing Gastrodon.
    WoW cripples physical mons.
    Evs,Nature and Item.
    252 Attak evs and modest nature are used to max the Attaking power,while evs in Hp and defense are use to raise Rotom capabilities to take hits.
    Sinergy.
    [Grass]Scizor,Jirachi,Zapdos

Zapdos @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Roost
    -Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Volt Switch
    Comments.
    Zapdos doesn't really help my other VoltTurners in term of defence,but in terms of offence.The elcetric bird takes down most of the bulky waters,and is able to check well Scizor,taking a little from all is moves,due to resistaces to U turn,bullet punch and superpower, and natural bulk.
    Zapdos is also my insurance aganist Breloom and Viriziron,HOKOing them with Hp[Flying]

Moves.
    Thunderbolt is there for taking care of waters,Volt Switch was a must for this team Roost to heal off residual damage.
    As I already stated,Hp[Flying]was chosen due to Breloom and Viriziron weakness,while hitting hard most of the Fighting type that are common in this metagame.
    Evs,Nature ad Item.
    Again,self explanatory Evs.Maxed Speed and Sattck,ad LO to icrease the power of all my moves of 30%.
    Sinergy.
    [Rock]Jirachi,Flygon
    [Ice]Scizor,Jirachi,Rotom,Stamie

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam/Thunderbolt
    - Rapid Spin
    - Recover
    Comments.
    Starmie packs excellent speed and firepower with good bulk and great movepool.(That sounded pretty Smogon,huh?).Starmie is my status absorber,my spinner,and,if she finds the opportunity,my dragon back-up killer,but I am correntely testing thunderbolt on the third slot.
    Moves.
    Hydro Pump over surf due to the more Base power,and I'm more likely to keep to,though the imperfect accuracy.
    Rapid spin is a great move,clearing the field of any kind of hazard,and starmie has the bulk and speed to make a great use out of this move.
    Recover is there because starmie is primaly used as support pokèmon,and needs to be on the field for a long time.
    Ice beam takes care of dragons and Grass types in general.
    Evs,Nature and Item.
    I'm starting to get bored of saying this,but I maximized Speed and SAttack,while leftovers is used to make sure that starmie will be on the field for a long time.
    Additional Comments.
    I'm not sure if Starmie really helps this team,as only scizor and jirachi suffes spikes,though Zapdos needs the field clear of SR.Any suggested alternative will be taken in consideration.Sometimes it looks like to be the weaker link of the chain.
    Sinergy.
    [Grass]Scizor,Jirachi,Zapdos
    [Electric]Flygon
    [Dark]Scizor
    [Ghost]Scizor
    [Bug]Scizor,Zapdos

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Wish
    - Stealth Rock
    - Body Slam
    - Light Screen
    Comment.
    Jirachi is the other support pokèmon,bringing useful resistance to the table,while his weakness are well covered by the rest of the team.As I already stated in the Building process,his job is to be sure that sr are on the field.
    Jirachi is just a support pokèmon,rare are the battles when I find myself attacking whit it.
    Moves.
    Wish,with the new mechanics,gives a 202Hp recovery to each member of my team,becoming a realiable mean of recovery.
    Stealth rock is maybe one of the best support moves in the game,stopping many pokèmon to really shine,and helping me to reach many OHKO's.
    BodySlam 60% rate of paralisy is why I have chosen it.I could run thunder wave,but this would leave jirachi with no way to damage other pokèmon.
    Light screen adds some bulk to my team,enabling me to take Special hits better.
    Sinergy.
    [Fire]Flygon,Rotom,Stamie
    [Ground]Flygon,Zapdos,Rotom
    Final comments.
    For the first time,I can really say that I am satisficed with the work I have done.Any suggestion will be welcome and really appreciated.Thank you in advance.
    And,excuse me for the mistakes I have made.I hope this RMT was easy to read.
    Importable
    Spoiler:

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 244 HP / 128 Atk / 136 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Bullet Punch
    - Superpower
    - U-turn
    - Pursuit

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 112 HP / 252 SAtk / 144 SDef
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Volt Switch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Hidden Power [Grass]

Zapdos @ Life Orb
    Trait: Pressure
    - Thunderbolt
    - Roost
    - Hidden Power [Flying]
    - Volt Switch

Starmie @ Leftovers
    Trait: Natural Cure
    - Rapid Spin
    - Hydro Pump
    - Thunderbolt
    - Recover

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Wish
    - Stealth Rock
    - Body Slam
    - Light Screen
    Thank to PokèStadium for pokèmon sprites.
    I think I should thank Harsha and Rick for the guide they wrote about VolTurn,and Rick again for helping me in posting this RMT.
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Re: Old Turn (5th Gen OU)

Post by Kira Light on Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:45 pm

Hey Ivy,

You may want to try out Life Orb over Leftovers for Starmie, since the latter is already relying on Recover for semi-automatic recovery. Let's move on to the threats.

Threats:

I don't think your team will enjoy facing Sun teams, since Venusaur will be problematic if ever Zapdos goes down. With Hidden Power [Fire], Solarbeam and Earthquake, it can beat Jirachi, Starmie, Rotom-W, Scizor and even Landbro if its health is below 65%. I think your team would benefit from having a Heatran, who can deal very well with Sunshine. I'd recommend the set below over your current Zapdos, who isn't helping your team too much right now. Rotom-W has Levitate, and will be doing better on the team than the Bird, as Rotom-W resists the commonly-used Hidden Power [Ice], and is not Stealth Rock weak like Zapdos. Ferrothorn is another threat to your current team, since you have no Pokemon with a Fire-type move to do massive damage. Only Scizor can really do some damage to it, but the rest, though, cannot. Replacing Zapdos by Heatran would allow you to beat Ferrothorn with a lot more ease, as well as countering Sunshine. Unaware Quagsire is also a threat, but it isn't seen too often in OU, unless it is used on a Rain Stall team. Just try playing around it. Rotom-W's Hidden Power [Grass] does help, but you can't rely on a single Pokemon to take out Quagsire, who becomes extremely problematic if the Washing Mashine goes down.

@
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Fire Blast
    ~ Hidden Power [Ice]
    ~ Earth Power

Fire Blast hits really hard off the bat. Hidden Power [Ice] helps you beat Dragonite and other dragon-types, as well as Gliscor. Earth Power is a coverage move that allows you to beat opposing Heatrans. Stealth Rock would be a good idea for Heatran. You should replace Jirachi's SR by Iron Head, for some para-flinching hax. It also removes the pressure for it to lay down the Rocks. As for Heatran, it can come in on something locked into a move that can't hurt it, and then fire off Stealth Rock without any problems. The Air Balloon is crucial, as it allows Heatran to beat Multiscale Dragonite, as well as the aforementioned threat Venusaur. It also means you can switch Heatran in an opposing Pokemon locked into Earthquake. I'll add more to this rate later.
    Tõx
    Server Administrator
    Server Administrator

So did I. <3
    Looking for my Tv.

Post by Tõx on Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:48 pm

Heatran sounds like a great asset to this team,I'll try it out,and see how it works.
    Whit Heatran in,I'm going to try this Landorus too.

Landorus (M)
    @ Expert Belt/Earth Plate
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Swords Dance

How this set works is pretty simple.I bluff a choice item while scouting,then when I find the opportunity I get the +2.If a wanna-be-counter comes in,well,a +2 U-turn hurts.
    Thank you Kira.
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by Kira Light on Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:41 pm

Tõx wrote:Heatran sounds like a great asset to this team,I'll try it out,and see how it works.
    Whit Heatran in,I'm going to try this Landorus too.

Landorus (M)
    @ Expert Belt/Earth Plate
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - U-turn
    - Swords Dance

How this set works is pretty simple.I bluff a choice item while scouting,then when I find the opportunity I get the +2.If a wanna-be-counter comes in,well,a +2 U-turn hurts.
    Thank you Kira.

Try out Jolly, since you're not going to be using Hidden Power Ice. It'll prevent an unnecessary drop in Special Defense. You're welcome.
    Tõx
    Server Administrator
    Server Administrator

So did I. <3
    Looking for my Tv.

Post by Tõx on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:08 am

Heatran is working well for my team,but with zapdos gone I have again trouble to get past bulky waters,as Rotom isn't able to do all the work alone.Any suggestion?
    I'll edit the first post as soon as possible.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:33 am