The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Status Effects: What do you think of them?

Manaphy72

Virginia

Status Effects: What do you think of them?

Post by Manaphy72 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:08 am

Vol60's Weather post made me think... what about status effects. What is your opinion on the 5 status effects. Do you like them, do you have a favorite, or do you hate them all.

Burn- Subject loses 1/8 of its HP each turn, and gets its Attack halved.

Freeze- Subject is unable to move (20% chance of thawing out every turn). Fire moves directed towards the frozen Pokemon automatically unfreeze the target.

Paralysis- 25% chance of not being able to move; target's Speed is reduced by 25%.

Sleep- Pokemon cannot move until it wakes up (2-3 turns). If the target switches out, the sleep counter is reset for next time it switches in, meaning it will have to restart the time it sleeps.

Poison- Target loses 1/8 of its HP every turn. Steel- and Poison-types are immune to it.

Badly poisoned- Target starts losing 1/16 of its HP. The second turn, it becomes 2/16 damage, on the third it becomes 3/16 damage, and so on.

What are your thoughts on the 5 above status effects?

Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Re: Status Effects: What do you think of them?

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:12 pm

Freeze obviously is the rarest, but most crippling of all the statuses. Sleep is basically a free KO, given the new sleep mechanics. Paralysis, burn, and poison are the most common statuses, and are all equally crippling.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2
    Crossfire12
    Server Administrator
    Server Administrator

The world

Post by Crossfire12 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:40 pm

Well you have to hate them cuz they ruin your team in a sense. para is the worst one I see up there
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by Kira Light on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:06 pm

Stall would be impossible without the existence of status moves. I'm a fan of them, since they provide more excitement to matches.
    Manaphy72

Virginia

Post by Manaphy72 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:12 pm

The worst one for me is Frozen. It makes me so mad! But the rest of them are actually quite nice whhen you use them! Especially toxic/Poison.
    Artist Smeargle
    Administrator
    Administrator

The Fanciest Man

Post by Artist Smeargle on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:21 pm

BURN - Good for Pokemon with Guts. Bad for other physical attackers without it. The damage is slightly higher than the first turn of Badly Poisoned damage, Burn doesn't increase each turn. Flame Orb inflicts this at the end of the first turn the Pokemon is out, and is not Fire type. Magic Guard protects against damage.

POISON - Not that bad, if it is on a Guts Pokemon. It's a shame the Toxic Orb isn't regular Poison. Cannot inflict Poison or Steel types, Pokemon with Immunity, but in previous generations (Does it still work?), Beedrill can poison Steel types with Twineedle. Either way, great for Poison Heal Pokemon. Magic Guard protects against damage.

BADLY POISON - More annoying in that it does more and more damage each turn unless you switch. Toxic Orb inflicts this status on whoever holds it until the end of the turn it was sent out on, and is not Poison or Steel typed, or has Immunity. Magic Guard protects against damage. Heals those with Poison Heal.

PARALYZE - Cuts speed in half and possibly prevents you from moving. Not terrible for slow, bulky Pokemon who can recover (Reuniclus. Magic Guard.), but for Pokemon who almost rely on being faster, or have a Choice Scarf, it is devastating. Also, Paralyze can lead to hax, something me, Rick, and Harsha have terrible luck with. Can be inflicted with Fling + Light Ball as a bonus!

SLEEP - Oh dear god. The worst. Then. Suddenly. BRELOOM. CHEAPSTERS WHO DON'T USE SLEEP CLAUSE EVERYWHERE. ...AAH!... Oh... Oh... It was just a dream... Anyway. Sleep is great if you're using it. Mainly, Spore. The only 100% accurate Sleep move. Unless you are infected by another status, or behind a sub, you have no way of truly avoiding it. However, it can be blocked with Vital Spirit and Insomnia. Rest inflicts this on yourself for 2 turns, but heals everything else (Status, Health, etc. Full Restore and some Sleep Powder in one turn.). Early Bird cuts the turns you're asleep in half. Probably the second reason why Darkrai is Uber.

FREEZE - No... No... Not again. NOT THE 10 TURNS FROZEN!... Anywho, as far as I know. Freeze can be from 0 turns to OVER 9000 turns, but someone would have to confirm that. You can thaw out with Flamethrower, or just about any other Fire move. A rare status infliction, but a pretty annoying one at that. I mean, there's what, 20% chance at most that you would freeze someone, with the appropriate moves? Cannot freeze Ice types.

ANYWHO. I just thought I'd add a small summary of facts, but overall, I was frequently screwed over by these statuses, in which case, I hate them! Yaaaayyy! Happy ending!... Should Confusion be here?

P.S. Lum Berry cures all on the list. None can inflict while you are behind a Sub, unless you do it yourself with an Orb or Rest. Synchronize can inflict your Pokemon too, if possible (No Poisoned Steel types or Poison types for you.). Refresh can cure all statuses except Freeze, because a Pokemon has no chance of moving then, and Sleep has Sleep Talk. Both Freeze and Sleep have clauses, so that no more than one Pokemon can be Asleep or Frozen at the same time.

Last edited by Artist Smeargle on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Catch da magic!)

"hiper" --()--

Rika is still dead.

Rips from http://www.pkparaiso.com/ pls give them more credit.

Credit to Mr. Sufat for this absolutely SMASHING avatar.
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by Kira Light on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:37 pm

However, I absolutely HATE the new sleep mechanics in this gen. Because of that, a Pokemon asleep is pretty much guaranteed to do nothing for the whole game.

Breloom wrote:Umad?

Last edited by Kira Light on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:52 pm

Fixed.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:55 pm

That Breloom is incredible! The worst status to afflict someone with is poison (normal, not badly) because Leftovers cancels it out, and it in general does not do much. The most annoying statuses are freeze / sleep for the reasons outlined above, while paralysis is also up there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:45 pm