The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

A Sandy Day (A Sandstorm OU RMT By: Zeonel [Roxas])

Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

A Sandy Day (A Sandstorm OU RMT By: Zeonel [Roxas])

Post by Roxie on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:48 pm

This is my 4th RMT so far, I guess I'm getting pretty good at it. This time, I decided to try out a Sandstorm RMT just to see what it's about. I tested it against my hail team through a localhost connection, and I must say, It's not half bad considering I took into the account of a MAJOR Scizor threat. Enough chating. TO THE TEAM!

Tyranitar, Landorus, Rotom-W, Forretress, Ferrothorn (Might replace with Scizor!), Alakazam

Savoir (Tyranitar) (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def/ 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake
    - Attract
    - Dragon Dance
    Ok, how often is it you see a Female T-tar? NEVER! I thought "Hey, why not use a Female t-tar with Attract?" Well, I went on ahead and did just that. Go out first with Attract to give myself the upper-hand, then DD for the next turn. Earthquake to hit Fire and Steel types, and check Non-Ballon heatrans which take +4 damage to EQ. Crunch to take out Ghosts and Psychics, plus, after DD, it'll be extremely powerful against them.

Fallen Angel (Landorus) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - Hammer Arm
    - Outrage
    Landorus is something I'm trying since Excadrill has been brought into the uber tier. To be honest, who uses a physical ice move anyway? So, give it Max in attack and Speed so I can get that power in during Sandstorm. I gave it Sheer Force in hopes of Hammer Arm's recoil damage being uneffective, and Outrage's Confusion effect becoming null. Stone Edge for a strong rock type hit, taking out Fire types and flying types. EQ for STAB with the power brought in from Sheer Force. Hammer Arm for Steel types and a filler move because I really needed a filler. Outrage to hit Dragon types like Haxorus and Dragonite.

GodBlessYou (Rotom-W) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Volt Switch
    - Hydro Pump
    - Trick
    I swore to myself I'd never use Washrom. I broke that swear. I guess I wanted to see how good Rotom-W was considering I've only used it during Rain. Max SpA and Speed for an ultimate power for his special moves, and almost always hitting first. Trick to give it more mobility against other pokemon. Volt Switch for scouting and hitting flying types (besides Landorus and Thunudrus considering it'll be null/norm anyway). HP Ice to take out Dragons and Flying types (Like Landorus and Thundurus XD). Hydro Pump is for STAB and I realized how powerful it really is with Rotom-W.

Die For You (Forretress) (M) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Overcoat
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Spikes
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    I'll try it because I never, EVER, get rid of hazards. I hate this thing's speed, but I'll give it as much as I can without having the need of a Choice Scarf. Stealth Rock for hitting flying types extremely hard. Toxic Spikes for the poison effects (obviously). Spikes to give ultimate extra damage along with SR. Rapid Spin to clear my hazards set up on top of me. I chose Overcoat over Sturdy because I was gonna use Focus Sash (Which I did).

Ritual (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Leech Seed
    - Thunder Wave
    - Power Whip
    - Iron Defense
    Since I already (most likely anyway) will already have SR set up, I chose Iron Defense over SR so I can give it a hell of a lot more defense. Thunder Wave for crippling my opponet (that's not immune to it anyway). Leech Seed to regain health (just like Leftovers, which is why I have it too, yay for double regen). Power Whip for a STAB (I think?) and hitting grass types and other types (since it IS the only attacking move, duh).

The Legacy (Alakazam) (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Focus Blast
    - Psyshock
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Shadow Ball
    Always gotta have my Psychic type. Magic Guard to prevent SS damage, Hazard Damage, and LOrb Damage. Shadow Ball to hit Psychics and ghosts. HP Fire for Ferrothorn, Metagross, Forrtress, and Scizor. Psyshock for STAB, plus, it'll have amazing power as well. Focus Blast for hitting Steel types as well as my Hidden Power, but less reliable.

Well, hope ya liked my new RMT. Oh, and Alakazam is my own choice to go into the Team, so I think I might keep it and trade Ferro with Scizor. And yes, I saw how HUGE the Scizor weakness is due to Bullet Punch and SuperPower, and Pursuit (against Alakazam).
    Signed,
    Roxas

Last edited by vol60 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added the Pokemon pics)

Start of turn 1
    Gardevoir has Mega Evolved into Mega Gardevoir!
    Gardevoir used Focus Blast!
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 lost 100% of its health!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

蓝色闪光: ⊙▽⊙
    Shadow Roxas: Noooot this time buddy
    蓝色闪光 forfeited against Shadow Roxas!

The window was disabled due to one of the players closing the battle window.
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Re: A Sandy Day (A Sandstorm OU RMT By: Zeonel [Roxas])

Post by Kira Light on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:22 pm

Hey Roxas,

First of all, I'd recommend a Jolly Nature for Landorus. You aren't running any Special Attacks, so that stat should be decreased. Secondly, I would recommend Swords Dance or Substitute instead of Outrage. Sure, it will hit Dragon-types, but it still won't hit too hard without the STAB boost, as well as locking itself into the move for 2-3 turns, which limits it a lot. The common Ferrothorn could come in and set up hazards in the meantime, or use Leech Seed. Sheer Force is an unreleased ability, so use Sand Force. It's the main reason you'd be using it in Sand, anyways.

Secondly, Forretress should have an Impish Nature. Jolly won't let it outspeed anything it doesn't already outspeed with a meager 40 Base Speed. I'd recommend Volt Switch > Stealth Rock, since you can use it to scout and gain momentum, as well as escaping Magnezone's Magnet Pull. FORRETRESS NEEDS TO HAVE STURDY. That way, it lets it live one more turn, which can be a deciding factor in some matches. It won't be taking Sand damage, anyways, since it is a steel type. Hail is rather rare in OU, so Overcoat is largely outclassed by Sturdy.

For Ferrothorn, Stealth Rock > Iron Defense. It's too bad Ferrothorn will often have to switch out because of Fire-type opponents. In that case, the defense boosts become irrelevant. It's too situational to be used. Ferrothorn can reliably set up Stealth Rock, and remove the pressure put on Forretress to lay out all the hazards. I'd also recommend the standard EVs, 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef with a Careful Nature, to be able to take hits from both sides of the spectrum better.

For Tyranitar, Stone Edge > Attract. Using that situational move that relies on luck to work limits Tyranitar's offensive potential. Without Stone Edge, it can't really hurt Volcarona. You're also losing out on your main STAB move, which gets to 150 Base Power. Next, Fire Punch > Earthquake. That way, you can have more reliable coverage to hit stuff like Ferrothorn and Scizor. Also, I think Lum Berry would be better than Focus Sash, since that item is always broken when you come in on Stealth Rock damage, whilst Lum Berry offers reliability so that Tyranitar won't have to worry about Status effects.

Alright. I'm seeing a HUGE weakness to 4Drag2Mag teams. With Ferrothorn and Forretress gone, if Dragonite gets a DD up, it will sweep your entire team.

I'd recommend a Choice Scarf variant of Landorus to get rid of those problems. It is already an offensive threat due to Sand Force, so increasing its speed would help it in the long run. Here's the set.

@
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 4 SAtk / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    ~ U-Turn
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ Hidden Power [Ice]

U-Turn lets you scout, whilst maintaining offensive pressure and procuring important momentum. Earthquake is used to revenge-kill Steel types like Magnezone, and Heatran, whilst Stone Edge hits flying types, Volcarona and Dragonite. Those two moves are boosted by Sandstorm, which is great. The Naive nature is used because of Hidden Power [Ice], which lands a OHKO on Landbro's biggest threat, Gliscor. It is also a Nature that boosts speed, allowing to outspeed and KO Volcarona after it has used Quiver Dance. Landorus also provides more insurance against Dragonite, who will not be outspeeding you, even after using one Dragon Dance.

Alakazam and Rotom-W look alright. Since you are using 2 Special Attackers, and 4 Physical Attackers, you should play with the two mentioned more carefully.

That's all the time I have to rant for today. Nice team, and good luck.

Last edited by Kira Light on Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:38 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Some brain cells die each time you sneeze.)
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:15 pm

Howdy,

Sandstorm is a cool weather, but all sand teams have a few things in common. First off, most have a weakness to Choice Band Scizor, and this is no exception. I'll address how you can fix that later. Secondly, tough physical walls will hurt you heavily. In fact, you'll have trouble with Gliscor, so I think I can address that as well. First off, I'll address Tyranitar. Before that, I need to address Attract. Most good battlers use Female Pokemon just because of Attract, so your Tyranitar could just be useless after that. It's a gimmicky strategy that doesn't often work. Now, I've used a Dragon Dance Tyranitar before, but let me tell you, I was completely and utterly disappointed. If you really want a Dragon Dancer, Dragonite is always the way to go. Salamence is in the same boat, but it appears that this team is based around sand, so I won't suggest replacing Tyranitar. Instead, I'd go with a Specially Defensive Tyranitar to ease your time against Latios and stuff like that.

Now, secondly, I'd like to address Ferrothorn. I think you should try out Gonogo's spread of 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD to soften up hits better. You also MUST get rid of Iron Defense as it is nearly useless. Use Stealth Rock in its stead. As for running Forretress and Ferrothorn on the same team, it just won't work. They have nearly identical roles. Which do you value more, spinning, or a better defensive backbone? If the answer is spinning, disregard my comments about Ferrothorn and replace him. However, I think Forretress should go, because Ferrothorn is arguably better, but lacks Rapid Spin. To aid that, I think you should try Starmie instead of Forretress. Starmie gives you another way to take down Gliscor, Skarmory, and even can help take down a weakened Scizor. Just don't let it become Pursuit bait.

I think Landorus's set needs a revamp. Allow me to explain: First off, sandstorm boosts his Attack with Sand Force, so why would you not want that? Also, Sheer Force still will confuse you, and it would better to run Rock Slide instead of Stone Edge with Sheer Force because they would do the same damage. However, I'll recommend another set. Go with Kira's Choice Scarf Landorus, as it completes a Volt-Turn core and does a good job at scouting. You could also try out Thunderbolt instead of Trick on Rotom-W because it would help you beat SubDD Gyarados with ease, instead of losing to it. Alakazam looks good, but you could try out Energy Ball over Hidden Power Fire because it offers insurance against Rotom-W, Gastrodon, and Politoed.

Sets:
    Tyranitar @ Leftovers | Sand Stream
    Relaxed Nature | 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
    Ice Beam | Stone Edge | Pursuit | Crunch

Ice Beam handles Gliscor, Dragonite, and company, while the other moves are STAB. Pursuit hits fleeing foes as well.

Starmie @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
    Timid Nature | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Rapid Spin | Hydro Pump | Thunderbolt | Ice Beam

Does its job. Not much to say. Watch out for errant U-turns from Scizor, though. Always go for a Hydro Pump against Scizor, as they are just waiting to use Pursuit anyhow.

Landorus @ Choice Scarf | Sand Force
    Jolly Nature | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Stone Edge | Earthquake | U-turn | Hammer Arm

Not much to say. ALWAYS send this guy out against any Volcarona immediately. It out-speeds and OHKOs with Stone Edge.
    That's just about it. Cool team, and good luck!
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:49 pm

Weaknesses: CB Scizor, Agility Lucario, SubSD Terrakion

You've noted yourself that your team has a large Scizor weakness. However, the only Scizor your team will have problems with is the CB variant. A CB Bullet Punch can weaken your team to the point where it won't be able to stand up to a late-game sweeper, say Salamence or Agility Lucario. Terrakion, the SubSD variant to be exact, also looks like a nuisance for the team to deal with. While you can adequately revenge kill it with Alakazam after you break its Sub, sacking a Pokemon in the process, it'll have taken out 2 or 3 members of your team with a boosted Close Combat and Stone Edge. That forces me to bandwagon with Kira and Harsha with the recommendation of Scarfed Landorus over your current set. Doing so will enable you to beat SubSD Terrakion semi-reliably. What they've recommended is good enough for your cause. Unfortunately, it cannot stop Agility Lucario after it sets up. A bulkier EV spread for Rotom-W could help when trying to revenge kill it, but nothing can switch in safely.

Nitpicks:

Tyranitar: Attract is useless. I'm seconding the recommendation to change it to Stone Edge.

Landorus: Read above in the "Weaknesses" paragraph.

Rotom-W: Nothing much to say here; I'd test Thunderbolt over Trick, as Harsha stated earlier.

Forretress: Use Sturdy. Overcoat does NOTHING for Forretress. Consider replacing with Starmie and shifting Stealth Rock-laying purposes to Ferrothorn. Also, use one of these EV spreads: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef with a Careful nature, or 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpDef. Should you keep Forretress and shift Stealth Rock over to Ferrothorn, I'd recommend using Volt Switch to help escape from Magnezone.

Should you replace Overcoat with Sturdy, then equip your Forretress with Leftovers.

Ferrothorn: Stealth Rock over Iron Defense, and an EV spread of 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpDef with a Relaxed or Impish nature.

Alakazam: Try Focus Sash out.
    Hemlock

Astral Void

Post by Hemlock on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:24 pm

Rick wrote:Weaknesses: CB Scizor, Agility Lucario, SubSD Terrakion

You've noted yourself that your team has a large Scizor weakness. However, the only Scizor your team will have problems with is the CB variant. A CB Bullet Punch can weaken your team to the point where it won't be able to stand up to a late-game sweeper, say Salamence or Agility Lucario. Terrakion, the SubSD variant to be exact, also looks like a nuisance for the team to deal with. While you can adequately revenge kill it with Alakazam after you break its Sub, sacking a Pokemon in the process, it'll have taken out 2 or 3 members of your team with a boosted Close Combat and Stone Edge. That forces me to bandwagon with Kira and Harsha with the recommendation of Scarfed Landorus over your current set. Doing so will enable you to beat SubSD Terrakion semi-reliably. What they've recommended is good enough for your cause. Unfortunately, it cannot stop Agility Lucario after it sets up. A bulkier EV spread for Rotom-W could help when trying to revenge kill it, but nothing can switch in safely.

Nitpicks:

Tyranitar: Attract is useless. I'm seconding the recommendation to change it to Stone Edge.

Landorus: Read above in the "Weaknesses" paragraph.

Rotom-W: Nothing much to say here; I'd test Thunderbolt over Trick, as Harsha stated earlier.

Forretress: Use Sturdy. Overcoat does NOTHING for Forretress. Consider replacing with Starmie and shifting Stealth Rock-laying purposes to Ferrothorn. Also, use one of these EV spreads: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef with a Careful nature, or 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SpDef. Should you keep Forretress and shift Stealth Rock over to Ferrothorn, I'd recommend using Volt Switch to help escape from Magnezone.

Should you replace Overcoat with Sturdy, then equip your Forretress with Leftovers.

Ferrothorn: Stealth Rock over Iron Defense, and an EV spread of 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpDef with a Relaxed or Impish nature.

Alakazam: Try Focus Sash out.

Overcoat is useless for one reason, Forretress is immune to Sandstorm. They only thing would be dangerous to Forretress would be hail and that isn't common. As said by the other 3, I suggest you use Scarfed Landorus to get rid of Terrakion. Attract doesn't do much in competitive as it is to hax-dependant and gimmicky to use effectively. I tried using a DDtar and it was horrid. Stone Edge would be good for Volcarona, who can possibly rip through you after a couple of Quiver Dances.

Spoiler:
    Calculations

Detailed Result:
    252 SpAtk Life Orb Volcarona Bug Buzz vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Tyranitar: 77.42% - 91.5%
    2 hits to KO

Possible HP Damage: 264, 267, 270, 273, 276, 279, 282, 285, 288, 291, 294, 297, 300, 303, 306, 312

252 SpAtk Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Landorus: 99.06% - 116.61%
    93.75% chance to OHKO

Possible HP Damage: 316, 319, 324, 327, 330, 334, 337, 342, 345, 349, 352, 357, 360, 364, 367, 372

Detailed Result:
    252 SpAtk Life Orb Volcarona Bug Buzz vs 0 HP/4 SpDef Rotom-W: 77.18% - 90.87%
    2 hits to KO

Possible HP Damage: 186, 189, 190, 193, 195, 198, 199, 202, 204, 207, 208, 211, 213, 214, 217, 219

Detailed Result:
    252 SpAtk Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs 0 HP/0 SpDef Forretress: 546.39% - 643.3%
    100% chance to OHKO

Possible HP Damage: 1590, 1608, 1626, 1644, 1662, 1680, 1698, 1722, 1740, 1758, 1776, 1794, 1812, 1830, 1848, 1872

Detailed Result:
    252 SpAtk Life Orb Volcarona Fire Blast vs 252 HP/240 SpDef Ferrothorn: 197.73% - 231.82%
    100% chance to OHKO

Possible HP Damage: 696, 702, 708, 720, 726, 732, 744, 750, 756, 768, 774, 786, 792, 798, 810, 816

Detailed Result:
    252 SpAtk Life Orb Volcarona Bug Buzz vs 0 HP/4 SpDef Alakazam: 179.28% - 210.36%
    100% chance to OHKO

Possible HP Damage: 450, 456, 459, 465, 471, 477, 480, 486, 492, 498, 501, 507, 513, 519, 525, 528
    Through all those calculations, it is RECOMMENDED that you put Stone Edge on T-tar. The sad part is, Volcarona doesn't need to get 1 Quiver Dance in to OHKO or 2HKO your entire team. If Landorus misses twice with Stone Edge on Volcarona, you can kiss your win goodbye!
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:30 pm

Stone Edge is a reliable way to deal with Volcarona. You can rely on a 96% chance of winning.
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:31 pm

If you're adamant about keeping DDTar, then consider using a Babiri Berry and Rock Slide / Stone Edge.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Post by Roxie on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:30 pm

I will edit the team later when I'm feeling more...calm. I have matters I need to attend to. Rick, lock this until I edit it please.

Start of turn 1
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:48 pm

Locked upon request.
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Post by Roxie on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:24 pm

Ok, so I've updated the team, and I made a second set to the update as well. I added a Gliscor to one, and I can't remember the other. I have noticed now that Zam's HP Fire is the perfect way to deal with CB Scizor (with Rick's Focus Sash idea) assuming Zam is already out. That Babiri berry has saved me a few times. When I get back on my laptop someone remind me to rework everything.

Start of turn 1
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:11 pm