The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

The Lake Show

harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

The Lake Show

Post by harsha on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:36 pm

The Lake Show
    A DPPt OU RMT by Harsha

Introduction

Though Rick is one of the only people here with Gen 4 experience, I just assumed I should post this here.
    Hi guys, as most of you probably know, I'm a frequent OU player. After a bit of experimenting, I decided I wanted to test out a new tier. I looked at an article that detailed the DPPt OU meta game, and then, I decided to take a look at both the regular and 1337 usage statistics for the DPPt meta game. I was actually very surprised. Many of the Pokémon that are outdated in the BW meta game were very popular in the DPPt meta game, so I decided to build a team and take them out for a spin. I experimented with both offensive and defensive Pokémon, and this team is what resulted. I named my Pokémon after members of my favorite basketball team, the L.A. Lakers. They're a defensive team, but they have the firepower to turn it up on offense at will; this mindset describes how my team functions fairly well. The team laddered to the 1200s on the Pokémon Online server, though it crashed while I was battling. I know the rating isn't too high, but I don't know if I'll go back and try to ladder again simply because ladder hax taxes my patience. However, I'll try not to bore you with this introduction. Let's look at the team itself!

At a Glance

A Closer Look

---

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf | Sand Stream
    Jolly Nature | 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
    Superpower | Stone Edge | Crunch | Pursuit

Choice Scarf Tyranitar is never seen in the BW OU meta game, but upon reading about him in an article and looking at the usage stats, he is apparently the most used Tyranitar set out there. I tried it out, and it's actually quite good. He functions similarly to Pau Gasol for this team—both he and Pau are solid defensive presences, but they work very well on offense as well. Tyranitar can beat Pokemon that would normally take him down, such as Lucario and others, as it out-speeds them. In the case of Lucario, I can OHKO him with a quick Superpower and switch out the next turn. This really comes in handy when a Pokémon is trying to set up on me and I don't have Hippowdon. Stone Edge provides me with a powerful STAB attack that will decimate opponents who send out Dragonite or Salamence and expect me to switch out while they set up. STAB Crunch rounds out the coverage, and it hits fairly hard. It’s Tyranitar’s most reliable move, so I often use it late in the game. Pursuit has the ability to trap foes, so it’s pretty useful. It catches fleeing Starmie, which is always great. The nature and EVs are actually standard, and they aid to Scarf Tyranitar’s purpose; that is hitting hard before getting hit. Jolly adds to the speed and doesn’t take away from my offensive stats that I’m using, which is always cool. Sand Stream is Tyranitar’s only available ability, and it is great because the sandstorm can often weaken my opponents that aren’t Rock-, Steel-, or Ground-types.

---

Heatran @ Leftovers | Flash Fire
    Timid Nature | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Substitute | Fire Blast | Earth Power | Toxic

I truly wasn’t sure why Heatran was seen on more than 40% of teams in the DPPt meta game until I chose to try out a set myself. I can say firsthand that it worked wonders. Much like Andrew Bynum, Heatran provides a great defensive presence and an amazing offensive presence. Also like Bynum, Heatran provides a surprise factor that can nab a lot of KOs. Since I don’t have Stealth Rock on Tyranitar and there is no team preview in DPPt, I can fool my opponent into believing that I use a Stealth Rock variant of Heatran so that they try and react appropriately. However, when my opponent switches, I can set up a Substitute and proceed to wreak havoc. Fire Blast is my STAB of choice because it hits super hard and breaks down a lot of common Pokémon. KOing Gengar and company is nothing to laugh about, especially because Gengar is a huge foe for this team to face. Earth Power is a more reliable attack that also hits fairly hard, and it hits Steel- and Fire-types for super effective damage. Toxic is there to wear down walls, and it’s great for opposing Blissey that want to switch in. The Timid nature gives me a speed boost to always beat out opposing Breloom, while the EVs maximize special attack and speed—the two most important stats for a sweeper like Heatran. Leftovers mitigates the damage I take from setting up Substitutes, so it’s very important for Heatran. Flash Fire gives me switch-ins on Fire-type attacks, though there aren’t many that would be aimed at my team bar Will-O-Wisp. All-in-all, Heatran is a very important member for the team.

---

Suicune @ Leftovers | Pressure
    Bold Nature | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
    Surf | Calm Mind | Rest | Sleep Talk

This is a standard CroCune set that I decided to test out. Like Josh McRoberts of the Lakers, “All he does is make highlights!” Actually, when I was first introduced to competitive battling, all my friends used to use their CroCunes on me, while I could never do anything to beat them. I finally became a better battler, and have strategies for dealing with specific threats, though those memories of CroCune always haunted me. Then, I looked at the DPPt usage stats. I was surprised to see Suicune so high up in the statistics, and I then decided to use a CroCune on my newest team. Honestly, I was skeptical at first, but Suicune has been doing its job quite efficiently. Though Suicune has only one attack, do not underestimate it. With multiple Calm Mind boosts under its belt, Suicune becomes quite frightening. “If it takes so long to set Suicune up, why doesn’t the opponent just hit it with status?” is a question you may be asking yourself at this point. Well, the answer is simple: Rest. Rest removes Suicune’s status, making it good as new, albeit asleep. However, with Sleep Talk, Suicune can still function well while asleep. It has a 67% chance of using a useful move, which is more than enough considering that Suicune has so much bulk. The max HP and defense EVs ensure that no physical threat will harm Suicune, while Calm Mind boosts special defense and special attack. After three boosts or so, Suicune can usually go on a rampage unless the opponent gets a critical hit. Pressure is a cool ability for Suicune because it allows it to wear down the opponent’s more powerful moves that have less PP. Leftovers is an essential item on the set because the recovery at the end of each turn ensures Suicune is not damaged too badly by the sandstorm that Tyranitar summons.

---

Dragonite @ Lum Berry | Inner Focus
    Adamant Nature | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Dragon Dance | Fire Punch | Earthquake | Outrage

Much like Kobe Bryant does for the Lakers, Dragonite is an amazing offensive and defensive presence. He provides a multitude of defensive resistances thanks to his Dragon-type typing and also has a great arsenal to abuse in terms of his move pool. Like Kobe, Dragonite has the ability to do virtually anything; he’s easily one of the most diverse Pokémon in the game. Though he lacks the amazing boon of Multiscale that BW brought, he is still one of the most effective sweepers in the entire game. Dragon Dance is Dragonite’s boosting move of choice because after one, Dragonite beats down most offensively oriented Pokémon, while after two, you may as well say “gg.” Fire Punch provides coverage against many common Pokemon like Scizor and Forretress, but more importantly, it allows Dragonite to rip through Skarmory and Bronzong if he’s boosted enough. Earthquake covers Heatran who would wall an Earthquake-less set. Since Heatran is number one in usage, I decided that it would be wise to use Earthquake as opposed to a healing move such as Roost. I’m not quite sure how many times I’ve repeated this pun, but Outrage from Dragonite is outrageously powerful. Seriously, it is capable of nabbing a 2HKO on Heatran, who is normally a solid Dragon resist. Though it can cause confusion, I’ve decided to stick with it over Dragon Claw because Dragonite is more offensively oriented. The nature and EVs give me maximum physical power, while I retain max speed. I have enough to beat Starmie at +1, which is a pretty good benchmark in my opinion. The remaining EVs are tossed into special defense because most moves aimed at Dragonite are special Ice-type attacks. Inner Focus is mostly a useless ability, but it allows me to beat people who try to use Fake Out on Dragonite. Besides, Multiscale is only a 5th Gen ability. Lum Berry allows me to continue my onslaught if the opponent tries to hit me with an errant Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp. In other words, Dragonite has proven to be highly useful to my team.

---

Rotom-W @ Leftovers | Levitate
    Bold Nature | 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spe
    Will-O-Wisp | Shadow Ball | Discharge | Hydro Pump

Though Rotom-A did not have its secondary STAB for signature moves in the DPPt era, it provides a great defensive presence and a good spin-blocker. It actually functions much like Derek Fisher on the Lakers; he can work offensively and he has a good defensive presence, but he is mostly there because he's standard. While that's not completely true, Rotom-A was thrown on to the team using an offensive set. However, I changed it to a defensive variant to ease my setting up with other sweepers on the team. Will-O-Wisp is defensive Rotom-A's main selling point. With Will-O-Wisp, I can burn physical threats who may try and disrupt the rest of my team. Shadow Ball provides obligatory STAB that does a number to some switch-ins. Discharge was chosen over Thunderbolt because it allows me to paralyze some physical foes that could be troublesome later in the game. Hydro Pump is, of course, a filler move that does decent damage to those who are hit super effectively, or those that resist Rotom-A's STAB combo. The EVs and nature are those of the on-site analysis, and they really aid in sponging up physical hits. Levitate, Rotom's only ability, is great because I can avoid super effective Ground-type attacks, as well as not be affected by Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Leftovers is the item of choice to neutralize the passive damage of the sandstorm.

---

Hippowdon @ Leftovers | Sand Stream
    Careful Nature | 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Stealth Rock | Earthquake | Roar | Slack Off

Never underestimate Ron Artest; he has the ability to defend quite well, and he can often annoy the best player of the other team. Hippowdon can do this job similarly. This is actually the set that I saw on Kevin Garrett's archived RMT, Kevin Garrett Stall. Hippowdon is a reliable layer of Stealth Rock, and it can take lots of hits on both ends of the spectrum due to its natural bulk. The ability to pHaze away Pokémon who try and set up is another reason that I added Hippowdon to my team; I hate when people try and set up on my walls. Roar takes care of anyone who tries to either set up a Substitute in my face, as well as those who are reckless enough to try and Dragon Dance in front of me. Since I have no Rapid Spin user, I opted to use Slack Off instead of another coverage move like Ice Fang to patch up any residual damage from entry hazards. It's a reliable move that makes Hippowdon all the more fearsome. The nature and EVs are also shamelessly stolen, but they offer a useful defensive buffer against specially based threats. I can still take physical threats on due to Hippowdon's natural physical bulk, as well as the massive amount of HP he has. Sand Stream is the ability of choice because it gives me a secondary weather to prevent abusers of rain and sun while allowing me to continually wear down the opponent with residual damage. Leftovers is a no-brainer because the automatic recovery at the end of each turn is a blessing that I enjoy abusing.

Importable
    Code:
    Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Superpower
    - Stone Edge
    - Pursuit
    - Crunch

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Toxic

Suicune @ Leftovers
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Surf
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Fire Punch
    - Earthquake
    - Outrage

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 208 Def / 48 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Discharge
    - Hydro Pump
    - Shadow Ball

Hippowdon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar
    - Earthquake
    - Slack Off
    Conclusion
    Like I said, I'm a frequent 5th Gen player, but this was my first attempt to dip into the older 4th Gen meta game, and I believe it turned out pretty well. I'd love to hear anything 4th Gen players have to offer, as I'm not too well acquainted with the meta game. In fact, I started using this team and laddering just the other day, so I am very new to 4th Gen. Thanks for reading through, I really appreciate it. I hope you had as much fun reading this as I had writing it! Please leave a rate, or even thoughts you have as to improve the team. Though it's been working, I know that no team is perfect. Thanks again!

Changes in RED.
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Re: The Lake Show

Post by Kira Light on Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Placeholder.

Tõx
    Server Administrator
    Server Administrator

So did I. <3
    Looking for my Tv.

Post by Tõx on Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:15 am

Just one little thing.
    Without The team preview the "lead metagame" was more important than it is in the BW era.
    Assuming Tar as your lead,let me say that using him in the first position,can really make you start the game in a difficult position.
    All the common leads have a really nice time aganist Tar,putting him to sleep,Ohking or just setting their Hazards,so you will be forced either to lose the momentum or losing a pokèmon.
    That's why I suggest to replace Hippodown with Gliscor,and use him as a lead.(As the sand hippo has a lots of bad match-ups aganist other leads-just think of Azelf and Aereodactyl,who both shout him whit taunt and set their rocks-and Gliscor brings lost of resistance to the table,and it is also capable to help aganist stall.)
    Gliscor.
    Trait: Sand Veil
    Jolly nature
    @Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Roost
    ~ Taunt / U-turn
    Scor takes advantage of Tar's sand,abusing its Sand veil ability,and thanks to his immunity and resistance has lot of opportunities to switch in.
    You can also use lead Roserade,that fits your team well,completing the FWG core along with Tran and Cune,and pose a threat to vaporeon,who can cause some troubles to your team.
    Roserade
    Trait:Natural Cure
    Timid nature
    @Focus Sash
    EVs:4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    ~ Toxic Spikes
    ~ Sleep Powder
    ~ Leaf Storm / Grass Knot / Energy Ball
    ~ Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice

On Heatran you can try Hp[Electric]or Explosion over toxic,as the former desmolishes Gyarados,a common switch-in on Tran,and the latter kills Blissey(Don't forget to change the nature if using explosion).
    If you opt for Roserade,you can even run the Sr on that spot,if you don't want to lose the rock help.
    I hope to have been of some help,and that my english was clear to read.Anyway,you made once again a great job,Harsha.
    Spoiler:
    If you want to find out more about lead and stuff,read these articles.Selecting a lead,Lead synergy

Last edited by Tõx on Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Some spelling mistakes.)
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:02 am

Salamence is banned from 4th Gen. OU. Now, onto the rest of my rate.

Opposing stall with Forretress and Rotom-A can really aggravate your team, as does SubPetaya Empoleon when Suicune is taken out of play. Shaymin with HP Ice can also prove itself a problem for your team to face down. However, those are individual threats. Together, SubPetaya Empoleon and Shaymin can run through your team.

PLACEHOLDER WHILE I SOLVE SOME OTHER MATTERS

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:08 am