The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Bulls on Parade

harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Bulls on Parade

Post by harsha on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:20 pm

Bulls on Parade

Introduction
    Though this team was not based to reflect the Houston Texans in any way at all, and it doesn't even have a bull on it, I chose to name it Bulls on Parade as a salute to the Texans, my favorite football team. After a season full of ups and downs, including the Texans' first-ever playoff birth, I'm proud to be a fan of one of the best football teams out there. Sadly, they were knocked out of the playoffs recently by the Baltimore Ravens, but watch out, they're going for the gold next year. As for the team itself, I chose to make it because I wanted something that would perform well with a U-turning core for an article that Wario is OSSIM and I are currently writing. As of now, the team has failed to disappoint me, as it constantly forces switches and usually brings the momentum in my favor. Though the team itself is pretty unconventional, I'm proud to say that in its current version, it has brought me zero losses. Of course, there is probably a weakness to a Pokemon that I missed, or something along those lines, so by all means tell me what you find when looking at the team. I'm not going to ladder with it, and likewise, I have no relevant peak to share with you. However, I have tested it on the ladder a few times, and from what I've seen, it's worked fairly well. Hax is a big concern of mine, because a lot of my moves have less than perfect accuracy. However, they are all necessary because I tend to need them to bust me out of many situations. So, without further ado, here is the team!

Team at a Glance

Under the Microscope

---

Infernape @ Life Orb | Blaze
    Hasty Nature | 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
    Overheat | Close Combat | U-turn | Stone Edge

Here is Jacoby Jones; he may be frail, but he is fast and dedicated to the team. Infernape is usually my lead because he deals so well with nearly every threat in the current meta game. The move set may seem odd, but it's really fairly straightforward. Mixed Infernape is truly a freak. I will usually spam U-turn to begin, making my opponent assume that I'm using a straight physical set. However, when they bring out something like Skarmory or Gliscor to hopefully wall me, I'll hit it with an Overheat, which will always OHKO both of the two walls. Infernape's onslaught does not end there, though. Though a -2 drop in Special Attack seems devastating, Infernape's moves are all physical aside from Overheat. Close Combat is a really powerful STAB attack that will leave a hole in almost anything not Ghost or Psychic type. U-turn is to help my team carry momentum, and it's cool for said Psychic types that try and wall me. Stone Edge is honestly just a move I threw on, though I rarely use it. It's theoretically for Salamence and Dragonite, but those two are dealt with by other Pokemon. For the EVs and nature, Infernape has maxed Attack and Speed, and Hasty to speed-tie maximum Speed Terrakion / Virizion. Hasty lowers Defense, which doesn't really matter for Pokemon like Infernape, who are meant to just hit hard and get out. Plus, it leaves my Special Attack alone for Overheat. Life Orb adds more power to Infernape's moves so that he KOs lots of key Pokemon. Though the drop in health and survivability seems devastating, I have a spinner to help out when needed, and I have Wish support as well. Blaze is really a useless ability, but if hazards are stacked up, Infernape can make good use of it. Infernape is truly underrated, which is one reason I wanted to promote him with this team.

---

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf | Levitate
    Modest Nature | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Draco Meteor | U-turn | Fire Blast | Focus Blast

Here, we have Andre Johnson; he helps the team out when it needs momentum the most, and drives daggers into the hearts of others. My last team, King of the Road, utilized a Hydreigon set that I was really proud of; however, I decided to try a new set because I wanted to capitalize on a switching core in the Sun. Though this set is very different, the power behind it has never let me down. Can't you tell by the three heads? This Dragon isn't playing any games. Hydreigons Draco Meteor is used when I really need to take down a threat, like a Gengar that's out-speeding and hurting me, or a Rotom-W that's doing the same. It has massive power, and I have OHKOd the former multiple times with this set. U-turn is obviously for momentum, something the team was based on. It allows me to switch out on impending Jirachis and the like. Fire Blast is a powerful move. Under the Sun, it can OHKO or 2HKO anything that does not resist it, bar Chansey and Blissey, I believe. It's really very useful, and I often spam it. Focus Blast is there, though I rarely use it. I have a better Fighting type user in Infernape that doesn't get walled by the blobs, so it's really no big deal. The EVs and nature are tailored to hit hard and get outta' there. The Choice Scarf only makes Hydreigon more deadly, though it costs me the ability to switch moves. I really don't mind, though. Nothing else on my team is Choiced, anyhow. Levitate is a really cool ability because I can come in on Earthquakes aimed at Jirachi, Infernape, and Ninetales, and I can avoid status from Toxic Spikes and residual damage from Spikes. Hydreigon is truly a monster, as all three heads can attest to.

---

Dragonite @ Leftovers | Multiscale
    Adamant Nature | 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
    Substitute | Dragon Dance | Dragon Claw | Earthquake

Dragonite is my favorite Pokemon of all time, so you don't expect me to leave him off one of my favorite teams, do you? Much like Arian Foster, Dragonite may not be the fastest, but with his skills, he cuts up the opposition. Honestly, I've had so much fun with this set. Though Scizor gives him pains, Dragonite can shrug off blows like a champ while dealing out massive damage. The move set is really one of the best Dragonite sets I've ever tried. Substitute is amazing for setting up on walls that try and status Dragonite to deal with him. Ferrothorn will honestly have nightmares facing Dragonite, even though he carries no super effective moves. Dragon Dance skyrockets Dragonite's Attack and Speed, and turns him into a killing machine. Dragon Claw is used over Outrage because I don't want to be affected by confusion behind a Sub, and it still retains STAB and does a lot of damage as well. Earthquake is to round out coverage, and the only Pokemon that Dragonite is unable to hit are Skarmory and Bronzong. However, the rest of the team covers those to very well, so there is no need for more coverage. As far as the EVs and nature go, I actually made them myself. I maximized Attack with the Adamant nature and max Attack EVs. I invested just enough EVs into Speed to beat out Pokemon at 115 base Speed like Starmie. The rest of the EVs are dumped into HP to give me reliable Subs. Dragonite's item, Leftovers, recovers Dragonite from the Subs that he sets up, so it's is essential. Multiscale is one of the best abilities in the game, and it allows me to shrug off attacks at maximum HP. Without Stealth Rock, the opponent will pay, and I have a spinner in case Stealth Rock is used, so there are no worries here. Dragonite is a force to be reckoned with.

---

Ninetales @ Leftovers | Drought
    Modest Nature |
    128 HP / 252 SpA / 20 SpD / 108 Spe
    Will-O-Wisp | Fire Blast | SolarBeam | Sunny Day

Ninetales is really one of the most valuable players on this team. It helps facilitate the team, much like Matt Schaub does for the Texans. This is actually a move set that I was introduced to the other day, and I have found it extremely effective. Ninetales can shut down opposing weathers on the switch with Sunny Day, while 2HKOing most variants of Politoed. Fire Blast is an extremely powerful move that leaves a dent in anything that is not a dedicated special wall. As stated earlier, SolarBeam is to nab coverage against Pokemon that resist Fire Blast, though Dragons are adamant to that fact. That's why Ninetales carries Will-O-Wisp; Ninetales can effectively shut down the opposition's Dragon types by burning them. It also catches Pokemon like Terrakion on the switch by surprise, though I'm often disappointed by the accuracy. No matter, the move set is most likely static because it works really well. EVs and nature are standard on Sunny Day Ninetales. HP and the small amount of Special Defense EVs helps sponge hits, while the Special Attack is to hit back harder. Speed is to beat Timid Politoed, which is a nice benchmark to hit. The Modest nature also contributes to Ninetales's power.. Leftovers is key because it keeps Ninetales in optimum position to perform, changing many 2HKOs to 3HKOs and so on. Drought is obviously key to this set, as well as key to this team. It helps support my team really well, which is always a good thing.

---

Jirachi @ Leftovers | Serene Grace
    Jolly Nature | 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
    Body Slam | Iron Head | Wish | Drain Punch

Jirachi is the annoyance of this team, much like Brian Cushing is for the Houston Texans. It defends against the opposition's Dragon types, and it takes special moves that the rest of the team cannot handle. This set is fairly standard, but I will explain it nevertheless. Body Slam has a 60% paralysis rate, so I can usually count on it to get me out of a pinch. It is used against Pokemon that try and set up on me, or whenever I can predict a switch-in. However, I know not to spam it if the opponent has Gengars and such at bay. Iron Head makes a great ParaFlinch hax combo, and it is abused many times throughout my battles. Wish is to support the team, and it's used when hazards or other things are taking a lot of my team's collective HP away. Drain Punch is actually cool for helping me out against Magnezone, and it does near 38% damage each turn, which is really cool. However, I may replace it with U-turn to fit the theme of the team better. The EVs and nature help me sponge hits while outpacing common Pokemon like Breloom, hopefully allowing me to paralyze them on the switch. Leftovers is there to negate damage I take, and it's always useful. Serene Grace is obvious, as it helps hax my opponent, which is cool, I guess. Jirachi is truly one of the most annoying Pokemon out there, and if you can't beat it, it's very likely that you will ragequit.

---

Claydol @ Leftovers | Levitate
    Impish Nature | 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
    Earthquake | Rapid Spin | Stealth Rock | Reflect

Much like Mario Williams, Claydol is bulky and helps support the team. Claydol may seem like an odd choice with all the other spinners available such as Donphan and Starmie, but trust me, it's going nowhere. I am constantly impressed with how Claydol handles major threats to this team like Terrakion. Not only that, though. Claydol can spin away hazards effectively, and it has the ability to protect my team with Reflect. Reflect is cool for when I want to send out another Pokemon on things like Landorus. Rapid Spin obviously helps protect this team from entry hazards, which it is extremely susceptible to. Stealth Rock is there to nab many OHKOs and 2HKOs that my Pokemon would not normally achieve. Earthquake eases my time with Terrakion, and it 2HKOs it in turn. Though you may think Claydol is extremely outclassed, trust me; that is not the case. The EVs and nature are really self explanatory, as they help me take maximal hits from the physical spectrum. I can avoid a 2HKO from +2 Terrakion while 2HKOing it back on my own. This dude really aids me when I have problems setting up Dragonite and gaining momentum, which makes it a key player on this team. Leftovers allow me to take hits better, while Levitate offers ample switch-in opportunities against Pokemon spamming Earthquake. It also allows me to escape the ill effects of hazards that I'll be spinning, other than Stealth Rock. Really, go try out a Claydol of your own. It is amazing.

Importable
    Code:
    Infernape (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Blaze
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
    - Overheat
    - Close Combat
    - U-turn
    - Stone Edge

Hydreigon (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - U-turn
    - Fire Blast
    - Draco Meteor
    - Focus Blast

Dragonite (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Inner Focus
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Dragon Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Claw

Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 128 HP / 252 SAtk / 20 SDef / 108 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Fire Blast
    - Sunny Day
    - SolarBeam

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Body Slam
    - Iron Head
    - Wish
    - Drain Punch

Claydol @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Rapid Spin
    - Stealth Rock
    - Reflect
    Conclusion

As I said, I have no impressive ladder peaks and whatnot to share, though I love to battle for fun. This team has quickly become one of my favorites because it actually covers most threats that Sun teams face pretty well. I would love help improving it, and all help in the form of rates, comments, etc will be appreciated. Like I said earlier, the team depends on a U-turning core and an amazing sweeper that has failed to fail me. Share your thoughts, please! I really appreciate it! Thanks for taking the time to read through this RMT. It is probably my longest one yet. Also, credit for all the artwork is Ken Sugimori's, while the sprites are from Smogon itself.

Oh, and go Texans! #BullsOnParade

Last edited by Harsha on Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Re: Bulls on Parade

Post by Kira Light on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:22 pm

PLACEHOLDER.

EDIT:
    Replacing Reflect by Light Screen would be beneficial for your Claydol, as it could take hits easier on both sides of the spectrum. Its defense is already very high, so adding more bulk to the special side would be better for Claydol and the other team members. If Claydol is out of the picture, your team is rather weak to Scarf Terrakion could cause a lot of problems. I'd recommend a Slowbro with this set.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk | 0 Atk
    Bold Nature (-Atk, +Def)
    ~ Scald / Toxic
    ~ Slack Off
    ~ Psychic
    ~ Fire Blast

Slowbro gets a boosted Fire Blast in sun, and can repeatedly take hits for the whole team, whilst keeping Terrakion and other physical sweepers in check. Switching out grants a 33% health boost, to assure a higher survivability. Its synergy is pretty good with Claydol, as its Electric weakness is covered by Claydol. Slack Off helas 50% of HP, and Psychic is a STAB that can hit fighting types like ConkelHURR. Scald, although weakened in sun, burns 30% of the time, to really cripple many Pokemon. I think Ninetales could be replaced by Slowbro, as not that many members of your team are helped by Sun. Jirachi's weakness to fire gets even worst in Sun, so it could be replaced, in my opinion.

I might add more later, but this is it, for now. Nice team overall, and good luck!

Last edited by Kira Light on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:00 pm

First, this team is a little Penembakan Hasrat Membunuh weak. Just saying. Now, with that out of the way, onto the actual rate.

Despite this being a sun-based team, Life Orb Starmie and Bulky DD Dragonite can cause trouble for your team to deal with. I admit that Jirachi is a reasonable option for dealing with Starmie and Dragonite, but it can't take repeated hits.

CONSIDER THIS A PLACEHOLDER WHILE I FINISH PENEMBAKAN HASRAT MEMBUNUH AND MY PARAGRAPHS FOR THE GUIDE.
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:33 pm

Though you say that my team doesn't benefit from Sun, that's actually not true. Infernape and Hydreigon obviously look like the only beneficiaries, but it actually extends farther than that. If I don't have Ninetales, Sand teams wreck me because I lose health each turn. Rain abusers hurt me too, and I can't use Fire moves with the same type of carefree attitude. Also, Dragonite is completely worthless against Sand. Also, I've replaced Reflect with Ice Beam, as I can deal with less bulky Dragonite and other things. Scarf Terrakion can't touch Claydol, actually, so I can take him well. CB Terrakion is dealt with by Hydreigon.
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by Kira Light on Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:20 pm

With Claydol gone, nothing can switch in safely on CB Terrakion.
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:27 pm

That's why I don't let Claydol go if I see a Terrakion. Team Preview is really helpful for dealing with Terrakion.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:28 am