The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

King of the Road (5th Gen OU)

harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

King of the Road (5th Gen OU)

Post by harsha on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:16 am

King of the Road
    An OU RMT by Harsha
    Hey guys. After my last team, Jaws, I began to play a lot more UU. Though UU was fun, I realized that I wanted to return to my love: OU. OU is easily my favorite tier. Though many call it repetitive, it has the most fun Pokemon and the best competition. My desire to create a new team arose around Substitute Hydreigon, one of the best sweepers in the game right now. All the other members were pieces that I felt would help out with covering my weaknesses.
    Well, there is the team preview. Now, a lot of these sets are straightforward, and they help Hydreigon's sweep immensely. I'm hoping to have some success with this team, though I have stopped laddering on bigger servers. Anyhow, any and all advice is appreciated. Please, read on!

Under the Microscope

---

Politoed @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 248 HP | 252 Def | 8 Spe
    IVs: 0 Atk
    Bold Nature [+Def, -Atk]
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Hydro Pump
    ~ Perish Song
    ~ Toxic

Politoed is a staple on all Rain teams, and it is certainly no exception in this case. Reliably being able to beat Baton Pass users and take in stronger Physical hits is something, and it really helps with the defensive backbone of this team. Politoed can withstand a +1 Outrage from a Dragonite and KO back with Ice Beam, which is always useful. Speaking of Ice Beam, it's a great coverage move and attack in general. Hitting Dragons is always great, because they are so powerful. Toxic helps wear down walls that I don't care to paralyze. Hydro Pump is pure power, and it hits like a truck when factoring in Water STAB, Rain, and sheer base power. The EVs maximize physical bulk while allowing me to take less damage from hazards on each switch because of the odd amount of HP. The nature is another reason that Politoed sponges hits so well, and is yet another important part of my defensive backbone. The IVs minimize confusion damage. Leftovers give Politoed reliable recovery, and they help me avoid many 2HKOs. Toxic is probably the most replaceable part of this set, as I don't use it very often. Is Encore worth a shot?

---

Tornadus @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 SpA | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
    IVs: 30 Atk | 30 Def
    Timid Nature [+Spe, -Atk]
    ~ U-turn
    ~ Hidden Power [Ice]
    ~ Focus Blast
    ~ Hurricane

Tornadus is a powerhouse. Truly, he's one of the most fierce killers in OU. Instead of going with Agammemnon's Bulk Up set, I chose a more conventional Choice Specs set. I wanted immediate power instead of another set up sweeper, so I went with this set. Choice Specs skyrockets my Special Attack, which is already large. Hurricane is obviously my move of choice because it has 180 base power with STAB factored in and 100 accuracy with Rain on the field. Focus Blast and Hidden Power [Ice] cover Steels and weakened Dragons or 4x weaknesses respectively. U-Turn is only used to pressure my opponent to make the correct moves and switches. It's one of the main reasons this set works so well. The EVs maximize Special Attack and Speed, and the Timid nature makes sure that I am not out-sped by opposing Lati@s twins. The IVs allow me to out-speed opposing Tornadus who use the default 30 Speed IVs. I may change the nature to preserve my Attack at the cost of Defense, so let me know if I should.

---

Lucario @ Life Orb
    Trait: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 Atk | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature [+Atk, -SpA]
    ~ Swords Dance
    ~ ExtremeSpeed
    ~ Close Combat
    ~ Bullet Punch

Lucario is a truly underrated sweeper. With double priority, it can take down most teams. It's so powerful that not even resists like Latios can switch into him, as Latios takes over 50% from an unboosted Close Combat, and is later killed by an unboosted Extremespeed. Swords Dance is vital on this set, and it allows Lucario to nab lots of unexpected KOs. Extremespeed is impressive +2 priority, and can be used against common threats that try to out-speed and kill me. Close Combat is to kill Stall, and it does a number to even Pokemon who resist it. Bullet Punch is secondary STAB, and it is on the set to KO things that Lucario's Extremespeed will not kill. It's probably the least used move on the set, though. The EVs maximize Attack and Speed, which are the most important stats for sweepers like Lucario. The Adamant nature is helpful because it allows me to hit harder. Life Orb is a great item because it boosts my attacking prowess for the cost of 10% of my HP per turn, which is no big deal because I'm not too worried about losing HP with double priority. Inner Focus allows me to escape flinch hax, which is always cool.

---

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SpA | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
    IVs: 0 Atk
    Modest Nature [+SpA, -Atk]
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Dragon Pulse
    ~ Focus Blast
    ~ Surf

Hydreigon is one of the most underrated Pokemon in OU. Truly. I never was a fan of him competitively, but after reading about him on a few teams, I decided to take him out for a spin. If I have been disappointed in anything, it would be his lack of Speed, but his above-average bulk more than makes up for that. Substitute lets me dodge status or get an extra turn to attack if an opponent switches out. Dragon Pulse is not actually my primary move, despite STAB; the most used attack is actually Surf. Surf has a higher base power than the rest of my moves because of the Rain, so I usually use that. If a resist comes in, I use Dragon Pulse. Otherwise, Focus Blast is there to take care of nosy Steels. It also helps take care of Tyranitar who can be troublesome due to Sand Stream. The nature and the EVs maximize Special Attack, and I tried to get as much Speed as possible without using a +Spe nature. The IVs again minimize Confusion damage. Leftovers is vital because they allow me to regain HP after each turn, and when using a move that taxes HP like Substitute, recovery is often key. Levitate allows me to escape Earthquakes aimed at Magnezone, Lucario, and Jirachi, providing ample opportunities to switch in and avoid even Spikes and Toxic Spikes.

---

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP | 224 SpD | 32 Spe
    Careful Nature [+SpD, -SpA]
    ~ Body Slam
    ~ Iron Head
    ~ Wish
    ~ Stealth Rock

Jirachi is another defensive buffer on my team, and it helps a lot with allowing my Pokemon to sweep through the opponent. Wish support is the first thing that makes Jirachi important. Hydreigon and Tornadus heavily appreciate Wish support because they have to switch into Stealth Rock a lot. In Hydreigon's case, Substitute also taxes HP, so Wish is important. Also, parahax support is great. Since Hydreigon is not overly fast, I can use Body Slam to paralyze my opponent and then KO him later with faster sweepers. Another way to deal with fast opponents is to use para / flinch hax, which is never a good thing to do to someone. Iron Head provides STAB and flinch hax, and is a crux on this set. Stealth Rock is really important, because it disrupts my opponent and allows me to nab KOs on Dragonite and other Pokemon of that sort. Residual damage is always nice. The EVs look like they are used for walling... Well... Because this is used for walling. Maximum HP for maximum Wish passes, and high Special Defense to wall special attackers. Anyhow, the Speed and Special Defense EVs are standard for Jirachis. The Careful nature allows me to take more hits, and Leftovers add to my longevity.

---

Magnezone @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 36 HP | 252 SpA | 220 Spe
    IVs: 2 Atk | 30 Def
    Modest Nature [+SpA, -Atk]
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Hidden Power [Ice]
    ~ Thunder
    ~ Charge Beam

Magnezone is on the team because of my dislike for Pokemon such as Skarmory and Forretress. Basically, if I see one of the two, I make my opponent pay. Thunder is the best way to deal with Skarmory, because I don't want it to either set up more hazards while I set up a Substitute, or Whirlwind me out while I try the same thing. Charge Beam is for the Forretress who are not as gifted. It allows me to set up and boost my already-massive Special Attack. In a good match, I'll usually get 2-3 boosts and then try to take down the opponent from there. Magnezone is usually sacked when I defeat all the Steels on the opponent's team. Hidden Power [Ice] is a safety to ensure that my opponent will not try and let his or her Dragonite set up on me. Substitute protects me from attacks and their additional effects. It's great to be able to avoid status, also, it acts a defensive buffer for when the next Pokemon is sent out. The EVs were pulled straight from Smogon, and the nature allows me to hit as hard as I can. The IVs minimize confusion damage while preserving Speed and a 70 base power Hidden Power. Leftovers lets me regain health after setting up a Substitute, and is highly important to Magnezone.

Here is an importable; feel free to use the team if you'd like. I'm not too worried about seeing it on the ladder, as I have given up laddering.

Importable
    Code:
    Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Toxic
    - Ice Beam
    - Hydro Pump
    - Perish Song

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 224 SDef / 32 Spd
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Body Slam
    - Iron Head
    - Wish
    - Stealth Rock

Lucario (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Close Combat
    - Bullet Punch

Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Prankster
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - U-turn
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Focus Blast
    - Hurricane

Hydreigon (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Focus Blast
    - Surf

Magnezone @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 36 HP / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Thunder
    - Charge Beam
    Conclusion
    Thank you for taking the time to read through my team. The sprites and minimalist artwork are both from PLDH.net, and the origin of the name is a song by Stephen Walking, who may be the best dubstep / techno artist I have ever heard. I recommend that you listen to a few of his songs. Feel free to comment on the team. All help is appreciated!

Thanks!
    Changes in GREEN.

Last edited by Harsha on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:37 pm; edited 5 times in total
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Re: King of the Road (5th Gen OU)

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:43 pm

PLACEHOLDER.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:55 pm

Update!

I've replaced Magnezone with a standard Defensive Hitmontop. I'll edit the OP if / when I get time to. Thanks!
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by Kira Light on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:37 pm

I noticed you accidently put 3 Atk and 30 Def IVs for Magnezone. That gives Hidden Power [Dragon]. I am pretty sure you already know that 2 Atk and 30 Def IVs give Hidden Power [Ice], so I'll leave it a that. I'll rate this team soon, so look out for it.
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:36 pm

Yeah, I guess that was a typo. Thanks for the catch.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:39 am