The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Jaws (5th Gen UU)

harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Jaws (5th Gen UU)

Post by harsha on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:51 pm

Jaws
    A 5th Gen. UU RMT by Harsha

Hi guys. I've been wanting to post a new RMT for quite some time now, and I have decided to share my newest UU team. Why UU, you ask? I'm a frequent OU player, but I often test out other tiers to get the hang of them. I used to play UU a lot, and I've recently dipped back into the tier. One of the concepts I decided to bring into my team was the popular Volt-Turn combination that has taken over OU. Without Rotom-W, Landorus, and Scizor, I knew this team would be a challenge, but I am quite happy with the result.
    You can probably guess what most of the team does at this point. From what I have seen so far, the team functions very similarly to my regular teams in OU, just without weather. Though I really don’t have many changes in mind other than small moveset fixes, I appreciate all advice and promise to test all changes that seem reasonable. Now that I’m done with my rambling, let’s take a look at the team!

Under the Microscope

---

Mew @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 SpA | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
    IVs: 0 Atk
    Modest Nature [+SpA, -Atk]
    ~ Nasty Plot
    ~ Psyshock
    ~ Aura Sphere
    ~ Roost

After watching how effective Mew could be defensively, I decided to test out an offensive variant. If the opponent has no strong counters to Mew available, I will just lead with it. Nasty Plot skyrockets Mew’s already decent Special Attack, and if I predict the opponent’s switches, I can usually get a good sweep with my little pink friend. Aura Sphere is a reliable Fighting attack with a decent amount of power and no chance of missing—the ability to hit without fail is what sets Aura Sphere apart from Focus Miss. Also Psyshock is my obligatory STAB move that leaves a dent in pretty much any non Dark / Steel type after a Nasty Plot. Moo recommended that I try Roost over my previous Shadow Ball, and I have to say, it has worked wonders. Though I do miss the ability to hit Ghosts and Psychic types super effectively, Roost has more utility and lets me prolong my sweep. Also, against bulky Waters, Mew can effectively set up and regain HP to deal with later threats thanks to Roost. Leftovers adds to my longevity, and is a great item even if it doesn't add to my Special Attack like Life Orb. The EVs maximize Special Attack and Speed—the two important stats for Special sweepers not named Reuniclus. The IVs minimize Confusion damage. Also, the Modest Nature also helps maximize Special Attack. Synchronize is a cool ability, though I really hope it never has to get activated.

---

Flygon @ Choice Band
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 Atk | 4 SpD | 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature [+Atk, -SpA]
    ~ U-Turn
    ~ Outrage
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ Earthquake

Flygon, part one of my Volt-Turn core, has proven its worth. Its efficiency in breaking down walls has been shown multiple times in my battles. He functions similarly to Scizor in OU, though he has an arsenal of more powerful moves and higher Speed. His Attack isn’t as high, but this is UU, no? U-Turn is a no-brainer on this set, as it allows me to scout the opponent’s team effectively. Outrage is… Well, it’s OUTRAGEOUSLY powerful. I don’t use it until late game, though, because I don’t want to be locked into one move on the field with only 239 Speed. Stone Edge is to hit pesky Flying types, and it adds to my coverage. Earthquake is a great move that I usually use when faced with a threat. The EVs maximize my Physical prowess, and also give me a decent amount of Speed to work with. The Adamant Nature is also to help me take down most threats. Levitate is a great Ability because I can ignore the harmful effects of both Spikes and Toxic Spikes, and I also get plenty of opportunities to switch in on Earthquakes aimed at other members of my team. The Choice Band is to simply raise my Attack. I don’t see much to change on this set, as it gets the job done more often than not.

---

Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
    IVs: 2 Atk | 30 SpA
    ~ Volt Switch
    ~ Overheat
    ~ Hidden Power [Grass]
    ~ Trick

Rotom-H is the second Volt-Turner on this team. The ability to cripple Stall is amazing, considering the many defensive threats in UU. With Trick, most cannot switch Pokemon into Rotom-H with confidence because it is able to swap the opponent’s (usually) beneficial item out for a Choice Scarf. I can assure you, most defensive Pokemon do not want to be Choice locked into a move. Volt-Switch is obligatory because it allows me to scout effectively, just like U-Turn does for Flygon. Overheat is my STAB of choice because it offers immediate power, and Rotom-H doesn’t have access to any other Fire attacking moves anyways. Hidden Power [Grass] allows me to effectively deal with a lot of bulky Water threats, and often nabs handy 2HKOs. I did not use Thunderbolt because I'm not overly concerned with Substituting Water types, and also because Gyarados does not exist in UU. The Nature allows me to hit max SpA, and and EVs allow me to get high amounts of Speed and Special Attack as well. Choice Scarf is a given, as I want to be able to hit hard quickly and then switch out. Levitate is useful for avoiding Spikes and Earthquake and such. Rotom-H is arguably one of the most powerful members on this team, and that’s saying something!

---

Hitmontop @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SpD
    Impish Nature [+Def, -SpA]
    ~ Rapid Spin
    ~ Toxic
    ~ Sucker Punch
    ~ Close Combat

Though I was going to choose Dophan as a spinner, I realized he was OU. I don’t really regret his move, though, because Hitmontop has done so much for this team. It’s truly incredible. In fact, I recommend that all of you readers go out and try your own Hitmontop. With Intimidate, Hitmontop shrugs off all Physical hits. Close Combat is at his disposal, making him all the more fearsome. Sucker Punch is a check to Mismagius, who can harm the team. Toxic wears down walls, and is a great move to use when predicting a switch. Rapid Spin is a given. With a Volt-Turning core, hazards are never appreciated, and I need to make sure that the road is paved clear for Sharpedo to sweep. That’s why I use Rapid Spin. Leftovers add to Hitmontop’s already incredible survivability, and the EVs and Nature maximize Physical bulk. Thanks to Hitmontop’s base Special Defense, he is able to shrug off many Special Attacks as well. Overall, I can say with confidence that Hitmontop is the reason that this team has worked so well. I only have one change that I may implement on this set, though—should I use Bullet Punch over Sucker Punch? Both priority moves are useful, but I’m not sure which to use.

---

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk | 4 Def | 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature [+Atk, -SpA]
    ~ Waterfall
    ~ Crunch
    ~ Ice Fang
    ~ Protect

The “Jaws” themselves, Sharpedo is the team’s late game sweeper. After seeing him on several big name teams, namely “Shake It Up,” “Shattering the Bastion,” and “Fighting Recovery,” I decided that it was about time I used him on a team of my own design. I have never been disappointed. Protect allows me to nab a +1 Speed boost before the opponent can hit me. After I get the boost, I just sweep with the appropriate move. Waterfall and Crunch both have 80 Base Power, and each gets STAB. I use them to nail the opponent with high-powered moves and this little shark nabs many surprising OHKOs. Ice Fang is for coverage, though if I am convinced, I may switch to Earthquake. Adamant Nature and the EVs maximize my Physical Attack and Speed. The Life Orb just lets me hit even harder, and it will not be replaced. Seriously, this dude is a force to be reckoned with. Even with its RU status, I have never used a sweeper other than Blaziken with this much raw power and the ability to boost Speed. I really do not understand why he is used so little; Sharpedo has the ability to decimate even most OU teams. I've seen Sharpedo take out Skarmorys single-handedly, and he is even more powerful under Rain, so don't doubt its power. Beware. Also, thank you Agamemnon for introducing this major threat to the meta game.

---

Magneton @ Eviolite
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 96 HP | 252 SpA | 160 Spe
    IVs: 3 Atk | 30 Spe
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Charge Beam
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Hidden Power [Fire]

Magneton is my immediate answer to most Steels who threaten my Sharpedo sweep. Magnet Pull ensures that they won’t be able to escape unless they have a Shed Shell or a Volt-Turn move. I usually set up a Substitute and then proceed to boost my Special Attack with Charge Beam. When I find that the amount of Special Attack is adequate, I will then use Thunderbolt or Hidden Power [Ice] to get rid of the threat while hopefully maintaining my Sub. With the Steel problems out of the way, I can abuse my Special Attack boosts and then sac Magneton when I feel like it. Hidden Power [Ice] decimates Flygon on the switch, so I need to thank Gabranth for that. After clearing the field and sacking Magneton, Sharpedo can be brought out onto the field to sweep. The EVs are standard, and the Nature allows me hit hard. Eviolite multiplies Magneton’s decent defenses by 1.5, though it costs me recovery. This is no problem due to the power that it has, though.

Here is an importable, if you would like to take my team out for a spin. Please credit me if you use it, though. I worked hard!
    Code:
     Mew @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Nasty Plot
    - Psyshock
    - Aura Sphere
    - Roost

Flygon (F) @ Choice Band
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - U-turn
    - Earthquake
    - Outrage
    - Stone Edge

Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Overheat
    - Volt Switch
    - Hidden Power [Grass]
    - Trick

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Close Combat
    - Toxic
    - Sucker Punch

Sharpedo (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Protect
    - Waterfall
    - Crunch
    - Ice Fang

Magneton @ Eviolite
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 96 HP / 252 SAtk / 160 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Charge Beam
    - Thunderbolt

Conclusion

Now, some people have approached me and asked whether the loss of hazards is anything to be weary of on this team. My team does not need hazards, because the pressure provided by Rotom-H and Flygon should be enough to keep the opponent on his or her heels. Anyhow, the ability to spin away hazards is more important than hazards themselves on this team. Remember, the goal is a Sharpedo sweep, and my offensive pressure should allow that to happen. Since opposing Volt-Turn teams are not very common in UU, I really do not have problems due to the lack of hazards and maintaining my pressure. Anyways, thank you all for taking the time to read through my team! Feel free to rate and comment. I appreciate anything you have to say. Thanks again!

Last edited by Harsha on Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
    Crossfire12
    Server Administrator
    Server Administrator

The world

Re: Jaws (5th Gen UU)

Post by Crossfire12 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Okay I don't play UU often cuz RU and OU are the only tiers I do play but I still have something to say

Mew is used to stop stall you have turn that into a into something new,
    Leftovers might help if you wanna save mew for later.

Flygon not the fastest pokemon but then get the job, I don't have much to say about rotom-H it seem to be the Rotom-W
    of UU.

Hitmontop is fine but maybe mach punch though ghost types, psychic types can wall you, I have to say Sucker punch just because
    if Hit does go down at least he can get a hit off plus Bullet punch is much weaker.

Sharpedo is fine just wondering if you tried out a mixed set out?

and Magneton remind me of rick's Magnezone set..... yeah I have nothing to say about that all I know is once
    he has +6 it's petty much gg if you don't have a counter for it

Well that's about it I'm sure gonogo and Rick will think of pokemon your team is weak too since UU not my strong point
    Very good team I can't wait to see more.

harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:00 pm

Thank you for the rate, Vol. At the moment, I think I'll keep Sucker Punch like you said. Also, I really like the raw power of the Physical set, so I won't change it. Right now, there aren't many Pokemon I'm worried about other than Bulky Waters. I'm currently testing Leftovers and Recover over Life Orb and Shadow Ball, though. Thanks again!
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by Kira Light on Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:12 pm

I suggest Mew set that carries Stealth Rock, since it's a great entry hazard move that adds offensive pressure to your opponent. I think Shadow Ball could be removed and replaced by Stealth Rock.

Mew @ Life Orb
    IVs: 0 Atk
    ~ Nasty Plot
    ~ Psyshock
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Aura Sphere

Anyways, I'm not that good in UU and it's been quite a while I have not played in that tier, so my advice might seem off. Your team is very solid and it could very well peak at 1st on the Smogon server if you laddered a lot. Well done and good luck!
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:16 pm

Hey, thanks for the rate! I should update this thread soon. Anyhow, I don't carry hazards because I don't need them.
    ... What did he say?
    That's right, I don't. My team relies heavily on the power of most of my Pokemon to set up a late game sweep for Sharpedo, and the ability to Spin hazards away is more important than the ability to lay them for me. Also, I am using Roost over Shadow Ball with Lefties, and I find that the ability to heal is greatly appreciated. Anyhow, thanks a bunch for the rate!
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:36 pm

Bump. It seems that people are already trying out the team on Smogon--ran into someone with my team on the server. Thank god he didn't know how to use it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:45 pm