The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Clowns & Jell-O

harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Clowns & Jell-O

Post by harsha on Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:59 pm

Clowns & Jell-O

Hey guys! It's been a while since I wrote my last RMT, so forgive any mistakes you see. This team arose from my desire to create a working team with Sand and a Volt-Turn core. I know it still has flaws, but I hope that y'all can help me work them out!
    To be fair, most of my teams try and incorporate an uncommon Pokemon or set; however, that is not the case with my new team. All of the Pokemon are pretty common in the current OU meta game, and I apologize if that upsets you in any way. I have a glaring weakness to Scizor and most Grass moves, and without a Grass resist, I am not sure who to replace. I'm currently testing Celebi over Gastrodon, but we'll see. Anyhow, time to unveil the team!

Under the Microscope

---

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP | 4 Atk | 252 SDef
    Adamant Nature [+Atk, -SAtk]
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ Crunch
    ~ Pursuit
    ~ Stealth Rock

You should all know what purpose Tyranitar serves on my team; he reliably sets up my Sandstorm and lays Stealth Rock on the field. Stealth Rock is very important because it allows me to gain kills I would not get otherwise; notably these kills include a 2HKO on Chansey from Reuniclus. Also, Sandstorm powers up Landorus, who has the ability Sand Force. Sandstorm only damages Rotom-W and Conkledurr, so it isn't a hassle for my team. However, if the opponent has few Rock / Steel / Ground types, it hurts them a lot. For the set, the EVs maximize Special Bulk so that I can absorb Water attacks from Rain teams or Draco Meteors from Latios. Stone Edge hits Pokemon such as Dragonite hard, and gets 150 Base Power when one factors STAB in. Pursuit is for fleeing Lati Twins and also gets STAB. Crunch, the last move on the set, also gets STAB, and is used when Stone Edge is not very effective. The set gets its job done, which is really all I need from Tyranitar.

---

Landorus @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Sand Force
    EVs: 252 Atk | 4 SDef | 252 Spe
    ~ U-turn
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Stone Edge
    ~ Hammer Arm

Landorus is part one of my Volt-Turning combo. This is a fairly common Landorus set that I have quickly fallen in love with. The Scarf bumps Landorus up to over 450 Speed, which is fairly fast. U-Turn is for opposing Celebis that want to set up and harm my team. It also allows me to preserve momentum, which is important when regarding offensive teams. Stone Edge and Hammer Arm provide coverage against Flying and Steel types who hopefully can't harm me too much. The Adamant Nature, in conjunction with maxed Attack EVs, maximize my fire power, while Sand Force also is very helpful. STAB Earthquake, Sand Force, and max Attack all make Earthquake a very powerful attacking option, and one can never ignore this enormous powerhouse. I do have to watch for Levitating foes, but that's just a play style issue. Like I said earlier, I am in love with this set!

---

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 8 HP | 252 SAtk | 248 Spe
    IVs: 0 Atk
    Modest Nature [+SAtk, -Atk]
    ~ Volt Switch
    ~ Hydro Pump
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Hidden Power [Ice]

Rotom-W is my second Volt-Turner, and is just as useful as the first. I run 8 HP Evs and 248 Speed because it allows me to be outsped by opposing Rotom-Ws with max Speed; that means I preserve momentum when Volt Switching. The Modest Nature lets me hit hard, and helps me get rid of key threats like Scizor. Hydro Pump deals major damage because of STAB, and if the opponent gets Rain up, they soon regret allowing me to lose my weather. Thunderbolt does not add extra coverage, but it allows me to beat the SubBounceDos set that has become more and more common. Hidden Power [Ice] could be replaced with Trick, but I won't switch it. It allows me to beat Salamence and Dragonite, and gives me pseudo BoltBeam coverage. My Volt-Turning core will not be changed because I have grown quite fond of it, and Rotom-W and Landorus work very well together.

---

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
    Trait: Guts
    EVs: 120 HP | 252 Atk | 136 SDef
    IVs: 0 Spe
    ~ Bulk Up
    ~ Drain Punch
    ~ Mach Punch
    ~ Payback

Conkledurr deals out a lot of the teams damage, and is pretty self-explanatory, as Conkledurr used to be very widely used. Though it is not what it once was, the standard Bulk Up Conkledurr is very effective. Bulk Up lets me set up while I take less and less damage from Physical hits. Conkledurr is very important in my defense against Scizor who can wreak havoc otherwise, so I play him conservatively. Drain Punch lets me heal so that I can shrug off any damage taken during set up, and Mach Punch lets me take down weakened foes. Payback is for Psychic and Ghost types who could give me trouble otherwise, though it is not used to often. The EVs are standard fare, and allow me to gain both Special and Physical bulk while retaining max Attack. The 0 Speed IVs let me be very fast in Trick Room, while they also aid in Payback's case. Conkledurr is used in tandem with Reuniclus, and the Jelly and Clown duo works out very well.

---

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
    Trait: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP | 4 Def | 252 SAtk
    IVs: 0 Atk | 0 Spe
    Quiet Nature [+SAtk, -Spe]
    ~ Trick Room
    ~ Recover
    ~ Psyshock
    ~ Focus Blast

Reuniclus is one of my main Pokemon on this team, and with Trick Room, he is also the fastest. I play Reuniclus in tandem with Conkledurr, as both share very low Speed stats. I believe that Reuniclus's EVs are standard for Trick Room offensive variants, but I'll explain just in case; I basically maxed out Special Attack in order to hit as hard as I can, while maxing out HP in order to give me a lot of Bulk. The IVs are so that I can be the fastest I possibly can in Trick Room, and my -Spe Nature assures that as well. Psyshock is my primary move and as you all know, it hits for Physical damage. This serves me well for Chanseys that switch in, as they receive Stealth Rock damage, and then get a blast of Psyshock to follow. Focus Blast is for Ferrothorns and such, and is standard on Reuniclus. Magic Guard allows me to switch in without taxing my HP, and is very useful for absorbing Poison and Burn. I use a Life Orb instead of Leftovers because I already have reliable recovery in Recover, and the Life Orb adds more power without losing health, due to Magic Guard. Reuniclus is a great addition to this team, and I love what he can do to opposition.

---

Gastrodon-East @ Leftovers
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP | 4 SAtk | 252 SDef
    IVs: 0 Atk
    Calm Nature [+SDef, -Atk]
    ~ Recover
    ~ Toxic
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Scald

Gastrodon is my best counter to opposing Rain teams, as he takes Water moves with ease and shrugs off 100% accurate Thunders. Most notably, unless a Rotom-W carries Trick, Gastrodon makes short work of it. Also, Gastrodon appreciates Water moves aimed at it, because Storm Drain allows it to gain a free +1 Special Attack boost. Scald is used against Physical attackers, such as Lucario and Scizor, who come in and try to set up. If I get the Burn, they are rendered nearly useless. Even without the Burn, Scald does a good amount of damage. Ice Beam allows me to hit Dragonite and Salamence hard, and does a number to Gliscor as well. The EVs are standard, and maximize the amount of Special Attacks that I can take. Recover lets me take in Draco Meteors and gain my health back, annoying many Latios and Hydreigon users. Toxic is for opposing walls that I need to weaken, and serves a great purpose. I am considering replacing this guy with a Celebi because I need a Grass resist, though. Tell me what you think.

Here's an importable:
    Code:
    Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
     Trait: Sand Stream
     EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
     Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
     - Stone Edge
     - Crunch
     - Pursuit
     - Stealth Rock

Landorus (M) @ Choice Scarf
     Trait: Sand Force
     EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
     - U-turn
     - Earthquake
     - Stone Edge
     - Hammer Arm

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
     Trait: Levitate
     EVs: 8 HP / 252 SAtk / 248 Spd
     Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
     - Volt Switch
     - Hydro Pump
     - Thunderbolt
     - Hidden Power [Ice]

Conkeldurr (M) @ Leftovers
     Trait: Guts
     EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SDef
     - Bulk Up
     - Drain Punch
     - Mach Punch
     - Payback

Reuniclus (M) @ Life Orb
     Trait: Magic Guard
     EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
     Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
     - Trick Room
     - Recover
     - Psyshock
     - Focus Blast

Gastrodon-Ea (Gastrodon-East) (M) @ Leftovers
     Trait: Storm Drain
     EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
     Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
     - Recover
     - Toxic
     - Ice Beam
     - Scald
    Well guys, that's the team! Thanks for taking the time to read it! Any and all rates will be taken into account, and I appreciate what you have to say!
    Crossfire12
    Server Administrator
    Server Administrator

The world

Re: Clowns & Jell-O

Post by Crossfire12 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:25 am

EDIT:As we all know Tyranitar is 4x weak to fighting I see you have conk, land and Reuniclus to cover that up and win any weather wars with other weather teams.
    Not much to say SR and spikes may become a problem if you don't get rid of the pokemon setting up fast. Gastrodon-East gives problems to rain teams without a grass user but since most of them have ferro if you don't get that burn on it, it will be a problem to your team due to leech seed or T-wave cuz really who wants para hax in battle still you could use it to help out conk due to guts.
    Celebi can't really help much with steel types unless it has HP fire but it's a great pokemon to have if you want a grass resits the only pokemon I can think of is skarmory or ferro however that's your choice to make.

Overall I really like your team Very Happy

I will edit this post if needed

Last edited by vol60 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:40 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to add something)
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:23 pm

Rick wrote:Seeing that you've chosen to use Psyshock, how would you deal with Blue_Star's Bulk Up Breloom? I noticed that it can set up on top of all of your team (bar Reuniclus) and deal out plenty of damage to your team before being forced out by Reuniclus. In fact, a Bulk Up Breloom at +1 can deal 48.11% - 56.84% to your Reuniclus with your current spread, meaning that if it's lucky enough, then it can even break through your means to counter it. However, should your Reuniclus have an EV spread of 164 HP / 92 Def / 252 SpA, then that same Breloom will do a mere 45.52% - 53.73% to it. That's 3%, and that 3% can make a world of difference. It lessens the chance of being 2HKOed and gives you a fighting chance against it. It's to that extent that I'd recommend Psychic over Psyshock. You have Conkeldurr, Tyranitar, and Landorus to deal with the blobs.

The common Volt-Turning core of Scizor and Rotom-W also might give you some trouble. I'd recommend a Bulk Up Breloom of your own, but it seems clear to me that you don't plan on switching Conkeldurr out any time soon. It's small, but I'd recommend Earthquake on your Gastrodon over either Scald or Ice Beam. Very nice team overall.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2
    Tõx
    Server Administrator
    Server Administrator

So did I. <3
    Looking for my Tv.

Post by Tõx on Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:15 pm

Would you consider Cradily>Gastrodon?
    I know that its typing holds it back,in this metagame filled whit Fighting types,but it could be a great asset to your team,still being able to deal with rain teams (thanks to Storm Drain and Grass typing) and giving a good special wall under Sandstorm.
    But you exchange a x4 grass weakness to a x2 to fighting,ice,steel and bug.
    In pratical terms you wouldn't be able to check Scizor whit Cradily,so if picking it,consider the possibility to run WoW on Rotom,or something.
    You can even consider to stick SR on it and save one of Tar slots
    Spoiler:
    May I ask the origin of the team's name?
    I hope I haven't said anything stupid.
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:39 pm

Hey guys! Alright, time to respond.

vol60 wrote:EDIT:As we all know Tyranitar is 4x weak to fighting I see you have conk, land and Reuniclus to cover that up and win any weather wars with other weather teams.
    Not much to say SR and spikes may become a problem if you don't get rid of the pokemon setting up fast. Gastrodon-East gives problems to rain teams without a grass user but since most of them have ferro if you don't get that burn on it, it will be a problem to your team due to leech seed or T-wave cuz really who wants para hax in battle still you could use it to help out conk due to guts.
    Celebi can't really help much with steel types unless it has HP fire but it's a great pokemon to have if you want a grass resits the only pokemon I can think of is skarmory or ferro however that's your choice to make.

Overall I really like your team Very Happy

I will edit this post if needed
    Thanks! I was thinking of using a Nasty Plot + HP [Fire] Celebi to deal with Ferrothorn, but the team seems to be working fine with Gastrodon.

Rick wrote:Seeing that you've chosen to use Psyshock, how would you deal with Blue_Star's Bulk Up Breloom? I noticed that it can set up on top of all of your team (bar Reuniclus) and deal out plenty of damage to your team before being forced out by Reuniclus. In fact, a Bulk Up Breloom at +1 can deal 48.11% - 56.84% to your Reuniclus with your current spread, meaning that if it's lucky enough, then it can even break through your means to counter it. However, should your Reuniclus have an EV spread of 164 HP / 92 Def / 252 SpA, then that same Breloom will do a mere 45.52% - 53.73% to it. That's 3%, and that 3% can make a world of difference. It lessens the chance of being 2HKOed and gives you a fighting chance against it. It's to that extent that I'd recommend Psychic over Psyshock. You have Conkeldurr, Tyranitar, and Landorus to deal with the blobs.

The common Volt-Turning core of Scizor and Rotom-W also might give you some trouble. I'd recommend a Bulk Up Breloom of your own, but it seems clear to me that you don't plan on switching Conkeldurr out any time soon. It's small, but I'd recommend Earthquake on your Gastrodon over either Scald or Ice Beam. Very nice team overall.
    Thanks, Rick! I think the only reason I've ever had blob related problems have been due to my rather liberal play-style, so I'll consider Psychic and test it out. Volt-Turning combos with Scizor have been tricky, but with proper prediction, I can usually beat them. Thanks again! I'll take your suggestions into account.

Tõx wrote:Would you consider Cradily>Gastrodon?
    I know that its typing holds it back,in this metagame filled whit Fighting types,but it could be a great asset to your team,still being able to deal with rain teams (thanks to Storm Drain and Grass typing) and giving a good special wall under Sandstorm.
    But you exchange a x4 grass weakness to a x2 to fighting,ice,steel and bug.
    In pratical terms you wouldn't be able to check Scizor whit Cradily,so if picking it,consider the possibility to run WoW on Rotom,or something.
    You can even consider to stick SR on it and save one of Tar slots

Spoiler:
    May I ask the origin of the team's name?

I hope I haven't said anything stupid.
    You know what, it's interesting; someone recommended Cradily to me yesterday, and I really gave it a hard thought. But you're right, I couldn't check Scizor with a Cradily, so I decided not to use it. It would force me to change a lot of my team, so I think I'm going to stick with Gastrodon. The origin of the name? Well, that's a funny story too. I couldn't think of a witty name, so I realized that my team consisted of two ridiculous things, a clown [Conkledurr] and Jell-O [Reuniclus]. Thus, the name came to mind.

Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by Kira Light on Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:39 pm

might cause you problems if you don't have Rotom-W anymore. It can Taunt the slow Gastrodon before getting poisoned, then Toxic Gastrodon and stall it. Jellicent can also outspeed Tyranitar with 12 Spe EVs, since T-Tar has no Speed invested, thus being able to land a Will-O-Wisp which will cripple Tyranitar. As for Landorus, he can't OHKO Jellicent, and he will then get burnt. Conkeldurr will be able to take care of Jellicent, but, then again, the Burn will be taking a toll, adding damage each turn.
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:02 pm

Well, I won't replace Rotom-W. Jellicent doesn't usually do much to my team because I can usually play around it. Also, do you mind placing a [spoiler] tag around your signature? It's giant...
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:44 pm

Personally, I'd go with Gastrodon over Cradily. More to be posted here.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:41 am