The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Eternal Rain (5th Gen OU RMT)

Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Eternal Rain (5th Gen OU RMT)

Post by Kira Light on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:09 pm

Eternal Rain

A couple of weeks ago, after watching a Tornadus sweep, I felt the urge to make a new Rain Team based on abusing Tornadus, the deadliest Rain Sweeper. So, this is the final product.

Team at Glance:

Politoed (F) @
    Ability: Drizzle
    EVs: 252 HP | 252 SAtk | 4 SDef
    Modest Nature (-Atk, +SAtk)
    ~ Hydro Pump
    ~ Hidden Power (Grass)
    ~ Ice Beam
    ~ Focus Blast

Politoed is my rain-setter. Its ability, Drizzle, will assure rain on my side for the whole match, unless Ninetales / Tyranitar show up. This Politoed is a more bulkier sweeper, with 252 EVs in both HP and SAtk. Modest Nature gives me a boost in power. Hydro Pump is my main STAB, and does really good damage, especially with the Rain boost and the Choice Specs. Hidden Power (Grass) is solely for Gastrodon / Quagsire / Jellicent, who could cause problem for my whole team, if not dealt with correctly. Focus Blast goes in the last slot, to OHKO Cloysters without a Focus Sash.

Synergy:

Dragonite, Scizor, Ferrothorn
    Dragonite, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Tornadus

[center]Any changes considered:

- Perish Song over Hidden Power (Grass) to effectively deal with Baton Passing teams. (Thanks Harsha!)

Vaporeon @
    Ability: Hydration
    EVs: 4 Def | 252 HP | 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (-Atk, +SDef)
    ~ Rest
    ~ Scald
    ~ Toxic
    ~ Hidden Power (Grass)

Vaporeon is one of the best Special walls in the game, especially in Rain. It can Rest spam all day, with Hydration healing status. The only way to take this guy down is by damaging it. Its utility to my team is great. Anyways, Scald gets boosted by STAB and Rain, and also has a 30% chance of burn, which is great to deal with late game physical sweepers. Toxic cripples other pokemon, whilst Hidden Power Grass is for Gastrodon and Jellicent.

Synergy:

Dragonite, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Tornadus

Tornadus @
    Ability: Prankster
    EVs: 4 HP | 252 SAtk | 252 SpD
    IVs: 30 SpD
    Timid Nature (-Atk, +SpD)
    ~ Hurricane
    ~ Grass Knot
    ~ Hidden Power (Ice)
    ~ Focus Blast

Tornadus is my main sweeper. Specs STAB Hurricane is deadly in Rain, and can 2HKO or OHKO anything that doesn't resist it. It even 2HKOs physically defensive Skarmory. Grass Knot is there for Gastrodon / Quagsire / Jellicent, whilst Hidden Power (Ice) is for extra coverage for mostly Gliscor and Landorus. Focus Blast is in my last slot to hit more pokemon. However, I rarely have to turn to moves other than Hurricane.

Synergy:

Scizor, Ferrothorn, Vaporeon, Politoed

Scizor @
    Ability: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP | 252 Atk | 8 SpD
    Adamant Nature (-SAtk, +Atk)
    ~ Bullet Punch
    ~ U-Turn
    ~ Superpower
    ~ Pursuit

Scizor was the most used pokemon on the Smogon server in November, and for good reasons. Its verstility is great, and it does even better in Rain, when it can live a Fire hit. Bullet Punch gets boosted by Technician, gets STAB and priority. It is used as a late-game sweeper. U-Turn is for scouting and to gain momentum, whilst Superpower is used to deal with Ferrothorn. Pursuit is for the fleeing Reuniclus / Latios / Latias.

Synergy:

Politoed, Vaporeon, Dragonite

Ferrothorn @
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 4 SDef | 252 HP | 252 Def
    Impish Nature (-SAtk, +Def)
    ~ Power Whip
    ~ Leech Seed
    ~ Thunder Wave
    ~ Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn is my physical wall on this team. It can take any physical attack. The EVs are used for a more defensive variant of Ferrothorn, since Vaporeon is there to take Special hits. Power Whip is my main STAB move which I must rely on to avoid being Taunt bait. Leech Seed deals damage and recovers my HP, which is great. Thunder Wave is to ruin Scarfed pokemon to help Tornadus with its sweeping job. Stealth Rock is the entry hazard to hurt U-Turn spammers.

Synergy:

Politoed, Vaporeon, Dragonite
    Tornadus, Dragonite

Dragonite @
    Ability: Multiscale
    EVs: 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 SpD
    IVs: 0 SAtk
    Adamant Nature (-SAtk, +Atk)
    ~ Dragon Dance
    ~ Outrage
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Roost

Dragonite is a late-game sweeper, and also a wall-breaker. Multiscale lets me take any hit, assuming I'm at full health. Dragon Dance is used to boost my Attack and Speed to sweep. Outrage is a powerful move boosted by STAB. Lum Berry is used to heal off confusion damage. The IV is to minimize confusion damage. Earthquake is for Steels, notably Magnezone. Roost heals me back to a range where Multiscale will have to be re-broken.

Synergy:

Politoed, Vaporeon, Scizor, Ferrothorn
    Scizor, Ferrothorn

Last edited by Matsuda on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:59 pm; edited 17 times in total
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Re: Eternal Rain (5th Gen OU RMT)

Post by harsha on Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Gonogo, I have a few a few suggestions from looking at this team right off the bat. That Dragonite is a Physical variant; you MUST use 31 Atk IVs. Confusion damage is situational and the 0 IVs is pointless. Also, watch out for Ferrothorn while using him. Now, your two main sweepers are both weak to Stealth Rock, so I would suggest you use a Volt Switching Forretress. That way you have Rapid Spin support and retain your ability to lay hazards. Scizor is perfect, but you could try out U-Turn on your Tornadus to preserve momentum, as you won't be using Grass Knot too often. You might try out Perish Song instead of Focus Blast or Hidden Power [Grass] to allow you to stop Baton Pass teams. Nice team overall, and I'll come back and add more to this rate later. Good luck!
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by Kira Light on Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:31 pm

Thanks for the tips, Harsha! I'll try them out soon. As for the IVs, I put the 0 Atk by mistake. I meant 0 SAtk IVs, since no special moves are used on this set.
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:18 am

First off, having 0 Special Attack IVs is pointless, because confusion damage is derived from the Attack stat. Also, your team will have trouble against SD Lucario. The only thing I can do to aid your weakness against it is to make Vaporeon a physically defensive variant, which most likely can live through a Close Combat and KO with Scald (after the defense drops, that is). I also am seconding Harsha's recommendation of Perish Song on Politoed, but I'd place it over Focus Blast, seeing that Scizor and Tornadus can deal with Ferrothorn easily enough. Also, please note proper stat notation:

Code:
    Hit Points: HP

Attack: Atk

Defense: Def

Special Attack: SpA, SpAtk, or SAtk

Special Defense: SpD, SpDef, or SDef

Speed: Spe, Spd (use the latter only if you're not denotating Special Defense with SpD)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:34 am