The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Shattering the Bastion [5th Gen. Wifi OU]

Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Shattering the Bastion [5th Gen. Wifi OU]

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:04 am

Shattering The Bastion
    An OU RMT by Rick

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Introduction

With the banning of Excadrill and Thundurus, both of whom held the metagame in an iron fist, the metagame obtained something it didn't have for a long time: diversity. More sun teams started to pop up out of their holes, not missing Thundurus's priority paralysis and Excadrill's sweeping prowess. Rain teams took a hard hit with the loss of arguably their best sweeper (after the gimp they suffered from Aldaron's Proposal) and sand offense lost their best sweeper; sand stall teams lost a potent spinner / cleaner in the process. As a result, hyper and heavy offense, once held down by the two banned suspects, flourished once more. Some Pokemon, like Sharpedo, once held down with the threat of those two, run around freely. With my prior knowledge of hyper offense and how potent it is in today's metagame, I decided once more to run it, seeing that Excadrill wouldn't be there to ruin my battles.

Please note that unlike all of the other teams I've posted here, this team is far more prediction-reliant than the rest. This leaves me very strapped for options and very critical regarding any changes that might be suggested, seeing that each team member plays a specific role for the team's success. I'll take your advice gladly, but think before making a suggestion. Read the explanations given. With that out of the way, let's move on.

Team Building

:|__~_*Team Building*_~__|:

Sharpedo was one of those Pokemon that had everything it needed to be a success in OU, but wasn't used because of its counters in OU being nearly ubiquitous. Now, with two of them banned, the only problems Sharpedo needed to concern itself with are priority and physical walls that can take hits from it and retaliate savagely, like Ferrothorn and Skarmory.

To solve the more pressing matter, walls that fit the above category, I decided to pack along Magnezone, to trap, set up, and defeat them. Its SubCharge set proved miraculous, often netting two KOs per game, helping to pave the way for Sharpedo to sweep. However, I knew I was far from done. I had yet to figure out how to deal with the main priority that Sharpedo was weak to: Mach Punch. I also needed a reliable way to beat down ExtremeSpeed Dragonite, another ferocious priority attacker.

While Tornadus might not seem the logical choice without using Politoed, it's worked out for the most part. Sun teams are afraid to face Tornadus down with its powerful STAB attacks, especially on both sides of the spectrum. I've chosen to go with a much less conventional set that deals beautifully with Conkeldurr and its own conventional counters, some of which can put a stop to Sharpedo's sweep. With this much offense down, I figured that entry hazards were a natural fit for this team. I also figured out a way to give rain stall users (specifically, those that stole M_Dragon's team) trouble.

With the knowledge that entry hazards were needed, I wanted to use Deoxys-S, given its speed and excellent support movepool (thanks Deoxys-D!).The ease at which hazards can be set and the pressure that is immediately placed on my opponent's team helps set the fevered tempo of the team. While it often feels like I'm battling with 5 Pokemon, it plays a crucial role against rain stall teams, which will be explained later.

With the hazards flying around and Magnezone to help, I decided to use Dragonite, witnessing its efficiency several times before. Sun and rain have a terrible time against it, and sand can often feel pressured to deal with its powerful attacks, when coupled with hazards. Multiscale lets it beat down walls comparatively easier than most other Banded Pokemon. Despite Dragonite being powerful, I discovered that, to my discontent, my team was weak to Terrakion, who could come in easily on my team and start attacking. I decided to pack another counter for it.

Scizor gives Terrakion the scares with its massively powerful Bullet Punch and Superpower. U-turn allows it to gain and / or regain momentum for the team, giving it a dual purpose as both a revenger and scout for the team. With the addition of Scizor, I felt that the team was complete, seeing that it held crucial resistances for the team and played several key roles.

Importable

Team At A Glance

The Team in Detail

Deoxys-Vit

Genderless | Expert Belt | Pressure
    252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    | 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)

~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Spikes
    ~ Psycho Boost
    ~ Hidden Power Fire

Entry hazards are the first order of business when using Deoxys-S. They help facilitate the breaking down of counters and Sturdy, ultimately helping Sharpedo and the rest of the team sweep through the opposition. I'll lead with Deoxys-S if I figure that I'll need hazard support early on in the game. As I mentioned earlier, Deoxys-S is a key proponent for helping defeat rain stall. With the given moveset and EVs, Deoxys-S can defeat Tentacruel, a common switch-in to Deoxys-S, hoping to Spin away the hazards laid, with Psycho Boost, which OHKOs all Tentacruel, regardless of EVs. Stealth Rock and Spikes are Deoxys-S's main cause for being on the team, turning some 2HKOs to OHKOs. Hidden Power Fire allows Deoxys-S to act as a lure for Scizor, often OHKOing it and ruining VoltTurning teams. Psycho Boost was delineated earlier. The EVs are standard fare and the IVs let me have a base 70 Hidden Power Fire while minimizing confusion damage.

Magnézone

Genderless | Leftovers | Magnet Pull
    36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
    | 2 Atk / 30 Def
    Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)

~ Substitute
    ~ Thunderbolt
    ~ Charge Beam

~ Hidden Power Ice

Besides providing perfect type synergy with Dragonite, Magnezone is charged with the elimination of several would-be counters to Sharpedo. Its SubCharge set often lets it rack 2 KOs per battle, seeing that it can set up to +3 under ideal conditions, and often when fighting Ferrothorn. From there, after KOing the Steel, it emerges with a Sub and boosts in Special Attack. With those boosts, it can often KO the next Pokemon that attempts to break the Sub. Should the sub be broken, I'll sac Magnezone as death fodder unless I can use it to deal with another troublesome threat on his / her team. If the Sub isn't broken, then I'll KO, rinse, and repeat. Substitute is Magnezone's reason for success. Charge Beam is Magnezone's key for a pseudo-sweep. Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Ice gain Magnezone nearly perfect neutral coverage, and are all potent attacks, especially when boosted. EVs are standard and the IVs serve the same purpose as Deoxys-S's, except that they give Mag an Ice-type Hidden Power.

Dracolosse

Female | Choice Band | Multiscale
    252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)

~ Outrage
    ~ ExtremeSpeed
    ~ Fire Punch
    ~ Earthquake

Dragonite is this team's primary wallbreaker. It puts an insane amount of pressure on my opponent to bring something in that can tank its hits. I then can take advantage of how they will play their team through and proceed to wreak havoc on them. With the amount of switches it causes, Multiscale helps it take hits that would normally stop its rampage. Rain and Sun offense usually are hard-pressed to deal with it, seeing that it carries all the resists it needs on its person. Outrage is sheer power when STAB is factored in, giving it the ability to strain physical walls, even if they resist it. ExtremeSpeed is very powerful priority coming off of Dragonite's excellent base 134 base Attack stat. Fire Punch wrecks Ferrothorn should it attempt to switch in on Fire Punch. Earthquake was used over Dragon Claw to take Heatran, a troubling threat otherwise, down. The EVs are standard, with the last 4 EVs in Defense to reduce Stealth Rock damage.

Boréas

Male | Flight Gem | Prankster
    252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SpA)
    ~ Acrobatics
    ~ Brick Break
    ~ Bulk Up

~ Substitute

No one expects the physical Tornadus. Opponents tend to switch their Chansey and Blissey in, hoping to take a weak Hurricane, taking a Flight Gem-boosted Acrobatics to the face, weakening them into the KO range for the next Brick Break or Acrobatics. I found this set after using the SubSD Gliscor in sand, and I figured that Tornadus was faster and stronger, so I used it instead. Acrobatics with a Flight Gem is sheer power, while Brick Break provides obligatory coverage, only being resisted by Rotom. Bulk Up is there in case I can set up, further assisting Tornadus in powering through its opposition. Substitute is used to protect against status and revenge killers. The EVs maximize power and speed, with the last 4 EVs being placed in Defense rather than HP, helping round down Stealth Rock damage.

Cizayox

Female | Choice Band | Technician
    248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd

~ Bullet Punch
    ~ U-turn
    ~ Pursuit
    ~ Superpower

Revenge killer, momentum grabber, and wallbreaker extraordinaire. That practically describes Scizor's occupation on my team. Its powerful priority attacks give many types of teams trouble. Offense lacking Magnezone fears its powerful Bullet Punches while stall hates U-turn. Pursuit makes the Psychics paranoid. Superpower is used when I see a Magnezone on my opponent's team because of Scizor's tendency to lure Magnezone in, attempting to trap it. However, I'll U-turn the first turn Scizor is out to see how my opponent reacts to it, and from there, I move accordingly. While its description makes it seem like I play it haphazardly, I tend to be very careful with it, seeing that it's my main Dragon resist and Terrakion killer. The moves are all critical for its purpose, so those won't change. The EVs are the generic CBZor EVs, but I'm considering adding a slight amount of Speed to outpace other Scizor.

Sharpedo

Female | Life Orb | Speed Boost
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd

~ Protect
    ~ Waterfall
    ~ Crunch
    ~ Ice Fang

The main man; the big kahuna. Sharpedo is king. When its few counters are gone, then it's GG from there on out. The power behind its physical set is plenty, and Speed Boost ensures that Sharpedo cannot be outsped and revenge-KOed easily. If I find that my opponent is 6-0ed by Sharpedo without effort, then I'll lead with it. In the end-game, when hazard damage has accrued on my opponent's Pokemon, they become easy pickings, and with Life Orb, that power is further ramped up. Protect lets me stack Speed Boosts, while Waterfall and Crunch serve as powerful STAB. Ice Fang lets me nail Salamence, non-CBNite, and the VERY rare Flygon. The EVs are standard. I also will not change this set unless you give me a very good reason to.

One Last Glance at the Team

Last edited by Rick on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Re: Shattering the Bastion [5th Gen. Wifi OU]

Post by harsha on Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:53 pm

This team looks fairly unconventional, but I really can't find any gaping holes in it. You just have to watch out for Rain SubCM Rachis, but I think you can deal with those. I'll edit this with an actual rate when I get back home.
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:25 pm

SubCM Rain Abuser Jirachi is no problem because of all the pressure my team members (aside from Tornadus) lay on it as it attempts to set up. Its only options are to attack, meaning that one of my team members takes a slight blow, set up a Calm Mind, meaning that my Pokemon can attack it for a good amount of damage, or in the case of Dragonite, OHKO it, or produce a Sub that most likely will be broken apart by the current team member in the field (again, aside from Tornadus).
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:55 pm

Actually, that's true for the common SubCM Rachi. However, a more defensive variant with 252 HP / 252 Def actually takes a +1 EQ from a max Atk Haxorus. Also, its ParaHax will get very annoying if Dragonite is sent out, as he can be rendered useless if he's too slow. I'll get to an actual rate now, though.

Deoxys-Vit: I see what the Expert Belt does, but you may want to go with a Focus Sash or Life Orb? A Life Orb helps you deal more damage while the Focus Sash lets you retain survivability and guarantee some hazards get set up. His moveset needs no changes, though Superpower could come in handy.
    Magnézone: Hidden Power [Fire] could be useful because it allows you to nab a handy KO on Ferrothorn. However, you know what you're doing better than I, so take this with a grain of salt. I know you can hit Dragons and Gliscor harder with Hidden Power [Ice] so it's your call.
    Dracolesse: It does what it does well. Nothing to say here. Just watch out for Stealth Rock.
    Boréas: Though that's an uncommon set, it can surprise its usual counters. Watch out for the common Scarf Rotom-W and Band Scizor combo, though. That can harass your Tornadus.
    Cizayox: Gains momentum for you, and it does its job well. Nothing to say here either.
    Sharpedo: He has a very creative French name, doesn't he? You may want to use Earthquake over Ice Fang because Crunch hits Dragons and Waterfall nails Gliscor and Flygon. You're right about 6-0's, though. Sharpedo is one tough cookie.

All-in-all, great presentation to go along with a great team. Those were what I thought could be changed, but you are a better battler than I, so do what you think seems fit. Good luck!
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:06 pm

Le bump for more rates.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2
    Tõx
    Server Administrator
    Server Administrator

So did I. <3
    Looking for my Tv.

Post by Tõx on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:04 pm

Just asking,but how do you play aganist Hippodown?I know it is Uu,but you may find it as well in the Ou tier.
    Apparentely you can only predict a switch-in and 2hko it whit Magnezone's Hp.
    Spoiler:
    I haven't made any calcs,so don't know if Sharpedo can 2hko as well.
    So maybe you can try Ice beam over Spikes on Deoxys,but I'm not sure if losing an hazard to the possybility to kill a rarely-seen Hippo would be useful.
    As always,please excuse my for any grammar mistakes.
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:40 pm

Psycho Boost from his Deoxys-S should take care of Hippowdon handily, while Dragonite's ExtremeSpeed is there just in case.
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:20 pm

Funny you should ask me of that. Sharpedo obviously is my main option, but a Flying Gem-boosted Acrobatics from Tornadus is another good option, as is the use of Hidden Power Ice on Mag. I'll only use Deoxys-S on last resort situations. Also, regarding Spikes, my team appreciates every layer I can possibly get because of the chip damage that can and will accrue through the course of the battle with the offensive pressure that my sweepers cause on my opponent's team. Just one switch-in to SR and one layer of Spikes can spell doom for my opponent, given the power of each of my sweepers. They also help against the rather common Volt-Turning teams.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2
    Tõx
    Server Administrator
    Server Administrator

So did I. <3
    Looking for my Tv.

Post by Tõx on Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 am

I made the calculations.
    Sharpedo's Waterfall scores a 2hko on Hippowdon,while it does 85.5% - 101.1% to the shark whit EQ,considering the LO recoil it will have serious possibility to kill.
    Acrobatics from Tondurus does between 161 and 189(I made the calcs on my own because I couldn't find any calculator whit the gems).
    And Psycho boost does 63.1% - 74.5% so if it Slack off in the same turn it will take the second attack whit ease.
    Or take the first Psycho boost and Slack off on the second (Assuming that they won't do the max damage.)
    Spoiler:
    "My" Hippowdon had 252 Evs in both Hp and Def,and an Impish nature.(At least this was smogon main set,and I assumed it to be the most common)
    Given all these calculations,you can only hope that Psycho boost does the max damage on the first hit.
    I see you point on Deoxys spikes,so may I suggest the air balloon on zone?
    I know that you'll lose the durability that leftovers give,and that the balloon would be really situational,knowing why Magnezone is in your team,but it looks like to be the only "safe way" to deal whit the hippo.
    Or maybe the LO on Deoxys,as Harsha suggested.

Please don't consider my post as a flame,I'm just saying that if someone leads whit it you can't really score a KO without losing a pokèmon of yours(in the worst-case scenario).
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:19 pm

Eh. Don't worry Luca. I ran some damage calcs, so you're mostly right, but I noted that most of my team members can 2HKO Hippowdon w/ Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes down. Psycho Boost from Deoxys-S will 2HKO Hippowdon, even with the Special Attack drop, unless it uses Slack Off the same turn I use the first Psycho Boost.

Damage calcs:

252 SpAtk Deoxys-S Psycho Boost vs 252 HP/4 SpDef Hippowdon: 62.38% - 73.81%
    2 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

252 SpAtk Deoxys-S Psycho Boost vs 252 HP/4 SpDef Hippowdon: 62.38% - 73.81%
    2 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

252 Atk Choice Band Dragonite Outrage vs 252 HP/252 Def Hippowdon: 50.24% - 59.52%
    2-3 hits to KO (with Leftovers)

Yep, you're right. I'll probably lose a Pokemon in the process of taking Hippowdon out, but because of Team Preview, I can make accomodations with my team to minimize losses. Thanks for the rate!
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:18 pm

I have a question, though. Crunch would 2HKO or OHKO most Dragons, and Waterfall handily OHKOs Gliscor, right? Wouldn't EQ benefit your Sharpedo more than Ice Fang would? I know your old Sharpedo set used EQ as well, so that's why I ask. I guess Ice Fang would help more on Dragonite and Salamence, but EQ is arguably one of the best moves in the game as it has 100 Base Power, and hits Steels super effectively. Then again, Waterfall takes care of the more common Steel types, but I think EQ is viable because Sun teams could hurt your Water moves.
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:14 pm

Steels?

, use for instant win.
    Kira Light
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by Kira Light on Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:23 pm

I would suggest a Rapid Spinner since Dragonite and Tornadus are both weak to Stealth Rock. But, then again, my battling skills can't even compare to yours, Rick, so I don't know whether my idea is good or not. Overall, great team! I saw a similar one on Smogon the other day. I think it had a Scarf Magneton, but Sharpedo and Tornadus had the exact same set, as well as Deoxys-S.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:37 pm