The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Opposite of Adults

harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Opposite of Adults

Post by harsha on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Opposite of Adults

Howdy, guys! It has been a long time since I wrote my last RMT, so I decided to do something different to celebrate my newest team. That's right, I chose to use a different tier! Little Cup immediately appealed to me, as I wanted to play with another Sand Rush sweeper. Also, I had been dying to try out a Mienfoo because they are pretty cool looking. Anyhow, the team focused on Sandstorm, but I decided that I didn't want my team to be fully dependent on my weather. Anyways, I've managed to peak at number 25 on the Smogon Little Cup ladder with this team, and I am content with it as of now. However, I do believe that my team can be changed to deal with more threats. Remember, I have little knowledge of the Little Cup meta game, so I need help. Here's some proof (I dropped a few points due to ladder decay):

Now please feel free to criticize my team to help me out. Thanks!

Under the Microscope

Leftovers | Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 212 HP | 84 Atk | 212 Def
    Impish Nature [+Def, -SAtk]
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar
    - Earthquake
    - Slack Off
    Hippopotas functions as my lead in most games, and sets up weather to add ease to my Drilbur sweep. Stealth Rock is a great hazard that cripples opponents such as Drifloon, and makes opponents think twice before switching. Roar stops Scraggy from setting up and / or demolishing my team on the spot. It also works well against Shell Smashers such as Dwebble, since they experience a drop in Defense. Slack Off provides instant recovery, and is a great addition to the moveset. I really have no criticism to offer for Hippopotas because he does what he needs to well. The EVs get the job done, and Leftovers offers automatic recovery.

Life Orb | Trait: Sand Rush
    EVs: 60 HP | 236 Atk | 212 Spd
    Jolly Nature [+Spd, -SAtk]
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - X-Scissor
    We should all know how Drilbur works by now, seeing as his big brother, Excadrill, was banned earlier this year. Just like Excadrill, he gains Sand Rush, doubling his Speed in a Sandstorm. This coveted ability, along with access to Swords Dance, makes my little buddy an excellent Sandstorm sweeper. Life Orb allows me to deal more damage, and Earthquake is my STAB of choice. It demolishes opponents due to the decimating power. Rock Slide and X-Scissor provide extra coverage, aiding against Flying types. The Jolly Nature helps me, even if a Sandstorm is not in play, as he hits 17 Speed (A fairly high number, in LC) with Jolly. The EVs max out Attack and Speed, Drilbur's greatest assets.

Life Orb | Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 236 Atk | 36 SDef | 236 Spd
    Jolly Nature [+Spd, -SAtk]
    - Fake Out
    - U-turn
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Stone Edge
    Mienfoo is a great Pokemon in LC, and functions just as Mienshao does in OU. Fake Out hits non-Ghosts fairly hard, and U-Turn gives him scoutability. Hi Jump Kick has an awe inspiring 195 Base Power. With maxed out Attack, most Pokemon will fall to the little fox. Stone Edge hits Flying types very hard, and adds to my coverage. The Jolly Nature maxes my Speed, along with the 236 Speed EVs. 236 go to Attack because I want to hit hard. The Life Orb is amazing, and adds more damage at the cost of 2 HP per turn. Regenerator allows me to heal the Sandstorm / Life Orb damage as soon as I U-Turn or switch out, and is a great addition to Mienfoo.

Choice Scarf | Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 196 SAtk | 116 SDef | 196 Spd
    Timid Nature [+Spd, -Atk]
    - Thunderbolt
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Ground]
    - Sludge Bomb
    Gastly is an amazing Pokemon. His high Speed and Special Attack make him a force to be reckoned with. Shadow Ball hits very hard, and provides good coverage. Hidden Power [Ground] gives me a defense against Steel types who resist Shadow Ball, and are immune to my other STAB, Sludge Bomb. Thunderbolt hits Flyers and Water types surprisingly hard, and is a great backup move. The EVs max out Speed and Special Attack, and add a lot of Special Bulk. Timid Nature assures that I get the kill, and Levitate gives me a Ground immunity.

Eviolite | Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 92 HP | 188 Def | 228 SDef
    Impish Nature [+Def, -SAtk]
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect
    - Seed Bomb
    - Thunder Wave
    Ferroseed is an amazing wall in LC, just like its counterpart Ferrothorn in OU. Ferroseed with an Eviolite reaches remarkable Defenses, and is usually my best defense against Scarfed attackers. Leech Seed gives me recovery, since I lack Leftovers. Protect adds another turn to scout the opponent and give me more recovery. Seed Bomb is my STAB of choice, as Power Whip is not an option for little Ferroseed. Thunder Wave makes Scarfers sad, as they are useless after Paralysis. The EVs give me high Defenses, and aid Ferroseed considerably in battles. Iron Barbs makes Physical attackers think twice before hitting me.

Leftovers | Trait: Overcoat
    EVs: 236 SAtk | 76 SDef | 196 Spd
    Modest Nature [+SAtk, -Atk]
    - Shell Smash
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Mud Shot
    Shellder is my Special sweeper on the team, and is very fun to use. Shell Smash boosts my Attack, Special Attack, and Speed by 2 levels, whilst lowering my Defense and Special Defense. All gifts must come at a cost, so the drop in Defense is not unbearable. Leftovers add to Shellder's survivability, which is questionable at best. Hydro Pump is a great STAB move, and Ice Beam gets great coverage. The last move is Mud Shot, which was added due to the lack of a choice, really. Overcoat protects me from Sandstorm damage, which is pretty great.

"Importable":
    Hippopotas (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 212 HP / 84 Atk / 212 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar
    - Earthquake
    - Slack Off

Drilbur (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sand Rush
    EVs: 60 HP / 236 Atk / 212 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - X-Scissor

Mienfoo (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 236 Atk / 36 SDef / 236 Spd
    - Fake Out
    - U-turn
    - Hi Jump Kick
    - Stone Edge

Gastly (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 196 SAtk / 116 SDef / 196 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Thunderbolt
    - Shadow Ball
    - Hidden Power [Ground]
    - Sludge Bomb

Ferroseed (M) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 92 HP / 188 Def / 228 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Leech Seed
    - Protect
    - Seed Bomb
    - Thunder Wave

Shellder (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Overcoat
    EVs: 236 SAtk / 76 SDef / 196 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Shell Smash
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Mud Shot

A Final Glance

Thanks for looking! Please leave your comments below. Like I said, this team made it to number 25 on Smogon, and I really like it. However, I think it can improve. That's all! Thanks!
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Re: Opposite of Adults

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:14 pm

I'd recommend Eviolite on Mienfoo. However, that's food for thought. Take it with a grain of salt. WILL EDIT LATER.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:24 pm

It's been 24+ hours, so... BUMP.

Breloom

Post by Breloom on Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:22 pm

You'll probably want HP Fighting or HP Fire on Ghastly for the coverage they provide and for beating the extremely common Ferroseed.

Consider Omanyte over Shellder for its higher bulk (especially in a Sandstorm) and its much higher special attack. If you're using Shellder, you should probably switch to a physically attacking role to avoid being almost completely outclassed, although I personally prefer Tirtouga for a physical shell smasher.

Have you ever had trouble with Scraggy? It looks like it could cause quite a bit of mayhem. Try switching Mienfoo to the more defensive Eviolite variant to deal with Scraggy.

That's it. Good luck!
    Tõx
    Server Administrator
    Server Administrator

So did I. <3
    Looking for my Tv.

Post by Tõx on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:40 pm

Nice team,Harsha.
    I've seen a surprisingly effective Mienfoo set:
    Mienfoo(M) @ Eviolite
    Trait: Regenerator
    EVs: 156 Atk / 116 Def / 236 Spd
    - Drain Punch
    - U-turn
    - Toxic
    - Fake Out
    It has the power to counter Scraggy(as Breloom said) and Carvanha(is it still in LC?)more and more time,thanks to is trait,evolite and the evs spread,ruining their day whit drain punch,healing off the damage they could have made through Zen headbutt or Waterfall
    And,whit some prediction it can destroy bulky guys too,as Slowpoke,Hippopotas and Misdreavus.
    -On Gastly,why don't
    Hp[Fire]>Hp[Ground]?
    I think that hitting Ferrorseed harder than Magnemite(or something I haven't figured out,yet)would be more useful.(again as Breloom said)
    Or,just replace Gastly whit an offensive Misdreavuos,whit the same set?
    More bulk,more speed,but less attacking power(18,still very good though).
    (Can't remember if that ghost is still in Lc,ignore this part if it is not)
    -Last point.
    Have you already tried Clamper over Shellder?
    After a Shell Smash boost it reaches 64 SAttk,one of the best cleaners ever,huh?
    Or,if you prefer keeping Shellder,or if a failed again about tiers,try Hp[Grass/Ground/Electric] on it.
    --Excuse me for any eventual grammar/spelling mistakes--

Breloom

Post by Breloom on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:47 pm

I personally prefer Omanyte for bulk in sandstorm. Clamperl's extra power is usually unneeded, since Omanyte can already OHKO things.

I think Carvanha is banned.
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:58 pm

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions. So far, I've replaced Shellder with Omanyte and HP Ground with HP Fire. They're both working wonders! Also, though I did have problems with Scraggy, I'd usually sack a bunch of Pokemon and end up winning due to a good play on my part or a bad play on my opponent's part, but with players such as Rick, I fall to Scraggy. Though I like my Mienfoo's power, I may as well try out the Eviolite set to help ease my Scraggy problems. Results from the new Mienfoo will be shared. Thanks for the help, guys!
    Artist Smeargle
    Administrator
    Administrator

The Fanciest Man

Post by Artist Smeargle on Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:03 pm

Just a minor thing, I'd like to give you a good Scraggy counter/check/WHATEVER-A-MA-JIG;

Ekans (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 236 HP / 4 Def / 4 SDef / 240 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Switcheroo
    - Glare
    - Swagger
    - Giga Drain

Switcheroo a Scarf onto Scraggy, and Glare/Swagger it or another Pokemon. Giga Drain is there for the extra healing, in case they bring out a Ground type. I dunno, I just found this useful for making Scraggy less effective. I may get onto reviewing later on.

"hiper" --()--

Rika is still dead.

Rips from http://www.pkparaiso.com/ pls give them more credit.

Credit to Mr. Sufat for this absolutely SMASHING avatar.

Breloom

Post by Breloom on Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:59 pm

That's kinda gimmicky lol, eviolite mienfoo is good enough
    Tõx
    Server Administrator
    Server Administrator

So did I. <3
    Looking for my Tv.

Post by Tõx on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Be sure to change Gastly Evs spread to 200/110/200 if running Hp[Fire] on it.
    That Mienfoo is able to check Scraggy various time during the match,thanks to Evolite/Drain punch/Regenerator,and whit that Def investment it can even take a +1 Zen Headbutt,so you shouldn't have any problem in dealing whit that lizard.
    Edit:Just an extra nitpick,but can you really relay on Lefties as recover?
    I'd run Evolite, just 2-3 hp extra every turn is too little,IMO.

Last edited by Tõx on Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Breloom

Post by Breloom on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:03 pm

Yeah, I forgot to mention to change Ghastly's EVs.

And as Tox said,bulky mienfoo>current mienfoo.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:39 pm