The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

.::Fire Power::.

Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:18 am

Origin of the Team's namesake:

□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

.::Introductory::.

Sunny Supremacy 1.0 was quite successful in its time. However, despite its massive level of success, I still had some issues with it. One, I despised Shiftry's frailty, despite its overwhelming level of power and efficiency. Two, priority just was not as good of a solution as it once was. Three, I HATED it when some Scarfed Pokemon would outspeed Shiftry in the sun and have a field day with my team. So, I decided to resolve it and test some new Pokemon and EV spreads. I wanted to keep some of my sets that worked better just the same though.

Knowing that, I decided to focus again on Volcarona, this time though, a bulkier variant. I also wanted to keep Dragonite, seeing that it worked well with Volcarona to make an excellent offensive core. From there, the team fell into place. If you're going to ask me about battle records, then let me say that the only losses this team has ever incurred were due to untimely hax during each of those battles.

Note: The names of the team members are in French because the French Pokemon names are pretty cool.

□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

.::Team at a Glance::.

.::Importable::.

Code:
    FEUNARD (Ninetales) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 248 HP / 96 SDef / 164 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Overheat
    - Power Swap
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Safeguard

TRIOPIKEUR (Dugtrio) (F) @ Focus Sash
    Trait: Arena Trap
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Substitute
    - Reversal

FRAGILADY (Lilligant) (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 64 SDef / 192 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Sleep Powder
    - Healing Wish
    - Leaf Storm
    - Hidden Power [Rock]

FORETRESS (Forretress) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Spikes
    - Volt Switch
    - Rapid Spin
    - Gyro Ball

DRACOLOSSE (Dragonite) (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Fire Punch
    - Dragon Claw

PYRAX (Volcarona) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flame Body
    EVs: 240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Quiver Dance
    - Fiery Dance
    - Bug Buzz
    - Morning Sun

.::Team Building::.

Read the above title.:

I started with Sunny Supremacy 1.0 and looked for things I wanted to change to better the team overall. I then saw that I wanted to get rid of Donphan (Excadrill's ban rendered him less useful than before) and Infernape, seeing that he really opened my team up to the Lati twins. So, I decided to replace Donphan with Metagross to add some offensive and defensive punch to the team and Infernape with Hitmontop, to bolster my team's defense against entry hazards and Rock-type attacks.

That team was successful for a while actually, and got me into this racket about how Metagross was underrated and a very menacing threat in OU, but I hated playing with this team. The matches quickly got stale, and I started losing more with this variant, so I decided to establish some changes for it.

After some deliberation, I decided to replace Hitmontop with Forretress, seeing that it could gain more momentum for my team with Volt Switch, lay entry hazards, and spin them away for me, all in one Pokemon. I then evaluated my team and saw Metagross to be redundant, so I swapped him for Dugtrio, to ease my time against opposing weather.

Lilligant is like Shiftry on steroids when it comes to the power of its attacks. However, unlike Shiftry, she can actually take a hit and deal a harder one back. It also can outspeed the fastest Cloyster and neutralize it with any attack in its arsenal, removing that threat from my list.

Afterwards, I fiddled with the sets and created .::Fire Power::. from Sunny Supremacy 1.0.

.::The Team in Detail::.

FEUNARD

Female | | Drought
    248 HP / 96 SpD / 164 Spe | 0 Atk
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)

~ Overheat
    ~ Power Swap
    ~ Will-O-Wisp
    ~ Safeguard

The Dream World's gift for Ninetales, Drought, is a godsend for sun teams in OU. Its Drought literally amps the fire power of my team up beyond normal weather conditions. However, it's typically seen as the worst weather setter in the game because of its weaknesses to moves that the other weather setters commonly carry. However, that doesn't deter me from using Ninetales. Its special bulk is better than most of OU and its ability to punish Special sweepers with the combination of Overheat and Power Swap is nearly unparalleled. I'll lead with this only when I see nothing that overly threatens Ninetales's life on the battlefield. However, should I see another weather setter, I'll lead with either Dugtrio or Lilligant depending on what the inducer is. If the inducer is Politoed or Hippowdon, then I'll lead with Lilligant. However, should the inducer be Tyranitar, then I'll lead with Dugtrio. If a wild Abomasnow appears, then I'll lead with Ninetales. Overheat and Power Swap, which supplements the Special Defense of my team after an Overheat are a given, and Safeguard is an underrated option that aids in the setting up of Volcarona or switching in of my other team members for a sweep by protecting them from debilitating status for 5 turns. Will-O-Wisp does the same for my team's physical defense that Power Swap does for my Special Defense. I haven't bothered to swap the EVs for Ninetales yet because they work well enough for my tastes, letting me outspeed my opponents and accomplish what I need to do and the IVs minimize confusion damage (situational, I know).

╠════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╣

TRIOPIKEUR

Female | | Arena Trap
    252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe | 21 HP
    Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)

~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Substitute / Stone Edge
    ~ Reversal

At first, I thought of Dugtrio as a gimmick Pokemon, capable of nothing in the OU tier. I was wrong. Dugtrio is an amazing asset to .::Fire Power::., trapping and KOing those that attempt to annoy the automatons of this team by bringing in weather other than sunlight or Ground-weak sweepers that attempt to break through the team. I usually will lead with her when I see that my opponent has a weather starter in the wings that is not Abomasnow, Hippowdon or Politoed. However, should those weather starters be present, I'll lead with Dugtrio. I stuck Stealth Rock on Dugtrio to take some pressure off of Forretress to lay hazards, especially when it has to switch in more than once to take hits for the rest of the team. Earthquake is obligatory STAB, while Substitute is there to help me get down to 1 HP to maximize Reversal's power and shield myself from harmful status when trapping Pokemon that won't hit hard enough to bring me down to 1 HP. Reversal is my secret weapon against Tyranitar and his Fighting-weak company. When it's at maximum power, it'll hit hard, despite coming off an Attack stat of 259. I'm considering Stone Edge over Substitute, if only to hit Tornadus and Gyarados harder than with my other attacks. The EVs are standard fare, setting Dugtrio over some Scarfed Pokemon found in the metagame today (Tyranitar, Politoed) and some VERY common Pokemon seen today, such as non-Scarfed Terrakion, Starmie, and Espeon, and the IVs let me have 50 HP Subs while keeping 1 HP extra. The Focus Sash is there to help me live through some very powerful attacks provided that entry hazards aren't down yet and maximize Reversal's power.

FRAGILADY

Female | | Chlorophyll
    252 SpA / 64 SpD / 192 Spe | 2 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
    Modest Nature (+SpA, -Atk)
    ~ Sleep Powder

~ Healing Wish
    ~ Leaf Storm
    ~ Hidden Power Rock

Lilligant quite literally holds this team up on her shoulders and is the reason I win more games than not. The power behind her attacks combined with her rather decent bulk lets me nudge my way past other teams. I first saw this set on Katakiri's RMT titled Prelude of Light. She is the Pokemon I'll lead most often with against other weather teams due to her ability to threaten the inducers and pose a threat to most of the abusers in the other forms of weather. If I'm not leading with her or using her to counter other weather inducers, then I'll be using her to abuse Chlorophyll and support my team when her time comes with Healing Wish, giving Volcarona or another sweeper of mine a second chance at ripping through my opponent's team. Sleep Powder essentially knocks out one of my opponent's Pokemon because of the new Sleep mechanics. Leaf Storm is VERY powerful STAB that will deal a number to almost all of OU unless they're packing a 4* resistance to it or massive defenses. Hidden Power Rock is there so Volcarona and Ice-types don't ruin my day, regardless of weather. The EVs let me outspeed the fastest Cloyster even when it's at +2 (if I'm in the sun) while the IVs let me have a Hidden Power Rock with 70 base power while minimizing confusion damage. As I said earlier, Lilligant holds my team up on her shoulders, and is irreplacable for me.

FORETRESS

Female | | Sturdy
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD | 0 Spe
    Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)

~ Spikes
    ~ Volt Switch
    ~ Rapid Spin
    ~ Gyro Ball

Forretress. Its utility for this team is amazing, despite the sun exacerbating its 4* weakness to Fire. Its Steel typing benefits this team in so many ways, letting it take attacks the others cannot handle on their own or use as set-up fodder. When I see a Haxorus start to use Outrage, I switch into Forretress to set Spikes up and possibly Rapid Spin them away in the process. If I see a Magnezone in his team, I'll Volt Switch the turn after the physically-inclined dragon calms down from confusion. Should it be a specially-based dragon such as the Lati twins, I'll switch out to Dragonite or Volcarona when they're at -2, and then threaten the opposition with powerful attacks for the former or a free chance at set-up from the latter. Spikes is Forretress's contribution to the table while Rapid Spin is the reason Forry here made the team in the first place. Volt Switch gets me out of hairy situations involving Magnezone without having to use Shed Shell and lose Leftovers recovery. Gyro Ball assures me that Forretress is not complete set-up bait for my opponent. The EVs let me take hits better for the team overall than if I'd have used a physically defensive set while the IVs maximize the power of Forretress's Gyro Ball, which hits fast Pokemon lacking a Steel resistance pretty hard.

DRACOLOSSE

Female | | Multiscale
    4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)

~ Outrage
    ~ ExtremeSpeed
    ~ Fire Punch
    ~ Dragon Claw / Earthquake

This is the exact same Dragonite as the one I used on Sunny Supremacy 1.0. Its power coupled with Multiscale ensures that it will ALWAYS get one hit in over the course of a battle should it be sent out. I send Dragonite out when I want something on my opponent's team KOed then and there or when something like Latios is using a resisted Hidden Power or has had their stats reduced by an attack of theirs. Oftentimes, I play a tad more recklessly with Dragonite than my other team members because of the protection that Safeguard offers from status combined with Multiscale. Outrage, which can 2HKO offensive Heatran with Stealth Rock and 3HKO defensive variants with Stealth Rock and two layers of Spikes at the very minimum, is for the sheer power available from it while ExtremeSpeed is a very reliable soource of priority which lets me pick off weakened, but powerful threats to my team. Since ExtremeSpeed has +2 priority, I don't have to worry too much about attackers attempting to KO me with their priority attacks (unless the attacker just happens to be a physical Lucario or Arcanine). Fire Punch is there for the Steel-infested metagame and to give Dragonite a means of dealing with the only type that resists its STAB. Dragon Claw is my preferred option because it lets me abuse Dragon STAB without locking myself in and confusing myself over two-three turns. However, I've used Earthquake once in a while, and that's also an option I'm considering. The EVs are standard fare and give Dragonite maximum power.

PYRAX

Female | | Flame Body
    240 HP / 216 Def / 52 Spe | 0 Atk
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)

~ Quiver Dance
    ~ Fiery Dance
    ~ Bug Buzz
    ~ Morning Sun

Volcarona, the main star of the team. However, the set I've chosen to use on this Volcarona is not the conventional, offensive LO + Hidden Power set, but a more defensive set, which takes advantage of Volcarona's surprising, underrated bulk to set multiple Quiver Dances up and sweep the opposition. I don't have to worry to much about Volcarona's counters initially because of Heal Bell from Lilligant and Morning Sun. This variant also cares less about Stealth Rock because of Morning Sun and the fact that the opposing weather inducers will have disappeared by the time it takes the stage, ensuring that Morning Sun grants Volcarona the maximum amount of recovery. I'll bring Volcarona in when an opportunity for a sweep presents itself, usually in the form of a special attacker at -2 or a sleeping Pokemon, set a Quiver Dance up, and then play depending on what my opponent sends out in the turn I set a Quiver Dance up. If I can set up on that, then I'll use Quiver Dance again. If I absolutely must attack and knock it out, then I will. Quiver Dance is Volcarona's best boosting move and one woith pitiful distribution. Fiery Dance is used because of its favorable secondary effect while Bug Buzz is more reliable STAB. Morning Sun is a very reliable method of recovery when opposing weather is out of the equation called battle. The EVs let me survive weaker attacks and random non-STAB Earthquakes while outspeeding the threats that try to outspeed those that run a Speed stat of 245 and those that try to Speed creep those at 245. Flame Body only supplements the defensive EV spread. The IVs minimize confusion damage (again).

.::One Last Glance at the Team::.

Artist Smeargle
    Administrator
    Administrator

The Fanciest Man

Re: .::Fire Power::.

Post by Artist Smeargle on Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Well. I WAS planning on rating Sunny Supremacy 1.0, but I guess I'll just rate this one after schoolwork.

EDIT: HERE IT IS

Senor Ninetales! Always needed for a Sun Team, unless you're in Ubers, in which case, Groudon is better. No matter. That Ninetales you have is rather unique. In the fact that, I've never, in my life, seen a Ninetales with Power Swap, nor Safeguard. But, in our battles, it has proved rather good with Overheat. It's certainly original, in my case. I do not think this set really needs changing. I'd almost suggest trying a Calm nature, but Timid seems to be good enough, seeing you aren't running a totally defensive set. I've nothing against your set, change wise.

Amigo Dugtrio! Oh how I hated this thing... It always destroyed my Heatran. About your consideration, I'd have to agree. Seeing as Rain is still common... Say you get unlucky, and Ninetales faints, and they bring in Politoed... Tornadus will likely have a small field day with Dugtrio, and of course, the rest shouldn't be a problem, except Dragonite, which I'll get to later. So I think Stone Edge will help you quite a bit, seeing as there are some you cannot hit hard with the Fighting/Ground combo. There's also Latios to worry about with the Fighting/Ground combo... No matter. Everything else is fine from what I see.

Lilligant has come for a cup of tea. Oh Lilligant. You are as tough as Dugtrio. Hidden Power Rock takes care of Volcarona and Dragonite and Heatran a bit... Sleep Powder loves to not miss, while for me, it almost always... Healing Wish lets you give sweepers another chance... Leaf Storm can take down those weak to it... YOUR SPEED IS DOUBLED. This Pokemon right here, has caused me so much trouble in fighting your team... I honestly hate fighting it, it can put me to sleep, it can use Leaf Storm, it can use Hidden Power Rock to destroy those resistant. Honestly. I really need a way to fight this thing without making it suicide to heal one of it's teammates. Back on the rant rate, I'd have to agree. Your team needs Lilligant to survive so well. Healing Wish really helps. I used to think of it as useless... I have no suggestions for change except a possible change to Timid and arrange more EVs into Speed to outspeed some other Chlolorphyll users, but that is situational.
    I'd almost suggest a Chansey/Blissey with Heal Bell and Wish, but Lilligant seems to fit the role of healing it's mates well.

There's part one, I plan on adding part two tomorrow or so, but it's getting late and I'm tired. Sorry if I didn't live to expectations in my rate, but as I said. I'm getting tired, but I'll try and get the rest of it done tomorrow or sometime before the weekend. I may add more the previous reviews.

Last edited by Artist Smeargle on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

"hiper" --()--

Rika is still dead.

Rips from http://www.pkparaiso.com/ pls give them more credit.

Credit to Mr. Sufat for this absolutely SMASHING avatar.
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Very nice format, I must say. You certainly make your RMTs fun to read. Truly, I don't have any major suggestions for the team; I think it works well. (Especially Dugtrio for Tyranitars!) Lilligant can take care of Hippowdon and Politoed, so it looks like you have opposing weather covered. Good! Now, I think I'll suggest a more offensive version of Volcarona because it really helped me on my Sun team. Also, you may want to try out Sawsbuck over Lilligant for a little more power on the Physical side. On Forretress, you may want to try Earthquake or something over Gyro Ball, as his Attack is fairly low. Everything else I see is fine. Cool team, and good luck!
    Roxie
    Administrator
    Administrator

Purple Zigzagoon

Post by Roxie on Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:06 pm

If you don't mind, when I return on my laptop, I would like to battle this team (and yes, I've read about the back-up). It's good being back on my Wii.

Start of turn 1
    Gardevoir has Mega Evolved into Mega Gardevoir!
    Gardevoir used Focus Blast!
    It's super effective!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 lost 100% of its health!
    The foe's 劈斩司令 fainted!

蓝色闪光: ⊙▽⊙
    Shadow Roxas: Noooot this time buddy
    蓝色闪光 forfeited against Shadow Roxas!

The window was disabled due to one of the players closing the battle window.
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:24 pm

Artist Smeargle wrote:Well. I WAS planning on rating Sunny Supremacy 1.0, but I guess I'll just rate this one after schoolwork.

PLACEHOLDER FOR RATE

I can wait. Thanks!

Harsha wrote:Very nice format, I must say. You certainly make your RMTs fun to read. Truly, I don't have any major suggestions for the team; I think it works well. (Especially Dugtrio for Tyranitars!) Lilligant can take care of Hippowdon and Politoed, so it looks like you have opposing weather covered. Good! Now, I think I'll suggest a more offensive version of Volcarona because it really helped me on my Sun team. Also, you may want to try out Sawsbuck over Lilligant for a little more power on the Physical side. On Forretress, you may want to try Earthquake or something over Gyro Ball, as his Attack is fairly low. Everything else I see is fine. Cool team, and good luck!

Thanks for the rate and the compliment! Now, to get to your nitpicks.

Pyrax: I chose a more defensive Volcarona because of its ability to take hits better than the other variants, helping it get multiple Quiver Dances in. On average, I'll get 2-3 Dances in, more than enough to blast through the opposition, even without investment in my Special Attack or a boosting nature. I don't have to worry too much about counters to Volcarona, because of Healing Wish support and Morning Sun in the sun. Regarding the seeming vulnerability to status, Safeguard helps there immensely, and again, Healing Wish comes to mind. Thanks for the concern though. It's rather appreciated.

Haydaim > Fragilady: Sawsbuck cannot deal adequately enough with Hippowdon, an advantage Lilligant therefore carries. Dragonite and Dugtrio are adequate enough when it comes to physical offense, and Forretress can be used as a last resort.

Foretress: Earthquake doesn't get STAB, and I need a way of hitting Gengar and other fast, frail Special attackers. Therefore, Gyro Ball reigns supreme. Also, Volcarona can set up on Mag, and Dugtrio can KO it without effort.

Thanks for the rate!

[SH]Chaos Wolf wrote:If you don't mind, when I return on my laptop, I would like to battle this team (and yes, I've read about the back-up). It's good being back on my Wii.

Yeah, sure.
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:35 pm

I see your logic in all of the points, and I guess it's true that your Lilligant is better suited against other weather starters. Also, Gyro Ball can hit a lot of threats better than Earthquake, and Gengar is getting more common, so I see your point there. The problem I found with Defensive Volcarona is Pokemon that could take a hit (or two) and KO Volcarona back. However, I'll assume you only bring him out if the counters are gone, so I guess your good to go! Great team, as I already stated, and good luck!
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:14 pm

Bumping for MORE rates.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone