The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Jirachi's Field Day (5th Gen. OU RMT)

harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Jirachi's Field Day (5th Gen. OU RMT)

Post by harsha on Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:52 pm

Jirachi's Field Day

I've recently discovered that my favorite weather is easily the Rain. No, I do not abuse Swift Swim, as I follow Smogon rules. With the recent ban of Excadrill, I decided to take a shot at a Heavy Offense. I originally intended to make a Rain Stall team, but this team was the result, as I cannot play Stall well. The team utilizes slow Sweepers that can set up, or Pokemon that hit hard right off the bat. A lot of credit goes to the Smogon community, because I found many of these sets there. Now that I've rambled on enough, I'll get to the team-building process.

Teambuilding

Teambuilding:

The team started out as Politoed, Dragonite, Breloom, Blissey, Skarmory, and Starmie. An Offensive team with Stall involved. Politoed set my weather up, and functioned as a Choiced Revenge Killer of sorts. Dragonite was Choice Banded, and hit very hard. Breloom was my main Sweeper. The SkarmBliss combo walled well, and Starmie removed Hazards. The team worked well for a few matches, but it soon fell apart.
    [img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]
    Well, it really didn't work, so I decided to replace Skarmory and Blissey, since they really were not helping that much. Jirachi and Gastrodon came to mind, since they both abused Rain. Jirachi was a Pokemon that I really wanted to test, since Rick abused one to a great extent. Gastrodon had its merits as well, so they made it onto the team.
    Breloom started to be used less and less, and I decided I needed to replace him. Gyarados, from my team "Bulky Offense," came to mind. Both functioned similarly, but I thought Gyarados was more efficient, and efficiency is key.
    Finally, I decided to replace my Spinner and try out one of Rain's biggest counters: Celebi! It's one of my friend's favorite Pokemon, and I have to say, it has worked wonders. Taking out a lot of counters to my team is important, and Celebi does this with ease, as it can OHKO opposing Breloom.
    WILL FINISH THIS SOON!

At a Glance

In Detail

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 4 HP | 252 SAtk | 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Focus Blast
    - Perish Song
    This is my Lead Politoed that sets up my weather and hits hard. He often OHKO's Lead Scizors and such with Hydro Pump. Hydro Pump has 270 Base Power, and it devastates opposing teams. Ice Beam serves as coverage against opposing Salamence and Dragonites. Focus Blast may be replaced with Hidden Power [Grass], or something of the sort to hit Gastrodon hard. Perish Song demolishes Baton Pass teams that lack Mr. Mime. The Modest Nature helps me hit hard, and the EVs are standard for ScarfToed. Politoed often nabs unsuspecting KO's for me, and I love using him.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Atk | 4 SDef | 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - Waterfall
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Earthquake
    Of course you all knew my team would include a Dragonite. Luckily for me, he was only voted to be banned by 15% of suspect voters, so I can continue abusing his power. Choice Band Dragonite is a monster, even without Fire Punch. Though he lacks coverage against Ferrothorn, he makes up for it with his prowess. Outrage is "OUTRAGEOUSLY" powerful, and even 2HKO's Heatran. He is able to destroy nearly all threats to this team other than Bulky Steels. ExtremeSpeed is a great priority move that wrecks most Pokemon that are near fainting. Waterfall gets a boost from the Rain, and hits a lot of Pokemon hard if you don't want to get locked into Outrage. Earthquake is for Steels not named Bronzong and Skarmory.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk | 4 SDef | 252 Spd
    - Dragon Dance
    - Substitute
    - Bounce
    - Waterfall
    I have to thank ShakeItUp from Smogon for this set. Since most Rotom-Ws only run Volt Switch, Substitute helps me escape them. Rotom-W is really Gyarados's only solid counter, so Substitute takes it out of the equation. Bounce is a two turn attack that actually works, and Waterfall is a powerful Physical attack that gets a boost from the Rain. Both get STAB and have fairly good coverage together. The EVs max Speed and Attack out, and are standard, while the Adamant Nature boosts Attack. Moxie makes the effect snowball and ruins people's days. All in all, Gyarados is a monster to be reckoned with.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP | 252 Def | 4 SAtk
    - Substitute
    - Calm Mind
    - Water Pulse
    - Thunder
    HaxRachi? Of course! This Jirachi is a fairly new set that I found while browsing Smogon, after watching Rick pick apart my team with one. If he gets to +2 with a Substitute up, you may as well call game; that's how effective it is. Though I originally wanted a Breloom sweep with this team, I decided to try Jirachi instead because I wanted a stronger Special side. Jirachi is literally the most used Pokemon on this team. He forces switches, then sets up a Substitute and gets his Calm Minds up. Thunder Paralyzes, and Water Pulse covers the Ground types Thunder doesn’t hit. Water Pulse also has a 40% chance to Confuse, so ParaFusion Hax works very well. The EVs let me max out the non-boosted Defenses, so he doesn’t rack up too much damage. Leftovers help me recover, which is important due to Substitute’s toll. Also, 101 HP Subs let me take 2 Seismic Tosses from Blisseys and Chanseys befor my Sub breaks, allowing me to get an extra Calm Mind in. All-in-all, I love Jirachi!

Celebi @ Life Orb
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 4 HP | 252 SAtk | 252 Spd
    - Nasty Plot
    - Earth Power
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    Celebi is one of Rain’s biggest counters, aside from Gastrodon. Nasty Plot skyrockets its Special Attack, and the EVs help with its sweeping ability. With a Life Orb, Celebi deals out massive damage. Giga Drain allows it to heal itself, and is very important. Hiidden Power [Ice] hits a lot of things very hard. Earth Power nabs KO’s on Heatran and such. I won’t replace Giga Drain with Leaf Storm due to the ability to recover. Natural Cure allows Celebi to absorb status, and gives Celebi an important role on this team.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP | 4 SAtk | 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Recover
    - Toxic
    - Ice Beam
    - Scald
    Oh, Gastrodon: The new face in OU! Bloo from Smogon popularized it, and it’s used so much for a good reason. It absorbs Water moves with Storm Drain, and Poisons the opposition with Toxic. Recover allows it to heal, and it can fight back with Scald and Ice Beam. If a Physical Attacker comes in, I can Burn it with Scald. Ice Beam is a good coverage move that takes out opposing Dragonites and Salamence. The Calm Nature boosts my already high SDef, and the EVs maximize the Special Defense as well. Leftovers give me reliable recovery.

Importable

Code:
    Politoed (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Drizzle
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Hydro Pump
    - Ice Beam
    - Focus Blast
    - Perish Song

Dragonite (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    - Outrage
    - Waterfall
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Earthquake

Jirachi @ Leftovers
    Trait: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
    - Substitute
    - Calm Mind
    - Water Pulse
    - Thunder

Celebi @ Life Orb
    - Nasty Plot
    - Earth Power
    - Giga Drain
    - Hidden Power [Ice]

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    - Dragon Dance
    - Substitute
    - Bounce
    - Waterfall

Gastrodon-Ea (Gastrodon-East) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Storm Drain
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Recover
    - Toxic
    - Ice Beam
    - Scald

Conclusion

Though very Ferrothorn weak, this team is now one of my favorites, and I’ve laddered it up to 2 on Treehouse [1403 points]. It also peaked at number 2 on The Battle Tower, a server that I rarely use [1421 points]. Jirachi tends to beat Pokemon such as Chansey, Blissey, and even Ferrothorn because he can set up Calm Minds in their faces and then attack with Thunder. Basically, I preserve my Jirachi until I find an opening and then attack with him. Gyarados can also work this way, and is played similarly to Jirachi.

A Final Look

Last edited by Harsha on Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:37 pm; edited 18 times in total (Reason for editing : Rating change.)

Gonogo

Montreal

Re: Jirachi's Field Day (5th Gen. OU RMT)

Post by Gonogo on Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:00 pm

Looks great! I'll get to rating it soon!
    Crossfire12
    Server Administrator
    Server Administrator

The world

Post by Crossfire12 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:43 pm

3 of 6 of the pokemon here I have used and I know jirachi and gastrodon work well with those set,
    gya can't really do anything to ele types and not really sure about bounce but then again most people think all gya have EQ.
    I think I have seen that Celebi set before too not really sure how great it is but it can stop a lot counters to your team.
    I see nothing wrong with drago as your and rick have used it and I have heard good things about Drago plus CB.

Well my rate has been a bit useless but what I can see here is sand don't stand a chance with team.

end of rate If I find more info I will add it later
    Artist Smeargle
    Administrator
    Administrator

The Fanciest Man

Post by Artist Smeargle on Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:45 pm

Not bad. I see that in the Final Look, you used Gastro's beta sprite.

"hiper" --()--

Rika is still dead.

Rips from http://www.pkparaiso.com/ pls give them more credit.

Credit to Mr. Sufat for this absolutely SMASHING avatar.
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:36 pm

CB Terrakion looks like a menace for this team to deal with in conjunction with Stealth Rock. Although you have the critical resists needed to take it on somewhat successfully, it will hit your team very hard, seeing that nothing will enjoy taking a Banded Close Combat or Stone Edge from it. To solve that problem, Starmie should be considered over Gastrodon, who seems to be doing the least for your team. Having Starmie will also give you a more reliable method of eliminating Tornadus from the field and a powerful special attacker with powerful Water STAB.

Here's the Starmie I recommend:

Starmie @ Life Orb
    IVs: 0 Atk
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Surf
    - Thunder
    - Rapid Spin
    - Recover

You've seen me use this before. Go wild with it.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:39 pm

Haha yeah. They didn't have the official on PLDH. Anyhow, thanks guys. I'll take your rates [when completed] into consideration.

Regarding Starmie, I have tried it, and do like him. However, I like how Gastrodon is able to shake off Electric moves and such. I will consider / test Starmie out, though.
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:32 pm

Alright. I deleted the last bump. This team will be retired soon, as it reached number 2 on the Treehouse, and number 2 on The Battle Tower. I like the team, and though there was an apparent Ferrothorn weakness, Gyarados and Jirachi usually won me most games.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:46 pm