The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Sunny Supremacy (5th Gen. OU RMT)

Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Sunny Supremacy (5th Gen. OU RMT)

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:27 pm

Sunny Supremacy

══════════════════════════════════════

Introduction

Well, it's been a while since I last posted a RMT, hasn't it? I made this team over the span of 2 and a half weeks during my spare moments in school (during lunch) based around the concept of abusing the sun to the fullest. It's not perfect, but then again, no team is. So, what was the deadliest sweeper in the sun? That was the question I asked myself before building this team. My answer: it's not Venusaur, but my favorite Bug-type Pokemon, Volcarona. Its speed coupled with its typing that grants it a resistance to most common priority that isn't ExtremeSpeed. Quiver Dance makes it harder to be revenge killed with special attacks. Its only solid counters are the pink blobs, Dragonite, and Heatran, which can be dealt with easily by other team members. Knowing that, I decided to use it as my main sweeper. The team then spread from there to cater to Volcarona's needs so it can successfully sweep through OU. I used this team under the alt Negative III and got it up to #85 after two battles, but that's not saying much. As of this post, Sunny Supremacy has never suffered a loss. However, I know that will change.

Importable

Code:
    Ninetales (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 248 HP / 96 SDef / 164 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Overheat
    - Power Swap
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Safeguard

Donphan (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard

Dragonite (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - ExtremeSpeed
    - Dragon Claw
    - Fire Punch

Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flame Body
    EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Substitute
    - Quiver Dance
    - Bug Buzz
    - Fiery Dance

Shiftry (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SAtk / 200 Spd
    Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
    - Growth
    - Leaf Storm
    - Dark Pulse
    - Low Kick

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Iron Fist
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Flare Blitz
    - Close Combat
    - Mach Punch

Team at a Glance

Team Building

I'm too lazy to come up with a clever name for this spoiler.:

Volcarona is the best sun sweeper in the game. Its base stats coupled with Quiver Dance, which boosts its best stats, allow it to be a menace to all of OU. I elected not to go with the standard offensive Volcarona or the ChestoRest variant that I'm very fond of. Instead, I chose to go with a version popularized by Smogon moderator JabbaTheGriffin. Now, I needed sun and Volcarona's counters gone before I could attempt a clean sweep with it. Keeping that in mind, I decided on the next two team members somewhat quickly.

"Why not Blaziken?" you may ask. I reply, "I needed priority and initial speed, things which Blaziken didn't offer." That's my reasoning for choosing Infernape. Mach Punch deals a number to Terrakion, a huge problem to Sun, removing that problem from my list. Infernape's Close Combat is a reliable option for eliminating the blobs and Heatran, problems for Sun in general, and doesn't cost Infernape 50% of its HP should it miss or my opponent use Protect. Ninetales enhances the performance abilities of both Volcarona and Infernape. It's also a key part of my team's synergy by lowering the power of Water-type moves for the rest of the team. Now, I knew that Drizzle teams would make short work of my current, established team, which was weak to Water.

Harsha's been going on about the effectiveness of Multiscale Dragonite for quite a while, and I have to say that the rants are certainly true. To me, Dragonite easily takes the cake for being the best Dragon to use underneath the sun. Sure, Salamence was faster and had access to a powerful mixed set, but Dragonite's bulk with Multiscale, access to Fire Punch, and reliable priority in ExtremeSpeed more than make up for its shortcomings. Multiscale lets me use Dragonite as a makeshift Rain and opposing Sun team counter. Despite having Dragonite along for the ride, I wanted a more reliable method for ensuring that I get sun up against Politoed (Tyranitar is dispatched by a Close Combat or Mach Punch from Infernape).

Ah, I have a habit for choosing Pokemon that aren't mainstream once in a while. Shiftry is one of those choices. I first saw its effectiveness on a RMT on Smogon, and I wanted to try it out ever since. It's astounded me in its efficiency. It gives me a secondary method for eliminating Tyranitar and a reliable way of taking out Hippowdon and Politoed. Shiftry also acts as my Chlorophyll abuser and revenge killer, keeping many threats in check. My team looked good at that point, but a troubling problem rose to the forefront: Stealth Rock. Keeping it off the field was a slight challenge, but getting it on my opponent's side was fairly easy. There was only one option for the job: Donphan.

Donphan is a good Pokemon. Its bulk gives me a way to deal with Terrakion and Excadrill more effectively, while it can lay and get rid of Stealth Rock for my team. Ice Shard from it is weak, but it works well against Dragons. It can be the difference between a victory and a loss, and that's been the case for a few battles, so I don't think of it lightly.

Note: Dragons don't give me too much trouble, despite the lack of a Steel, because of the fast pace of my team.

The Team in Detail

Female | Leftovers
    Ability: Drought
    EVs: 248 HP | 96 SpD | 164 Spe
    IVs: 0 Atk
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    ~ Overheat
    ~ Power Swap
    ~ Will-O-Wisp
    ~ Safeguard

Ninetales brings so many advantages to this team it isn't even funny. It's one of my Excadrill killers and brings the sun which enhances my team's ability to perform well. I don't lead with Ninetales because it is faster and more frail than the other weather inducers. However, should opposing inducers not be there, I will lead with Ninetales to get my team a quick advantage over the opposition. The Overheat and Power Swap combo is one that I've been using recently, and it works effectively. It punishes the special attackers that try to set up on Ninetales and in general helps with the team's low durability. Will-o-wisp also helps Volcarona, Shiftry, and Infernape set up on the opposition. Usually. one turn is all they will need to rampage past all the opposition. Safeguard gives me a temporary blanket to avoid potentially crippling status, which lets my Pokemon live longer. The EVs are fairly standard, with the exception of using 248 HP EVs to dodge a KO after 4 switchins to Stealth Rock. The IVs minimize confusion damage. Overall, Ninetales is a solid weather starter and team supporter that is not to be underestimated.

Female | Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP | 4 Atk | 252 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
    ~ Stealth Rock
    ~ Rapid Spin
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Ice Shard

Donphan is another critical piece of the puzzle that I cannot replace. It's my team's only physical wall and main sand counter. Excadrill, Landorus, and Terrakion are hard-pressed to get past it if they haven't boosted their Attack stats. It's also the reason this team works the way it does, without Stealth Rock eating at my team's health. I tend to bring Donphan in on any Pokemon that it threatens with a STAB Earthquake or one that I can get an easy Rapid Spin off of. The EVs maximize its physical defensive capabilities while the remaining 4 EVs go to pump up Donphan's Attack stat. Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin are Donphan's main draws for being on this team, who both loves and hates Stealth Rock. Spinblockers are usually not a problem because Shiftry gives them trouble with its boosted Dark Pulses and Leaf Storms. Earthquake is obligatory STAB with respectable power. Ice Shard lets me nail the Dragons and Landorus for a good amount of damage. Donphan overall is an amazing Pokemon that works well to help the other members of my team sweep.

Female | Choice Band
    Ability: Multiscale
    EVs: 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
    ~ Outrage
    ~ ExtremeSpeed
    ~ Dragon Claw
    ~ Fire Punch

Stall, opposing sun, and rain teams tend to buckle against CB Dragonite. Its power and bulk let it deal with most of the members of those types of teams. Multiscale only serves to reinforce its bulk and lets it survive nearly any attack if it's at full HP. Dragonite possesses the most powerful priority in my team, making it a crucial member for taking out weakened, but boosted Pokemon. I bring Dragonite in when I need to blast through my opponent's team without discrimination using powerful Dragon attacks. Outrage is my main STAB, and it does quite a number to those that don't resist it, and even then it does a number to some of its resists. ExtremeSpeed lets me snip off the weakened ones while Dragon Claw gives me a reliable secondary STAB that doesn't force it to stay in and confuse itself. Fire Punch rounds this set off by giving Dragonite a means of exploiting the sun and hitting Steel-types for a modest amount of damage, hopefully killing them. I don't see the need for Earthquake on this Dragonite because I have Infernape in my team.

Female | Leftovers
    Ability: Flame Body
    EVs: 4 Def | 252 SpA | 252 Spe
    IVs: 0 Atk
    Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Quiver Dance
    ~ Bug Buzz
    ~ Fiery Dance

Volcarona is my team's main sweeper, and arguably the best Sun sweeper in OU. It's my favorite Bug-type and is often the Pokemon that lets me come out from behind and score a win. It comes in on something it can force out, sets a sub up, and boosts until the Sub is broken. With Substitute, Volcarona has less to fear about status and revenge kills. The fact that I'm not using a Hidden Power that lowers my Speed stat gives me less to worry about when it comes to being outsped. Quiver Dance is Volcarona's best boosting move, boosting its best stats. Substitute's purpose has been delineated earlier. Fiery Dance is Volcarona's best attacking move under the sun, and the boosts start to stack up should the coin flip favor the raising of Special Attack. Bug Buzz is more consistent in power. The EVs are standard fare while the IVs let me minimize confusion damage.

Female | Life Orb
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 56 Atk | 252 SpA | 200 Spe
    Rash Nature (+SpA, -SpD)
    ~ Growth
    ~ Leaf Storm
    ~ Dark Pulse
    ~ Low Kick

Shiftry's effectiveness in 4th Gen OU was suspect at best. Now, with Ninetales bringing permanent sun with Drought, Shiftry's effectiveness has skyrocketed. It has all the tools needed to assist Ninetales and is my main lead against other weather teams. If I'm not using it as a means of winning the weather war, then I'm using it as my Chlorophyll abuser. Growth is an amazing move in the Sun, and Leaf Storm makes Hippowdon and Politoed cry. Dark Pulse punishes Ghosts and gives Shiftry reliable STAB that doesn't neuter its boosts. Low Kick is my way of ensuring Tyranitar stays down should Infernape somehow be removed from the game. The EVs ensure that I OHKO Tyranitar that don't have a Chople Berry while maximizing my Special Attack stat and allowing me to speed tie base 100 Scarfed Pokemon. A tad off-topic, but doesn't Shiftry look like a face?

Male | Life Orb
    Ability: Iron Fist / Blaze
    EVs: 4 HP | 252 Atk | 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
    ~ Swords Dance
    ~ Flare Blitz
    ~ Close Combat
    ~ Mach Punch

Infernape, the last, but most definitely not the least member of my team. He makes Tyranitar and Excadrill cry. Infernape's offensive presence lets me nab a Swords Dance easily, allowing me to pummel my opponent's team into the ground. Infernape is also my main method of defeating the blobs and Heatran. Swords Dance is his obligatory boosting move, while Flare Blitz is Infernape's strongest move under the sun. Close Combat allows me to beat many of Volcarona's counters while Mach Punch gives me priority to help take down Scarfed Pokemon looking to get a sweep on my team. Infernape's Mach Punch serves to supplement Dragonite's ExtremeSpeed and Donphan's Ice Shard. The EVs are standard, and I toggle between the abilities every once in a while.

One Last Glance at the Team
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Re: Sunny Supremacy (5th Gen. OU RMT)

Post by harsha on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:05 am

Here I go:

Congrats on using the Sun! It's a very fun weather to abuse because it's not as popular as Rain and Sand. Your counters to opposing weather are fairly reliable, so I won't criticize your team's effectiveness against Tyranitar and Politoed; it seems as though Shiftry would make short work of the both of them. Now I'll get cracking on the team, and I'll try and point out some counters that I find (if I find any).

Ninetales: I've really never seen this set before, but it looks fun to use! The Overheat->Power Split combo seems a little unreliable to me, but you can always switch out, so it's not a big deal. Safeguard is a cool choice since your sweepers (mainly Volcarona) won't get hit by crippling statuses which can hinder their sweeping ability. Overall, I think this unconventional set is pretty cool! I would suggest Energy Ball or something of the sort, but your not using her to attack; you want a Supporter.

Donphan: What am I supposed to say? It seems all good Sun teams carry him nowadays, unless they utilize Hyper Offense. He lays your Rocks and Spins others' away, so I have nothing to say.

Dragonite: Yay! A shoutout! Your CBNite works very well, and the Sun helps his cause. Outrage will OHKO and 2HKO nearly all opponents, and even nabs a handy 2HKO on Heatran, one of the Sun's main counters. He works well, and I don't think I would change him. Just try not to let Stealth Rock get him.

Volcarona: This is one cool bug, and is one of the most deadly Sweepers in OU. Stealth Rock can harm him, but you have a reliable way of Spinning in Donphan. Since you have no HP Ground, I suggest watching out for pHazing Heatrans, since they will give you a headache. You may want a Bulkier spread, with 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SAtk, but you seem to want all the power you can get, like most Sun players want.

Shiftry: Well, I know you have a knack for using uncommon Pokemon, and from what I've seen on some Smogon RMTs, Shiftry is a cool dude. Gets rid of Tyranitar and Politoed and has potential to sweep in the Sun. I would say that you could try out Venusaur, but this guy gets rid of Sand more efficiently, so I won't recommend it.

Infernape: It works, so I don't have much to say. Just make sure that you can account for his frailness, as opposing CBNites can KO him quickly with moves such as ExtremeSpeed. Cool Infernape!

Threats: Well, I would say that opposing weather is a big threat, but you have very reliable ways of defeating that. However, CB Azumarill may pose some problems, should the Rain be allowed to get up. Air Balloon Excadrill in the Sand would also pose a big threat, but you have Sand covered, as I said. Watch out for Specs Tornadus, who will be even more common with Thundie's banning that should come soon. Tornadus can hit nearly this whole team very hard. The only thing stopping that is Ninetales and Shiftry, as Shiftry takes Politoed out and Ninetales changes the weather. Overall, great team! I know my rate seems as though it won't help much, but hopefully it will. Good luck!

P.S. How did you get that art without the white background? Did you edit the pictures with Photoshop, or a program of the sort? The only reason I don't use the pictures you've shown me is the white background haha
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:01 pm

Regarding the art, I used iaza to make it transparent. Just follow the steps on the site. It's really quick and fast. Afterwards, I saved the images on imgur. Regarding CB Azumarill, it's a threat should I not get sun on the field, but otherwise, Dragonite and Shiftry make short work of it. Tornadus never really was a problem because of Donphan's Ice Shard and Dragonite's ExtremeSpeed.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2

Gonogo

Montreal

Post by Gonogo on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:40 pm

I am not a very good competitive battler, but I'll try my best to formulate a post that will hopefully be useful in improving this already-great team.

Nintetales: Power Swapping is a fun move to use and it's given you'll be using Ninetales, as this is a sun team.

Donphan: It's one of the best Rapid Spinners of the game, nothing much to say. Personally, I use a Life Orb Donphan for more damage. However, I find Leftovers is better since Donphan doesn't have a recovery move.

Dragonite: It works well in sun. Scarfed Latios won't OHKO you, which is a very important asset to Dragonite. Multiscale is very useful.

Volcarona: I suggest replacing Substitute by Hidden Power (Ground) just because you would be able to deal with Heatran more efficiently. Aside from that, Volcarona will do quite a massive amount of damage.

Shiftry: I love this thing. It's great! If you wanted a fully special Shiftry, Hidden Power (Fighting) or Focus Blast could do the job as well. In that case, you could max SAtk.

Infernape: It will get walled by the likes of Tentacruel, so perhaps Earthquake could be a possible change? I noticed Donphan is the only guy on your team with a Ground move, so if it's out of the way, you might get cause some problems.

Awesome team. 5/5. Good job.
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:55 pm

No one reads the text, eh? I don't bring Volcarona out if my opponent's Volcarona counters are still alive. The substitute is used to dodge status and make it even harder to revenge kill. Regarding Tentacruel, Flare Blitz from Infernape in the sun 2HKOes it, and it cannot do anything to Dragonite unless it has Ice Beam, and sometimes that doesn't even work because of Multiscale. Dragon Claw 2HKOes Tentacruel while Outrage can do the job in one shot (the OHKO is not guaranteed). Regarding Shiftry, I need Low Kick to OHKO Tyranitar, who laughs at Shiftry otherwise.

Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:13 pm

Wow. No other rates in over 24 hours?

harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:57 pm

Oh I see. Thanks for the help on editing images! Also, Dragonite does around 75% to Tornadus with ExtremeSpeed, so I guess you really don't have too many problems. Tyranitar may give you a hard time, even with Shiftry, though.
    Artist Smeargle
    Administrator
    Administrator

The Fanciest Man

Post by Artist Smeargle on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:12 pm

Because I am lazy...

Placeholder for rate, will likely come out soon after I post my little "essay".

"hiper" --()--

Rika is still dead.

Rips from http://www.pkparaiso.com/ pls give them more credit.

Credit to Mr. Sufat for this absolutely SMASHING avatar.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:00 am