The Treehouse

This is the forum for the Treehouse servers in Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown!.

Sand in your eyes

Gonogo

Montreal

Sand in your eyes

Post by Gonogo on Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Hey guys, this morning I wanted to create a sandstorm team for the "Wifi OU" metagame. Here is a first look at my team. Note: I tested it out today on the "Pokemon Online" server and the result was a 10-game win streak.

Tyranitar
    Ability: Sandstream
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Dance
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Fire Punch

Of course, any sand team needs to lead with either Hippowdon or T-tar. I prefer T-tar over Hippowdon because of its powerful attack and the fact that it can potentially take out a pokemon at the start of the game to give me a little cushion. Dragon Dance boosts both Attack and Speed, which allows him to deal a good amount of damage. Crunch and Stone Edge for both STABs, having a 120 and 150 base power respectively and a +1 Dragon Dance boost. Crunch takes out Psychic and Ghost types like say, Reuniclus and Gengar, while Stone Edge counters flying types. Fire Punch OHKO's Ferrothorn.

Excadrill
    Ability: Sand Rush
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Brick Break
    - Rock Slide

Ah, Excadrill. It shall ALWAYS be found on a sand team and for good reasons. First, with Jolly Nature, it attains a base speed of 604. The reason it is Jolly is that Excadrills are common in the OU tier, so I want minimum a speed tie if I run into one. Besides, Swords Dance already brings its already great attack to immense. Earthquake is my favorite move in the entire game, with 16 PP(if running max PP), a STAB base of 150 and an accuracy of 100, which is great. Brick Break usually 2HKO's Ferrothorn while Rock Slide hurts uh, Volcarona and other potential threats. On another note, I am excited to see how Sandslash does when he will receive the Sand Rush ability through the Dream World. I wonder if it can move up to borderline, or even OU.

Heatran
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Speed / 4 HP
    IVs: 30 Spd / 31 everywhere else
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Overheat
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power (Ice)
    - Dragon Pulse

Heatran is my special sweeper, thrown in mostly to take out Pokemon I want out of the way so Excadrill can do his job as a physical sweeper. First off, 210 base power for Overheat is huge, considering its SAtk has a base of 394 with the EVs and Modest Nature. Earth Power takes out other Heatrans while HP Ice takes out Gliscor, my Excadrill's main counter. Since I don't have any Dragon type on this team, Dragon Pulse takes them out, but since I already have HP Ice, I might think of replacing it by Dark Pulse. We'll see. Heatran can easily switch in any ground moves as well, which is nice. Its ability, Flash Fire, allows it to get a free switch in on fire moves and get a fire move boost, which is nice.

Ferrothorn
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Atk
    Impish Nature (- SAtk, + Def)
    - Leech Seed
    - Thunder Wave
    - Power Whip
    - Spikes

Ferrothorn is a common wall in OU, and for good reasons. In this team, it resists sandstorm damage, which is always nice. The EVs above are usually those used on this guy. Leech Seed for some healing and damage, T-Wave to slow down my opponent, it's a great move in general. Power Whip has a nice 180 base power with STAB, and can deal a good amount of damage to those fragile pokemon. Spikes is for some entry hazard damage. Rocky Helmet and Iron Barbs really hurt physical sweepers or leads. I've already switched this guy into a Mienshao lead who was about to use Fake Out. I think that Mienshao got damaged more than 4 times more than me.

Reuniclus
    Ability: Magic Guard
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SAtk
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, - Atk)
    - Recover
    - Acid Armor
    - Psyshock
    - Focus Blast

This is my unique set for Reuniclus. It has the great Magic Guard ability, which means no damage from sandstorm as well as from Toxic/Burn status. The only way to take this thing down is by hitting it with damaging moves. Acid Armor is there to significantly boost my defense, making Reuniclus very bulky. Recover is used to get back half my HP. It walls a lot of physical sweepers and is usually a game-winner at the end of a match, if there is one pokemon on each side, a physical sweeper vs Reuniclus. Anyways, Psyshock takes care of Chansey and Blissey whilst Focus Blast takes out Dark types.

Breloom
    Ability: Effect Spore
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, - SAtk)
    - Spore
    - Drain Punch
    - Seed Bomb
    - Stone Edge

[center]Scarfloom. Why would I use a Scarf on Breloom? Well, I usually send it in a lead, Spore something, then get outta there. It's always nice to be able to put a pokemon to sleep, and give you extra turns. Also, I often surprise opponents by outspeeding them. Drain Punch kills Dark and Chansey/Blissey. Seed Bomb takes care of Swampert, Gastrodon and Quagsire. Stone Edge kills Volcarona, and flying types. I once caught a Volcarona switching in against Breloom and I had used Stone Edge to OHKO it. LOL. Well, that's mostly it for now. I might edit it later. Tomorrow, I will do the synergy and write a list of possible changes in the movesets, according to some new battling experiences. Good night to all.

Last edited by Gonogo on Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:35 pm; edited 4 times in total
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Re: Sand in your eyes

Post by harsha on Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:28 pm

Putting this out there. I'll get to rating it soon.

EDIT: Ok, I realize what you're trying to do with Ferrothorn; I used to have the same idea. However, take the Rocky Helmet off of him; recovery is more useful than a little extra damage when the opponent hits you with a Physical attack. I think you should try out the standard CM Reuniclus solely because you need a bigger Special side. Also, I recommend you change the Focus Sash on Tar to a Lum Berry or Leftovers. That way, he can sweep and not worry about status. Also, I recommend X-Scissor over Brick Break on the mole. That way, you can hurt Bronzong. More may come later.

Last edited by Harsha on Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:03 am; edited 2 times in total
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:42 am

You do mean Magic Guard, right? Also, Bulk Up Conkeldurr will give you problems, despite the presence of Reuniclus on your team, solely because you're running Psyshock over Psychic.

Gonogo

Montreal

Post by Gonogo on Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:05 pm

Harsha: I am currently thinking of replacing Acid Armor by Calm Mind. I will decide after a few more test battles.

Rick: Whilst Conkeldurr bulks up, I can use Acid Armor. Reuniclus resists its STAB fighting moves, so Conkeldurr is forced into using Payback. However, considering how slow Reuniclus is, Conkelderp will obviously go first, and neglect the boost. That means Payback has a base power of 50, without STAB. It won't do much to my Reuniclus, especially after I use a couple of Acid Armors. I can eventually take it down with STAB Psyshock. And, my mistake, I meant Magic Guard, not Wonder Guard.
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:56 pm

ConkelHURR that use Payback typically have a Brave Nature and 0 Speed IVs, making them slower than your Reuniclus. Just saying.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2
    harsha
    Server Admin Alumnus
    Server Admin Alumnus

Post by harsha on Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:18 pm

That didn't answer my other suggestions. The Ferro is pretty vulnerable without Leftover recovery. X-Scissor has more power than Brick Break and allows you to hit Bronzong... So...
    Trinitrotoluene
    Administrator
    Administrator

smile ◠‿◠
    「st☆rlight」

Post by Trinitrotoluene on Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:20 pm

Regarding Ferrothorn, you should consider a Shed Shell, so DragMag teams don't have a field day against you.

3ds fc: 0173-1523-3949
    pokémon x: rebecca
    pokémon y: lincoln
    twitter handle: @246_Tritone
    np: calibre - half full - shelf life vol. 2

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:38 am